Anna Karenina with Vivien Leigh - on DVD?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

brendangcarroll

Anna Karenina with Vivien Leigh - on DVD?

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 am

I am trying to find a DVD or better, Blu-ray of the uncut version of Korda's 1948 film version of ANNA KARENINA starring Vivien Leigh but all of the available versions on Amazon are far shorter than the original 139 minutes, with most being 112 or even less.

Can anyone here advise me if the uncut, restored film has been issued in decent quality and if so, by which company?

Is it even still available, if it ever was?

Thanks!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

dede

Re: Anna Karenina with Vivien Leigh - on DVD?

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 2:13 am

brendangcarroll wrote:I am trying to find a DVD or better, Blu-ray of the uncut version of Korda's 1948 film version of ANNA KARENINA starring Vivien Leigh but all of the available versions on Amazon are far shorter than the original 139 minutes, with most being 112 or even less.

Can anyone here advise me if the uncut, restored film has been issued in decent quality and if so, by which company?

Is it even still available, if it ever was?

Thanks!

Amazon.co.uk have it

moviepas

Re: Anna Karenina with Vivien Leigh - on DVD?

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 3:04 pm

I looked at the holdings at the BFI/NFA Collections and they have copies in various formats like negatives and positives just under 10,000ft in 35mm length so the 139 mins you speak about seems to be that original released length. The 134 and 135mins seen on Amazon.co.uk is PAL TV system speed up of the material. Which is about 4mins in 90mins of running time. In the 1940s some films made by Herbert Wilcox in England are on Network DVD up to reel shorter than released and called re-released version. Does get me mad at such situations. I can only assume the editor thru out the edited footage when he reduced the length of the re-issue copies. Not in favour of this. Many 30s Australian films from one steady 30s producer who ceased feature when the war got going came back from UK and the only copies with at least a reel missing in length as they were used in double bills on UK screens. The longtime head of the Australian film archives(NFSA) in my city, Ken Berryman, told this in a conversation in his office about 12 years ago.

Return to Talking About Talkies