El codigo penal (1931)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

todmichel

El codigo penal (1931)

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Apparently, Phil Rosen's "El codigo penal" (1931) - the alternate Spanish-language version of Howard Hawks' "The Criminal Code" is a lost film, as so many of these "language" versions (I suppose that the French-language version, Jack Forrester's "Criminel", starring Harry Baur, is also lost). Baur replaced Walter Huston as the prison director, and Carlos Villarias played the same character in the Spanish alternate.

Since many years, stills from the Spanish version have surfaced and invariably, they were falsely identified as being from the American version, despite of the fact that the cast members were totally different, and it was easy to identify Barry Norton, Carlos Villarias, Maria Alba, Manuel Arbo, Ramon Peon, Julio Villareal, etc. on these stills!

Many years ago a French book on Howard Hawks even mistakenly included a still of the Spanish version and "identified" the unknown actor who played Galloway as Boris Karloff, in spite of the fact his face is totally different !

My question is: can anybody tell me WHO replaced Boris Karloff as Galloway in the Spanish alternate ? the IMDb website has a lot of actors with uncredited roles (and the ones who have a character mentioned have their counterparts in the Hawks movie - and none of them is Galloway).

I don't have the 1930s volume of the American Film Catalog, maybe the name of the actor is included in the credits ?

radiotelefonia

Re: El codigo penal (1931)

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 1:20 pm

todmichel

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Yes, I knew this Spanish flyer. Carlos Villarias is immediately recognizable, as is Barry Norton, but who is the actor playing Galloway ? Max Wagner ?

Javier

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Manuel Sánchez Navarro perhaps? I have some films with him but very much later ones than 1931, and he does look so much different.
Just a shot in the dark.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 3:50 am

todmichel wrote:Apparently, Phil Rosen's "El codigo penal" (1931) - the alternate Spanish-language version of Howard Hawks' "The Criminal Code" is a lost film, as so many of these "language" versions (I suppose that the French-language version, Jack Forrester's "Criminel", starring Harry Baur, is also lost). Baur replaced Walter Huston as the prison director, and Carlos Villarias played the same character in the Spanish alternate.

Since many years, stills from the Spanish version have surfaced and invariably, they were falsely identified as being from the American version, despite of the fact that the cast members were totally different, and it was easy to identify Barry Norton, Carlos Villarias, Maria Alba, Manuel Arbo, Ramon Peon, Julio Villareal, etc. on these stills!

Many years ago a French book on Howard Hawks even mistakenly included a still of the Spanish version and "identified" the unknown actor who played Galloway as Boris Karloff, in spite of the fact his face is totally different !

My question is: can anybody tell me WHO replaced Boris Karloff as Galloway in the Spanish alternate ? the IMDb website has a lot of actors with uncredited roles (and the ones who have a character mentioned have their counterparts in the Hawks movie - and none of them is Galloway).

I don't have the 1930s volume of the American Film Catalog, maybe the name of the actor is included in the credits ?

Which French book is that?

todmichel

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 am

I didn't keep the book but from memory, it was "Howard Hawks" by Jean-Claude Missiaen, in "Classiques du Cinéma" collection (# 21), published by the Editions Universitaires, France, 1965. This of course must be verified.

todmichel

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 am

Javier wrote:Manuel Sánchez Navarro perhaps? I have some films with him but very much later ones than 1931, and he does look so much different.
Just a shot in the dark.

I saw some photographs of this actor (from his 1930's appearances) on Google Images and he didn't look like the still from "El codigo penal". My "favorite" remains Max Wagner.
Please look the entire page at this link:
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-releas ... 34306.html
ALL the reproduced stills are from the Spanish-language version, NOT from "The Criminal Code" as mentioned.
You'll find several pictures of the actor playing Galloway, it could eventually help for his identification...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 1:33 pm

todmichel wrote:I didn't keep the book but from memory, it was "Howard Hawks" by Jean-Claude Missiaen, in "Classiques du Cinéma" collection (# 21), published by the Editions Universitaires, France, 1965. This of course must be verified.

Thank you for that. My command of French is very poor, but I do indulge in the odd volume...

Return to Talking About Talkies