BROADMINDED (1931)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

BROADMINDED (1931)

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Watching this movie last night had the feeling it was originally one of those early musicals whose songs were deleted when the genre became unpopular in 1930/31. Would this be the case?

bradleyem

Re: BROADMINDED (1931)

PostSun May 21, 2017 3:42 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Watching this movie last night had the feeling it was originally one of those early musicals whose songs were deleted when the genre became unpopular in 1930/31. Would this be the case?

I'm not convinced that was the case with BROADMINDED, which was filmed in the spring of 1931, when the lull in film musicals had definitely set in, and none of the initial trade reports identify it as an intended musical. I know Kalmar and Ruby were involved in the scenario, but WB-FN copyrighted only one of their songs identified as written for that film ("One Little Word From You," and I can't remember if that was heard on screen or not).

Contrast that with Joe E. Brown's immediately preceding pictures -- MAYBE IT'S LOVE, SIT TIGHT and GOING WILD, which have limited musical content as released and waste musical performers in their casts (Laura Lee, Lawrence Gray, Winnie Lightner, Paul Gregory), hinting at plans curtailed. I think Richard Barrios has written the same.

Return to Talking About Talkies