Butchering of Films

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Dave Pitts

Re: Butchering of Films

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 8:36 am

Way back around 1970, on the Tonight Show, Carson's guest was a male comic -- could've been George Carlin -- and they began to riff on old movies. (Carlin used to do a bit about watching crowd scenes in old movies and wondering if everyone in the crowd was now dead, so I'm imagining him in this vague memory.) They began to talk about local stations cutting up films, and the guest remarked that he had briefly worked at a small-market station where, when it was time for commercial, they just left the film running -- after the ads, they would jump back into the film, wherever the story was. This struck Carson as so funny that he almost fell off his chair.

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 am

Last night I re-watched "The Big Sleep" (1946) for the umpteenth time. It got me thinking about this thread because, although after years of watching this film I've finally got all the plot elements figured out - this when even the authors weren't sure about things when they saw the film when it was finished!!!!!!!!! - how would one cut this film and give an audience even an inkling of how to figure out who did what to whom??!!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

As long as you know who the good guys and who the bad guys are, it doesn't matter.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Donald Binks

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:As long as you know who the good guys and who the bad guys are, it doesn't matter.

Because I am intelligent I worked it out that the bad guys wear black hats and the good guys wear white hats! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

R Michael Pyle

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 am

I'm sorry, but Hoppy just wasn't a bad guy--------------------------------was he?? :(

coolcatdaddy

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Maybe someone can refresh my memory here, but I seem to vaguely recall that when NBC presented the much-hyped 1976 network television premiere of "Gone With the Wind" that they cut out or changed something in the opening titles. Anyone recall this and what it was about?

Nosferatu

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 12:14 pm

I don't think knew much or questioned much in the past. They just accepted everything as they were given it. When polio vaccines we're mandatory, did people question that need for it, the intent of the government, or were they told to get in line and they did it? Look at people now regarding that topic.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Nosferatu wrote:I don't think knew much or questioned much in the past. They just accepted everything as they were given it. When polio vaccines we're mandatory, did people question that need for it, the intent of the government, or were they told to get in line and they did it? Look at people now regarding that topic.

Although I don't know everything about the polio topic, I was one of many who were vaccinated in the trials in the mid-1950s. I can assure you that, at least in my case, it was voluntary, with parents' permission given. I have no idea what the public was told at the time in order for most to give their permission. People were eager for a solution. I remember receiving two shots. For whatever reason, we walked over to a neighboring school (a Catholic primary school) to get the shots.

I remember the panic of closed swimming pools in the summer when a case of polio was discovered in the area.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies