Trailer for Gold Diggers of Broadway, 1929?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

aldiboronti

Trailer for Gold Diggers of Broadway, 1929?

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 10:05 am

From IMDB:

In a separately filmed trailer, Vitaphone production reel #3070, Conway Tearle acts as master of ceremonies, while other members of the cast do 'bits'.

I presume this too is lost but is there any other information on it such as which artists did 'bits', etc? I can't find even a reference to it by searching, other than that IMDB trivia contributed by an unnamed person.

Scott Eckhardt

Re: Trailer for Gold Diggers of Broadway, 1929?

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 12:17 pm

aldiboronti wrote:From IMDB:

In a separately filmed trailer, Vitaphone production reel #3070, Conway Tearle acts as master of ceremonies, while other members of the cast do 'bits'.

I presume this too is lost but is there any other information on it such as which artists did 'bits', etc? I can't find even a reference to it by searching, other than that IMDB trivia contributed by an unnamed person.

I believe the vitaphone disc for the trailer exsists. As I recall, Winnie Lightner does a bit of "Mechanical Man" on the bit that I heard.

BixB

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 am

It was included in an LP released by Take Two years ago entitled Lost Films. It contains the soundtrack discs for a number of otherwise lost films trailers or features. HONKY TONK, QUEEN OF THE NIGHT CLUBS and others are included.
Joe Busam

vitaphone

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 am

Yes, UCLA (and others) have the Vitaphone disk for the GDOB (and many other) 1928-30 WB trailers. No film survives.

The TKE TWO LP with many Vitaphone Trailer disks is their SOUNDTRACKS LOST FILMS, occasionally on eBay. TT's A NIGHT AT THE PALACE features Vitaphone disks of many vaudevillians.

Interestingly, one of the few post-1931 trailers that does not survive is for CONVENTION CITY!

David Alp

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I am wondering if this 54 seconds of audio is actually a fragment of audio from the trailer, with Winnie Lightner doing her "bit"?

I cannot determine who the man is? He sounds English to me? But then again I originally thought Conway Tearle was English, until I just checked IMDb and found out he was born in New York City.

Anyone know where this audio is from?

daveboz

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 am

David Alp wrote:I am wondering if this 54 seconds of audio is actually a fragment of audio from the trailer, with Winnie Lightner doing her "bit"?

I cannot determine who the man is? He sounds English to me? But then again I originally thought Conway Tearle was English, until I just checked IMDb and found out he was born in New York City.

Anyone know where this audio is from?

=====

Yes, it is from the trailer. I have a cassette tape of the entire audio from a 1980s radio broadcast (David Lennick's NIGHT CAMP on CBC Radio). If any of my decks still worked I would transfer and upload. Sorry!
yer pal Dave

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

daveboz wrote:Yes, it is from the trailer. I have a cassette tape of the entire audio from a 1980s radio broadcast (David Lennick's NIGHT CAMP on CBC Radio). If any of my decks still worked I would transfer and upload. Sorry!

OK, that's weird, I was just making a digital copy recently of an old cassette I'd made of Night Camp, where Lennick played a lot of Star Trek-related recordings. I'd love to hear more episodes of that show.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

aldiboronti

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 pm

Just found the whole audio for the trailer on Youtube.

I too would love to know who the compere is, he sounds so familiar yet I can't quite place him.

BTW anyone know what movie that still is from?

BixB

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 am

NO NO NANETTE.
Joe Busam

aldiboronti

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 pm

BixB wrote:NO NO NANETTE.

Thank you, BixB.

Return to Talking About Talkies