Europe in the 30s: Top 10 MIAs

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

moviepas

European films

PostThu Jul 08, 2010 3:41 am

And Ernst Rolf suicided in the early 30s and was the star of the Swedish version of Paramount on Parade. His wife stayed in Hollywood and remarried a cameraman, I think.

joel96

Re: Europe in the 30s: Top 10 MIAs

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Availability of Un Carnet De Bal isn't as big a deal as the issue of there not being a version with English subtitles available. I'd watch a VHS of it if only it had English subtitles. There's five copies of the DVD on the French Amazon site:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B ... dition=new
I guess I could run every French subtitle through Google Translate, then re-soft-subtitle it with Handbrake and some other authoring tools.

There's a movie that's even harder to find. I found a lone VHS copy of Harvest (aka Regain) on the French Amazon site, running at $84.94. It has the same deal-breaker of lacking English subtitles:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/offer-listing/B ... ition=used
The jerry-rig fix above wouldn't work in this case since it's an analog-only copy.

I might have to start spamming a list of home video boutiques to find out if any of them have any copies with subtitles. American film critics were able to see these with some kind of English support somehow, I've just got to figure out how to duplicate that (unless they saw the films at a special screening at the Cannes Film Festival).

Arndt

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm

joel96 wrote:I guess I could run every French subtitle through Google Translate, then re-soft-subtitle it with Handbrake and some other authoring tools.

If you are prepared to go to these lengths, have you considered that it might be less trouble simply learning to speak French? :wink:
MELIOR

Tintin

PostThu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 pm

You guys need to check YouTube!! Someone posted almost all of Heinz Ruhmann's films, plus Die Koffer des Herrn O.F., Du haut en bas, Les Disparus de Saint Agil, Friedemann Bach, a whole bunch of Jean Gabin films (including Martin Roumagnac and La belle Equipe, both with English subtitles), Fric Frac, Ferdinand Ier, and on and on. Most of them don't have English subtitles, but some do.

joel96

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 1:27 pm

If you are prepared to go to these lengths, have you considered that it might be less trouble simply learning to speak French?

I speak nigh-incomprehensible tourist French. Learning to speak a new language takes maybe six months, versus about a week of copy-pasting one sentence at a time into Google's somewhat questionable translator. Not saying it's not something I refuse to do, just putting time estimates out there. It can probably do as good a job as I could after a few months of learning the language. I could also hire a French-education undergraduate to make a transcript that I could then set to a time code after recording the cassette to DVD. I would also need to get a PAL cassette player, a PAL TV, and at least one outlet adapter to play the Harvest cassette with. To get it to DVD, I'd probably need a PAL DVD player with DVD recording capabilities. From there, I can edit the DVD (since I flashed the firmware on my computer's DVD drive to unlock other region playing capability) with the subtitles I got from wherever.

I should also mention that there is no home media copy at all anywhere whatsoever of Harvest (aka Regain) that is the full 150 minutes. The VHS link I posted earlier goes to a 121 minutes version, which is even shorter than the 127 minute version re-release from 1969. I need to find a film library that has an actual print of the film, and either travel there to watch it (maybe $1000 both ways if it's at the other side of the country), pay them to make a scanned digital master copy, which might run several thousand dollars, or get them to make an inter-library loan to a film library closer to where I live.

I'd like to know if there's something preventing the studio that made Harvest/Regain from re-issuing a new master of it (are they still in business, is there a copyright dispute, are the royalty distribution arrangements too complex and costly to get it going, are there no surviving negatives?). I'd also like to know how in the world American critics were able to see the stupid thing back when they gave it the reviews that mandate its viewing.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Well, two more of the original ten titles on my list of eight years ago are coming out in the US from Criterion's sub-label Eclipse: Julien Duvivier's Poil de Carotte (1932 sound version) and Un Carnet de Bal, both with Harry Baur (as are all of the films in this set). Here's more on the release:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1136- ... e-thirties" target="_blank" target="_blank

That's still only three of the original 10 on legal DVD releases (all from Eclipse), but I've seen a couple of the others online since. As the mention of Harvest suggests, now what we need from Eclipse is a Pagnol set with Harvest and The Baker's Wife (which is his masterpiece along with Marius, to judge by what I've seen), and a couple more...
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re:

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Jay Salsberg wrote:THE ETERNAL MASK has actually been around for some time. I recall speaking to someone about 15 years ago who had it on video (albeit a dub). Still incredibly rare, though, and (from everything I've read about the title) a genuine "undiscovered" classic.

