Trailer for Gold Diggers of Broadway, 1929?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

aldiboronti

Trailer for Gold Diggers of Broadway, 1929?

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am

From IMDB:

In a separately filmed trailer, Vitaphone production reel #3070, Conway Tearle acts as master of ceremonies, while other members of the cast do 'bits'.

I presume this too is lost but is there any other information on it such as which artists did 'bits', etc? I can't find even a reference to it by searching, other than that IMDB trivia contributed by an unnamed person.

Scott Eckhardt

Re: Trailer for Gold Diggers of Broadway, 1929?

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 12:17 pm

aldiboronti wrote:From IMDB:

In a separately filmed trailer, Vitaphone production reel #3070, Conway Tearle acts as master of ceremonies, while other members of the cast do 'bits'.

I presume this too is lost but is there any other information on it such as which artists did 'bits', etc? I can't find even a reference to it by searching, other than that IMDB trivia contributed by an unnamed person.

I believe the vitaphone disc for the trailer exsists. As I recall, Winnie Lightner does a bit of "Mechanical Man" on the bit that I heard.

BixB

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 am

It was included in an LP released by Take Two years ago entitled Lost Films. It contains the soundtrack discs for a number of otherwise lost films trailers or features. HONKY TONK, QUEEN OF THE NIGHT CLUBS and others are included.
Joe Busam

vitaphone

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 am

Yes, UCLA (and others) have the Vitaphone disk for the GDOB (and many other) 1928-30 WB trailers. No film survives.

The TKE TWO LP with many Vitaphone Trailer disks is their SOUNDTRACKS LOST FILMS, occasionally on eBay. TT's A NIGHT AT THE PALACE features Vitaphone disks of many vaudevillians.

Interestingly, one of the few post-1931 trailers that does not survive is for CONVENTION CITY!

David Alp

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I am wondering if this 54 seconds of audio is actually a fragment of audio from the trailer, with Winnie Lightner doing her "bit"?

I cannot determine who the man is? He sounds English to me? But then again I originally thought Conway Tearle was English, until I just checked IMDb and found out he was born in New York City.

Anyone know where this audio is from?

daveboz

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 am

David Alp wrote:I am wondering if this 54 seconds of audio is actually a fragment of audio from the trailer, with Winnie Lightner doing her "bit"?

I cannot determine who the man is? He sounds English to me? But then again I originally thought Conway Tearle was English, until I just checked IMDb and found out he was born in New York City.

Anyone know where this audio is from?

=====

Yes, it is from the trailer. I have a cassette tape of the entire audio from a 1980s radio broadcast (David Lennick's NIGHT CAMP on CBC Radio). If any of my decks still worked I would transfer and upload. Sorry!
yer pal Dave

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

daveboz wrote:Yes, it is from the trailer. I have a cassette tape of the entire audio from a 1980s radio broadcast (David Lennick's NIGHT CAMP on CBC Radio). If any of my decks still worked I would transfer and upload. Sorry!

OK, that's weird, I was just making a digital copy recently of an old cassette I'd made of Night Camp, where Lennick played a lot of Star Trek-related recordings. I'd love to hear more episodes of that show.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

aldiboronti

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Just found the whole audio for the trailer on Youtube.

I too would love to know who the compere is, he sounds so familiar yet I can't quite place him.

BTW anyone know what movie that still is from?

BixB

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 am

NO NO NANETTE.
Joe Busam

aldiboronti

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 pm

BixB wrote:NO NO NANETTE.

Thank you, BixB.

David Alp

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Wow a NINE minute trailer! Thank you for finding it. It was an extraordinary listen-to.

Changsham

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 5:55 pm

For those who haven't heard the complete Vitaphone sound for GDOB I recommend making a donation to THE VITAPHONE PROJECT and get the complete audio of the film including overture on CD. Theres lots of singing, music and the dialogue heavy humourous script with few silent moments is surprisingly enjoyable easily listening and helps one get a good mental picture of what the film was like. Not much different to a radio drama. I play it often when doing something else around the house. Never tire of it.
Last edited by Changsham on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Changsham

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm

aldiboronti wrote:Just found the whole audio for the trailer on Youtube.

I too would love to know who the compere is, he sounds so familiar yet I can't quite place him.

BTW anyone know what movie that still is from?

I believe it's Conway Tearle who plays the leading man in the film. Winnie and Albert Gram address him by name in the trailer.

Return to Talking About Talkies