PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ (1930)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

busby1959

PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ (1930)

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Does anyone know if there are any copies of this film floating around? I saw it many years ago and I've been looking ever since. There are some clips from it on YouTube but not the entire movie.

wingate

Re: PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ (1930)

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 pm

If you pm me i might be able to point you in the right direction

Marr&Colton

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 6:21 am

I may have it---probably PD if I'm correct. I also have a 11 x 17 repro poster of this title. PM here if interested.

In my opinion, Harry Richman's singing style doesn't play well now--there are lots of his old Dodge radio shows available
free on otrrlibrary.org and he must have been very popular in his day, but way too schmaltzy now--similar to Jolson.

Scott Eckhardt

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 am

Marr&Colton wrote:I may have it---probably PD if I'm correct. I also have a 11 x 17 repro poster of this title. PM here if interested.

In my opinion, Harry Richman's singing style doesn't play well now--there are lots of his old Dodge radio shows available
free on otrrlibrary.org and he must have been very popular in his day, but way too schmaltzy now--similar to Jolson.

I saw this many years ago when it ran on A & E. I rather like his singing, but to me, it's his dreadful acting that sinks the picture. He's as wooden as Rudy Vallee in THE VAGABOND LOVER, but the dialouge and the characterization he is asked to portray are more complex, and, make him look even worse than Vallee in these departments.

Harold Aherne

PostFri Nov 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Puttin' on the Ritz is not PD, as Joseph Schenck filed a copyright renewal on 18 July 1957.

Harry Richman may lack subtlety, but he makes up for it by the force of his personality and the way he grabs your ear and won't let go. His record of "Laugh, Clown, Laugh" is no quiet crooning session; it's almost a soliloquy about the emotional disguises people wear as a clown wears his makeup.

If Harry doesn't click with everyone, fine. But the idea that he doesn't play well "now" depends entirely on to whom he's playing, and how flexible their "now" is.

-HA

Marr&Colton

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 4:19 am

Harry had "schmaltz"---that forceful lingering delivery that Jolson had that was very necessary to carry a singer's voice from the stage to the back rows of the balcony in pre-microphone days. Personally I like Al Jolson, but never caught on with Harry Richman.

I looked and looked and must have pitched my DVD of "Ritz" in a past housecleaning. I do believe Kino has a release of the title.

Return to Talking About Talkies