Journey's End (30)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Michael O'Regan

Journey's End (30)

PostSun May 07, 2017 8:40 am

I just watched this for the first time.
Unlike many, I don't usually have any problem with David Manners, but, here...amateurishly inadequate, shall I say.
What an extraordinary performance by Colin Clive.
Any sign of a restored version of this ever appearing?

David Pierce

Re: Journey's End (30)

PostSun May 07, 2017 10:53 am

Michael O'Regan wrote:I just watched this for the first time.
Unlike many, I don't usually have any problem with David Manners, but, here...amateurishly inadequate, shall I say.

Where did you see the film? It is not that common.

David

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun May 07, 2017 1:52 pm

David Pierce wrote:
Michael O'Regan wrote:I just watched this for the first time.

Where did you see the film? It is not that common.

David

A rather rough copy is still on YouTube, although I recall the one shown on Channel 4 (British) as being very good.

There appears to have been a German version, DER ANDERE SEITE / THE OTHER SIDE, made in 1931, but I have no idea if it exists.

andybenz

PostSun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm

David Pierce wrote:There appears to have been a German version, DER ANDERE SEITE / THE OTHER SIDE, made in 1931, but I have no idea if it exists.

Yes, the German version still exists. A print of this is at the Bundesarchiv:

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/benutzungsme ... archresult

Richard P. May

PostMon May 08, 2017 8:23 am

I couldn't say where I heard this, but didn't the BFI do a restoration from the original negative a few years ago?
Dick May

Brooksie

PostMon May 08, 2017 10:56 am

Richard P. May wrote:I couldn't say where I heard this, but didn't the BFI do a restoration from the original negative a few years ago?

At the very least, I believe the BFI announced a screening as part of the centenary of World War I. A remake is also currently in the works. If they were planning to release a restoration at any time, it would be now.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon May 08, 2017 1:05 pm

andybenz wrote:
David Pierce wrote:There appears to have been a German version, DER ANDERE SEITE / THE OTHER SIDE, made in 1931, but I have no idea if it exists.

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/benutzungsme ... archresult" target="_blank

That's excellent news, thank you. I did wonder, as I read it had been banned in 1933 for its pacifist content, and presumably for showing the British in a sympathetic light.

s.w.a.c.

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Michael O'Regan wrote:Unlike many, I don't usually have any problem with David Manners, but, here...amateurishly inadequate, shall I say.

To be fair, it was his first major film role, following one uncredited, unnamed bit part, so he was probably as uncomfortable in front of a microphone as he was a camera at that point. I should revisit the film, I have a hazy-looking VHS copy I picked up at one of my first Cinefests, I imagine it'll look even worse than ever on a plasma flatscreen.

Since he's a fellow Haligonian, I have a soft spot for him, while seeing his limitations as an actor. Although he does rise to the occasion in some titles, I think I liked him best in The Death Kiss, where he seems more relaxed and natural than in other titles, maybe because there was less pressure on a Poverty Row set than at Warner Bros. or Universal.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Michael O'Regan

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:20 pm

I liked him in The Last Flight.

greta de groat

PostWed May 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Michael O'Regan wrote:I liked him in The Last Flight.

After years of ridiculing him for his hapless role in Dracula, i realized i'm actually quite fond of him, to the point that i'll watch anything he's in. He did get stuck in lots of boring "love interest" parts, but he's good when he has the chance. I especially like him in The Miracle Woman, and he looked like he was having a ball in Crooner.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Penfold

PostSun May 14, 2017 7:26 am

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
andybenz wrote:

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/benutzungsme ... archresult" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

That's excellent news, thank you. I did wonder, as I read it had been banned in 1933 for its pacifist content, and presumably for showing the British in a sympathetic light.

It's a strange one; slightly opened out from the UK/Hollywood version which stuck very closely to the play; Conrad Veidt as Stanhope is magnificent, Fritz Rasp troubling as the Sergeant. Once you get past the British officers clicking heels in salute, it's a fine version. The Goethe Institute in London have/had a 16mm print which was loaned out to the British Silent Film Festival about ten years ago. What with everything else going on centenarywise, it might yet get a screening so keep your eyes peeled.

Also, James Whale helmed the sequel to All Quiet on The Western Front, The Road Back, which is even harder to see......but I've heard a rumour that it may appearat a screening in Bologna's Cinema Ritrovata festival next month, so again, keep your eyes peeled.
I could use some digital restoration myself...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm

I found THE ROAD BACK on YT a couple of nights ago, and as I'd been wanting to see it for 40+ years chose it for that evening's movie. I know it's been shown in New York, but finances, commitments (work, cat) meant a no-no, there alas...

wich2

PostSun May 14, 2017 5:27 pm

greta de groat wrote:He did get stuck in lots of boring "love interest" parts, but he's good when he has the chance. I especially like him in The Miracle Woman, and he looked like he was having a ball in Crooner.
greta

Haven't seen CROONER yet. But after knowing nothing but his limp-noodle-leads in the Uni horrors (actually, he's the least so in THE MUMMY), his work in MIRACLE WORKER was a revelation.

A VERY good turn.

-Craig

Dean Thompson

PostSun May 14, 2017 6:52 pm

wich2 wrote:
Haven't seen CROONER yet. But after knowing nothing but his limp-noodle-leads in the Uni horrors (actually, he's the least so in THE MUMMY), his work in MIRACLE WORKER was a revelation.

A VERY good turn.

-Craig

For some years I've been meaning to see The Miracle Woman for both Stanwyck and Capra. If Manners is really that good in this film (throughout Dracula I kept wishing that Lugosi would just bite him and be done with it), there's all the more reason now.

s.w.a.c.

