Are Movie Titles...Entitled? (Why Do Film Titles Change?)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Donald Binks

Re: Are Movie Titles...Entitled? (Why Do Film Titles Change?

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Brooksie wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:Also odd is the Imdb's habit of listing British films by US release titles that haven't been used in 80 years. Looking for Hitchcock's Young & Innocent? Try searching for The Girl Was Young instead. Hitch's Rich & Strange? Try East of Shanghai instead.

The same is true of a lot of foreign films. Aside from the US release title, you'll often see the American release date used instead of the country of origin's release date. Sometimes these differ by a number of years, and it makes things very confusing.

Aw, come now, next minute you'll be telling me IMDB is biased.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

wich2

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 am

Donald Binks wrote:Aw, come now, next minute you'll be telling me IMDB is biased.

It may be biased (U.S.-wise, I assume you mean?) - but's it's Old Blighty based! (At least, as far as origin.)

Donald Binks

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 4:10 pm

wich2 wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:Aw, come now, next minute you'll be telling me IMDB is biased.

It may be biased (U.S.-wise, I assume you mean?) - but's it's Old Blighty based! (At least, as far as origin.)

I have just found it hard sometimes when looking up films. One would think that it would be a good policy to list films according to their title as released in the country of origin? One is not always aware what you folks in the U.S., have decided to call a picture.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

precode

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 7:19 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
wich2 wrote:

I have just found it hard sometimes when looking up films. One would think that it would be a good policy to list films according to their title as released in the country of origin? One is not always aware what you folks in the U.S., have decided to call a picture.

Actually, they used to do just that, but in recent years they've defaulted to English, at least for those films that played in North America and the UK. I assume this was done because of user complaints. Interestingly, though, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH is still defaulting to STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, even though that title was abandoned in the mid-90s.

Mike S.
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies