Best releases for the Region Free...

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

robertelee

Best releases for the Region Free...

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I didn't think any of the others were better.

I just finally caved and shelled out for a region free blu ray player! I have ignored international releases for years, and I now need to play catch up. So, in your opinion, what are the best, most essential region b releases?

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Best Region Free releases

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:58 am

I think there's an older thread that covered this, but I can't find it. For starters, the BFI Napoleon and Underground, Eureka's City Girl, and then if your taste runs to good little British programmers, there are tons of them from Network, especially in a series devoted to Ealing, which have been reviewed in the Last Film You Watched thread, like Saloon Bar.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

silentfilm

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 pm

City Girl (1930) is actually region-free. I've watched it several times in my region A Sony player.

(The title of this thread is "Best Region Free releases", but the original poster is asking for region B disk titles.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 pm

A number of the releases I've bought from the UK have turned out to be region free; I figure once you have the region free player, it's all the same, so we're really talking about what foreign releases should you buy.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

robertelee

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 2:53 pm

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES SO FAR, AND I Definitely will go buy Napoleon. Im sorry about the thread title, but I have no way to edit it to foreign releases, perhaps a mod could help me out?....

Rick Lanham

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 3:22 pm

“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Best releases for the Region Free...

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm

I edited the title to reflect the Region Free as a class.

Return to Talking About Talkies