Good recent horror movies

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Arndt

Good recent horror movies

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am

Now that there is a thread on TRAIN TO BUSAN I can come out of the woodwork with this rather OT thread. I like watching original, intelligent, atmospheric horror films, but there are few other genres where quality is so hard to find. My problem is that I do not like gore and general unpleasantness, so a lot of the recent crop do not do anything for me.
Films like the CONJURING series or THE WOMAN IN BLACK, while they go for a more traditional spookiness, overdo the shock effects so that they are no longer well-told stories but "I dare you" theme park thrill rides.
Here are some recent horror films I have enjoyed. Maybe someone could make some suggestions based on the list:

The Japanese originals of THE RING and THE GRUDGE.
The Korean film TWO SISTERS.
Sam Raimi's tongue-in-cheek DRAG ME TO HELL.
The disturbing, stylish and truly frightening IT FOLLOWS.
The quite original, moving and gripping THE BABADOOK.
MELIOR

Arndt

Re: Good recent horror movies

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am

I forgot the very atmospheric and original EL ORFANATO.
MELIOR

Frederica

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Have you seen The Others? I liked that quite a bit.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

ajabrams

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 12:49 pm

Arndt wrote:Now that there is a thread on TRAIN TO BUSAN I can come out of the woodwork with this rather OT thread. I like watching original, intelligent, atmospheric horror films, but there are few other genres where quality is so hard to find. My problem is that I do not like gore and general unpleasantness, so a lot of the recent crop do not do anything for me.
Films like the CONJURING series or THE WOMAN IN BLACK, while they go for a more traditional spookiness, overdo the shock effects so that they are no longer well-told stories but "I dare you" theme park thrill rides.
Here are some recent horror films I have enjoyed. Maybe someone could make some suggestions based on the list:

The Japanese originals of THE RING and THE GRUDGE.
The Korean film TWO SISTERS.
Sam Raimi's tongue-in-cheek DRAG ME TO HELL.
The disturbing, stylish and truly frightening IT FOLLOWS.
The quite original, moving and gripping THE BABADOOK.

I think you would like Robert Eggers' THE WITCH. It's intelligent, moody and chilling.

Christopher Jacobs

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 2:16 pm

It's really more of a modern urban crime thriller with strong elements of classic horror, but DON'T BREATHE (2016) is very effective once it gets going and gets more intense as it progresses. Great suspense, decent acting, wonderful atmosphere. Some parts rather predictable, others completely unexpected, all with a reasonably satisfying resolution despite a few plot gaps that might have been nice to explore, but at only 89 minutes it really moves right along nicely without wasting time on unnecessary over-exposition that would just slow things down.

35MM

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 2:37 pm

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night.
CURSES!

Daniel Eagan

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Let the Right One In, a Swedish movie, and its English-language remake Let Me In.
It Follows.

SilentsPlease

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 1:11 pm

Some really recent good horror films that came out, in fact, this year. "Split" was touted as M. Night Shyamalan returning to his former great form. The low budget but innovative horror film with a racial theme "Get Out" is especially heavily praised this year, not to mention a smash hit. "A Ghost Story" is also heavily touted, and is currently still in theaters.

35MM

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 12:22 pm

You might also give "The Witch" (2015) a try.
CURSES!

Return to Talking About Talkies