not quite vitaphone: postwar sound-on-disc?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Spiny Norman

not quite vitaphone: postwar sound-on-disc?

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am

Apparently the set below, like the vitaphone system, plays film and a record at the same time.

Like these for example:

This is nøt å signåture.™

Christopher Jacobs

Re: not quite vitaphone: postwar sound-on-disc?

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:53 am

I used to have a couple of those Americom Super 8 releases (mainly VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, as I recall, which had several reels available but I had only one or two). The flimsy plastic records were re-recorded so they would approximately synchronize with the projector running at the typical home-movie 18 fps, so everything sounded slow and dragged out. Still it was fun in those days to hear sound with a reel's worth of movie (even black-and-white pan-and-scan) instead of just the brief silent clips and abridgements that were the standard. Fond memories of getting them to synch reasonably well. I accidentally left the record too close to a desk lamp one night, and the middle grooves all melted flat, making it unplayable. Now, of course, the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Blu-ray is under $10, about 3/4 to half the cost of an old single-reel 8- to 9-minute 8mm excerpt with the record, with a gorgeous-looking full color Cinemascope picture and its original 4-track stereo soundtrack, along with a commentary and some bonus features! Need to rewatch that again one of these days.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Not seen one of those before!

Lamar

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:05 am

That's a G.E. Show N'Tell. You play a record and feed a film strip into the slot on the right. A neighbor won one of these on the Chicago Bozo show, by cheating she claimed.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ge+show+n+tell&FORM=HDRSC2

wich2

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 am

Yeah, that viewer was not a necessary part of the Americom films system, which "worked" (sort of...) with any projector.

Return to Talking About Talkies