Train to Busan (2016) Korean

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

Train to Busan (2016) Korean

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm

I learned of this on an internet show. Some say its the best film made (and certainly of 2016). Anybody seen it? and your opinions?

Penfold

Re: Train to Busan (2016) Korean

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:15 am

sepiatone wrote:I learned of this on an internet show. Some say its the best film made (and certainly of 2016). Anybody seen it? and your opinions?

Best film I saw last year.....and when it was screened again locally, I went again. Brilliantly directed, great scenario; characters you do give a damn about, character arcs over the length of the film. Not just your standard zombie flick. Well worth your time and dollars; it was my way in to South Korean cinema and have spent a fair chunk of the year since catching up, seeing what I had missed, which was a fair few fine films.
I could use some digital restoration myself...

Arndt

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 8:59 am

I have not seen this film, but am I the only person who is perplexed by the ubiquity of zombies these days? They seem to be everywhere on big or small screens. Frankly I find them not interesting enough to warrant so much attention. Also, how can you still make zombie movies after SHAUN OF THE DEAD?
MELIOR

boblipton

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:25 am

Arndt wrote:I have not seen this film, but am I the only person who is perplexed by the ubiquity of zombies these days? They seem to be everywhere on big or small screens. Frankly I find them not interesting enough to warrant so much attention. Also, how can you still make zombie movies after SHAUN OF THE DEAD?

Well, I'm not a fan of Zombie movies in particular, nor horror in general; it all seems to me to be Jump fright, if you take my meaning. It's lost its symbolic meaning, so important for non-mimetic fiction.

However, so long as people go to see zombie movies, they'll make more.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Arndt

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:37 am

boblipton wrote:However, so long as people go to see zombie movies, they'll make more.Bob

I get that. What I do not get is why people have not grown tired of them. Zombies are such lazy, generic threats. I like my monsters to have darkly romantic back stories which may offer more possibilities for resolution than a bullet to the head. Zombies are the popcorn of the monster universe.
MELIOR

Return to Talking About Talkies