I'd love to see a DVD release of FAHRMANN MARIA. I watched my old video of this so many times, I think I scraped the image right off the tape. But the one I'd reeeeeeally like to see is the 1932 British old-dark-house comedy THARK which, alas, is lost.

Unless something horrid has happened to it, THARK is extant. Although unavailable for the Ben Travers season at London's NFT in the late 1970s, our old friend Mr Everson presented it in 1980 or thereabouts. I have no idea where my programme notes are for the show, but I recall that he said / wrote that THARK was shown in America to very appreciative audiences. And presumably it was transferred to safety film as such a loss would be disastrous and in any case I don't know whether he would have been allowed to take a nitrate print across the Pond.

And Network have brought out three double-bills under 'Aldwych Farces', but so far there is no ROOKERY NOOK (1930), PLUNDER (1930) or THARK, though this may be to do with studio / ownership / rights...

FrankFay

Re: Re:

PostMon Oct 19, 2015 8:13 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
Jay Salsberg wrote:THE ETERNAL MASK has actually been around for some time. I recall speaking to someone about 15 years ago who had it on video (albeit a dub). Still incredibly rare, though, and (from everything I've read about the title) a genuine "undiscovered" classic.

I'd love to see a DVD release of FAHRMANN MARIA. I watched my old video of this so many times, I think I scraped the image right off the tape. But the one I'd reeeeeeally like to see is the 1932 British old-dark-house comedy THARK which, alas, is lost.

Unless something horrid has happened to it, THARK is extant. Although unavailable for the Ben Travers season at London's NFT in the late 1970s, our old friend Mr Everson presented it in 1980 or thereabouts. I have no idea where my programme notes are for the show, but I recall that he said / wrote that THARK was shown in America to very appreciative audiences. And presumably it was transferred to safety film as such a loss would be disastrous and in any case I don't know whether he would have been allowed to take a nitrate print across the Pond.

And Network have brought out three double-bills under 'Aldwych Farces', but so far there is no ROOKERY NOOK (1930), PLUNDER (1930) or THARK, though this may be to do with studio / ownership / rights...

Here is a bit of the 1927 stage production:
Eric Stott

Marr&Colton

Re:

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 am

N_Phay wrote:Jessie Matthews' run of thirties films seem to be available on VHS for the most part, but only the Hitchcock one is on DVD. I'd like all of them, but especially "First a Girl", "Evergreen" and "Sailing Along".

FIRST A GIRL and SAILING ALONG available on DVD from VCI Entertainment.
EVERGREEN is in Public Domain and is available from many domestic and UK sources, in varying degrees of
video quality.

boblipton

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 5:23 am

Finally got to see Waltzes from Vienna last year at MOMA and it is probably the least of Hitch's movies. Barring An Elastic Affair showing up on a screen near me, I've seen all the Hitchcock that exists.

I rented a bunch of Miss Matthews on VHS about twenty years ago and thought there was a lot of subtext: not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

johnpercy

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 4:07 am

I have been looking for a DVD or VHS with English subtitles of The Eternal Mask for five years. Has anyone found one?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am

No, it seems beyond reach still. However, I just realized that another of my original ten, Ophuls' Liebelei, has been available for a while from Flicker Alley in the video on demand series.

So a decade later, here's the tally:

DIE DREI VON DER TANKSTELLE on Dailymotion.com, no subtitles

NIEMANDSLAND On Internet Archive, no subtitles but basically doesn't need them

THE MURDERER DIMITRI KARAMASOFF on YouTube

POIL DE CAROTTE In Eclipse Julien Duvivier set

LA MATERNELLE On You Tube in nine parts

LIEBELEI From Flicker Alley

LIEUTENANT KIJE on YouTube

THE ETERNAL MASK Not available

THE STORY OF A CHEAT in Eclipse Sacha Guitry set

UN CARNET DE BAL (1937) In Eclipse Julien Duvivier set

The biggest absence from the 30s for me remains the films of Pagnol after the trilogy, especially The Baker's Wife. Not available in France or the US.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies