Maurice Chevalier - foreign-language versions

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

Maurice Chevalier - foreign-language versions

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm

After watching PLAYBOY OF PARIS (1930) last night, I looked the film up in DeWitt Bodeen and Gene Ringgold's book on Chevalier. They stated agreement with contemporary opinion that the French-language version, LE PETIT CAFE (1931) was superior. Is this known to exist still?

And what is the status for LA GRANDE MARE (!930 - THE BIG POND) and LA VEUVE JOYEUSE (1934 - THE MERRY WIDOW)?

Wm. Charles Morrow

Re: Maurice Chevalier - foreign-language versions

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:And what is the status for LA GRANDE MARE (!930 - THE BIG POND) and LA VEUVE JOYEUSE (1934 - THE MERRY WIDOW)?

I've seen LA VEUVE JOYEUSE. It's very similar to the English language version, almost shot-for-shot, and Jeanette MacDonald speaks French. Incidentally, the French version used to have a separate page in IMDb, but I just noticed it's no longer there. Looks like they combined the two casts into one listing, which doesn't make any sense, as they were two distinct films.
-- Charlie Morrow

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:And what is the status for LA GRANDE MARE (!930 - THE BIG POND) and LA VEUVE JOYEUSE (1934 - THE MERRY WIDOW)?

I've seen LA VEUVE JOYEUSE. It's very similar to the English language version, almost shot-for-shot, and Jeanette MacDonald speaks French. Incidentally, the French version used to have a separate page in IMDb, but I just noticed it's no longer there. Looks like they combined the two casts into one listing, which doesn't make any sense, as they were two distinct films.

That was pretty quick - thanks! I suspected that one might have a chance as there was a brief clip on YouTube, although it wasn't until one had Chevalier singing that it was clearly in French. Do Donald Meek and Edward Everett Horton make appearances?

And agree with you about the combination of credits, which only causes confusion...

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:09 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:

That was pretty quick - thanks! I suspected that one might have a chance as there was a brief clip on YouTube, although it wasn't until one had Chevalier singing that it was clearly in French. Do Donald Meek and Edward Everett Horton make appearances?

And agree with you about the combination of credits, which only causes confusion...

I'm sure EE Horton was not in it, pretty sure Donald Meek wasn't either. Aside from the two leads, I believe most of the supporting players were replaced with French-speaking actors. If IMDb hadn't combined the two pages, we'd know for certain!
-- Charlie Morrow

ajabrams

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm

Speaking of early Chevalier, I would love to be able to see his first American feature, INNOCENTS OF PARIS. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere and the soundtrack is available on the Internet Archive but it seems to be unavailable otherwise.

Jess McGrath

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:41 pm

ajabrams wrote:Speaking of early Chevalier, I would love to be able to see his first American feature, INNOCENTS OF PARIS. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere and the soundtrack is available on the Internet Archive but it seems to be unavailable otherwise.

INNOCENTS OF PARIS played at this year's Capitolfest.

ajabrams

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Jess McGrath wrote:
ajabrams wrote:Speaking of early Chevalier, I would love to be able to see his first American feature, INNOCENTS OF PARIS. I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere and the soundtrack is available on the Internet Archive but it seems to be unavailable otherwise.

INNOCENTS OF PARIS played at this year's Capitolfest.

Wow Jess, did you see it and if so, what did you think of it, Thanks!!

radiotelefonia

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 10:32 pm

When there were both an English and a French language version of a Maurice Chevalier movie, the two versions were simultaneously released in Argentina. Contemporary reviewers always considered the English versions as the superior ones.

And speaking of Maurice, these two videos were posted today in Argentina. I could actually remove those annoying logos.

Return to Talking About Talkies