Mickey Rooney Grown Up, And In Noir !

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Phillyrich

Mickey Rooney Grown Up, And In Noir !

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 pm

I have not been a big Mickey Rooney fan (often found his scenery chewing worse than Jerry Lewis, and not as funny), but in the noir-ish "Drive A Crooked Road (1954)," I discovered a new Rooney. I found him understated, believable, and easy to empathize with. A fine film. (Who knew?)

He made other noir style films too: "Quicksand" in 1950, and "The Strip" in 1951-- and in the latter, he even plays the drums with Jack Teagarden and Louis Armstrong!

Any fans of Quicksand or The Strip? Do they equal "Drive a Crooked Road?" They seem to be public domain films. What are the best dvd prints available?

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Mickey Rooney Grown Up, And In Noir !

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 12:48 pm

I've not seen DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD yet, but I did see QUICKSAND several years ago - think it was in one of those PD triple-bill cheapies. Not too good a copy, but a decently entertaining thick ear if you like that sort of thing...

Mbakkel2

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

"Quicksand" is, in fact, one of my noir favourites. Mickey Rooney is great in this film. As Andy Hardy he became the prototype of the all-American boy, the guy next door. For that reason it is very easy to sympathize with Rooney's unfortunate car mechanic in this film. He was mostly regarded as a comedian or a show man, but I was really surprised about how well he acted in this noir.

busby1959

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 pm

I haven't seen THE STRIP in decades but I really liked it - Sally Forrest has always held a special place in my heart. To my knowledge, it has never been released on any form of home video. And why not? It's one of those movies I keep hoping (so far in vain) to see again some day.

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 9:21 pm

There's a recent(2015) bio. out(The Life and Times of Mickey Rooney" by Richard A. Lertzman & William J. Birnes) I think it's the only book on Rooney that's come out after his death. I have it but haven't read it yet. It looks like it's well written.
Randy
PS,
He was at a Cinecon once and he repeated a story he often told how he was the inspiration for Mickey Mouse's name. By the way from all accounts, not true.

JLNeibaur

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:52 pm

I did a book on the Mickey Rooney films that also came out after he died -- but I did interview him. Mine is a film-by-film look at his work, though, not a bio. -- Rooney hated Quicksand, but I thought it was pretty good. I agree that Drive a Crooked Road features some of his best work of that period.

Here is a link to my book:
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Mickey ... 1442260955

dalefullerfan2014

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 10:16 pm

The 2015 biography is already remaindered.
Randy

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 am

Quicksand has Rooney facing off against Peter Lorre, what's not to love?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Jim Roots

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:06 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:Quicksand has Rooney facing off against Peter Lorre, what's not to love?

Midget wrestling.

Jim

Return to Talking About Talkies