Borzage-land: MORTAL STORM

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Harlett O'Dowd

Borzage-land: MORTAL STORM

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am

Finally caught up with Borzage's 1940 upus, THE MORTAL STORM last night.

A particularly sobering time was had by all, which was the intention in programming this film during our current political landscape.

There were audible gasps from the audience at certain lines of dialogue (make Germany great again, etc.)

And as I was walking out of the hall, I saw a man comforting a woman who was clearly upset by what she had experienced. I can't remember the last time I sat through a play, let alone a film, that elicited such a visceral response from the audience.

SPOILER:

One question: did the whole cross-country-skiing-to-freedom device come from the Phyllis Bottome source material? I ask because, on the surface, it appears to point towards the climax of, all things, THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Hitler youth is torn between allowing his girlfriend to escape over the Alps and doing his duty to the Reich.) I wonder if Lindasy, Crouse. Rodgers and Hammerstein remembered this film (or Bottome's novel) when writing their stage musical, or if Lehman thought about TMS when tweaking and adapting the Trapp musical for the screen. (I assume the German film sticks closer to the truth: the Trapps took a train to Italy.)

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Borzage-land: MORTAL STORM

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:36 am

Interesting question re: Sound of Music. In the German film, they escape by planning a trip in the mountains, but it's vague on whether they actually get out that way, or whether an all-day hike is simply the cover for how they do leave Austria.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

drednm

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:Finally caught up with Borzage's 1940 upus, THE MORTAL STORM last night.

A particularly sobering time was had by all, which was the intention in programming this film during our current political landscape.

There were audible gasps from the audience at certain lines of dialogue (make Germany great again, etc.)

And as I was walking out of the hall, I saw a man comforting a woman who was clearly upset by what she had experienced. I can't remember the last time I sat through a play, let alone a film, that elicited such a visceral response from the audience.

SPOILER:

One question: did the whole cross-country-skiing-to-freedom device come from the Phyllis Bottome source material? I ask because, on the surface, it appears to point towards the climax of, all things, THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Hitler youth is torn between allowing his girlfriend to escape over the Alps and doing his duty to the Reich.) I wonder if Lindasy, Crouse. Rodgers and Hammerstein remembered this film (or Bottome's novel) when writing their stage musical, or if Lehman thought about TMS when tweaking and adapting the Trapp musical for the screen. (I assume the German film sticks closer to the truth: the Trapps took a train to Italy.)

The power of movies!

Wasn't that Russell Crouse?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am

drednm wrote:
The power of movies!

co-book writer of SOUND OF MUSIC? Yes.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:45 am

drednm wrote:The power of movies!

co-book writer of SOUND OF MUSIC? Yes.[/quote]

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:49 am

The actress Lindsay Crouse was indeed named for her father Russel Crouse's longtime collaborator Howard Lindsay, if that's the confusion.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

drednm

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:The actress Lindsay Crouse was indeed named for her father Russel Crouse's longtime collaborator Howard Lindsay, if that's the confusion.

No.... I didn't see the comma !!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Return to Talking About Talkies