PostMon May 15, 2017 6:18 am

The Road Back was shown at the final Cinefest in Syracuse, and despite being a follow-up to a well-known film as well as being directed by James Whale (which you think would ensure the film was more readily available), its poor reputation seems to be duly earned. There's some powerful social commentary here, which was blunted by Universal's softening of the film's anti-Nazi stance, but leads John "Dusty" King and Richard Cromwell don't seem to be up to the demands of the material.

At least you've got Slim Summerville and Andy Devine to keep things watchable...

boblipton

PostMon May 15, 2017 7:01 am

There was some discussion about this movie last year, after it had played at the Museum of Modern Art. I thought it a minor sequel to a great movie, and thought King was awful. Others disagreed.

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon May 15, 2017 7:55 am

greta de groat wrote:

After years of ridiculing him for his hapless role in Dracula, i realized i'm actually quite fond of him, to the point that i'll watch anything he's in. He did get stuck in lots of boring "love interest" parts, but he's good when he has the chance. I especially like him in The Miracle Woman, and he looked like he was having a ball in Crooner.

greta

Add me to the list of fans of Manners. I noticed a year or so ago that, physically, he resembles John Hamm. John Hamm's callow, youthful brother, perhaps, but still easy on the eyes.

In addition to the previously mentioned Crooner and The Miracle Woman, I enjoyed him in Beauty & The Boss and Man Wanted. Even in his most thankless outings, like Roman Scandals, he's an amiable presence.

I'd be interested to see his Edwin Drood and Lucky Fugitives.

And while still hapless, he's in my favorite Universal horror of all, The Black Cat.

I think that taking the first act away from him in Dracula and giving it to Dwight Frye damned Manners to forever be a cinematic milquetoast.

Sadly, he was rarely asked to be anything more than pretty. But when you look like that ...

In those who haven't read it, here's an interesting two-part interview when he was a feisty old man:

http://www.rickmckay.com/Rick%20McKay%20-%20David%20Manners1.html

http://www.rickmckay.com/Rick%20McKay%20-%20David%20Manners%20The%20Final%20Interview2.htm

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon May 15, 2017 7:55 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:The Road Back was shown at the final Cinefest in Syracuse, and despite being a follow-up to a well-known film as well as being directed by James Whale (which you think would ensure the film was more readily available), its poor reputation seems to be duly earned. There's some powerful social commentary here, which was blunted by Universal's softening of the film's anti-Nazi stance, but leads John "Dusty" King and Richard Cromwell don't seem to be up to the demands of the material.

At least you've got Slim Summerville and Andy Devine to keep things watchable...

IIRC, both Whale's original version and the studio-butchered release print survive. I desperately want to see both.

BixB

PostMon May 15, 2017 9:41 am

That THE ROAD BACK has never been made available on home video is a real head scratcher to me. While a letdown compared to its predecessor, it is an interesting followup to a much celebrated film. I wonder if it's a rights issue. Something that has been plaguing a number of older films of late. I had the good fortune of seeing a lovely 16mm original from a private collection a few years back.
Joe Busam

Michael O'Regan

PostMon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

He's always reminded me somewhat of Zeppo Marx.

Michael O'Regan

PostMon May 15, 2017 11:29 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
greta de groat wrote:

greta

Add me to the list of fans of Manners. I noticed a year or so ago that, physically, he resembles John Hamm. John Hamm's callow, youthful brother, perhaps, but still easy on the eyes.

In addition to the previously mentioned Crooner and The Miracle Woman, I enjoyed him in Beauty & The Boss and Man Wanted. Even in his most thankless outings, like Roman Scandals, he's an amiable presence.

I'd be interested to see his Edwin Drood and Lucky Fugitives.

And while still hapless, he's in my favorite Universal horror of all, The Black Cat.

I think that taking the first act away from him in Dracula and giving it to Dwight Frye damned Manners to forever be a cinematic milquetoast.

Sadly, he was rarely asked to be anything more than pretty. But when you look like that ...

In those who haven't read it, here's an interesting two-part interview when he was a feisty old man:

http://www.rickmckay.com/Rick%20McKay%20-%20David%20Manners1.html

http://www.rickmckay.com/Rick%20McKay%20-%20David%20Manners%20The%20Final%20Interview2.htm

I hadn't read those interviews before.
They are very moving.

bobfells

PostMon May 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Re David Manners as author, here's a link featuring some of his books:
http://www.davidmanners.com/books.html" target="_blank

I don't think anybody mentioned the film that arguably has his best performance: JALNA (1935). Directed with visual flair by John Cromwell, the ensemble cast is terrific although the ending is disturbing. I saw it once on TCM and thought it pretty good with the caveat that it had better have a terrific ending. It didn't. At any rate, Manners plays an author or at least a would-be author. He goofs off a lot but then pretends to be busy typing when somebody comes by. Interesting character and not the usual nice guy.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm

bobfells wrote:Re David Manners as author, here's a link featuring some of his books:
http://www.davidmanners.com/books.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

I'm looking for a decent copy of Convenient Season, given that it's also set in Manners' home province of Nova Scotia. I believe it's set in the Annapolis Valley, an area I'm quite fond of (and also owe my existence to, since my parents met at Acadia University there).

greta de groat

PostThu May 18, 2017 4:18 pm

I'm killing time in the airport right now with my iPad and it's not convient to search for the title, but I recently saw a film with Manners and Ann Dvorak as an unlikely pair of small town rival grocers. He was even game for a slapstick chase sequence, though I was thinking it was probably films like this that made him decide to leave the business.

For some reason it took me years to notice how good looking he was.

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Return to Talking About Talkies