Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) Question

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

mwalls

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) Question

PostWed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 pm

***SPOILER ALERT***

Question please about the Mystery of the Wax Museum. I am confused about the relationship between Ivan Igor and Joe Worth after they leave England after the fire. Did Joe know that Ivan was there in New York? In the New Year's Eve scene, after the "suicide", Joe gets a phone call from someone and said he would send a truck over. Was the truck to go to the morgue to help Ivan get the body or was it for a liquor delivery and the timing was a coincidence? And "Professor Darcy" appeared to get bodies for Ivan but was he doing it on behalf of Joe or was it just that Ivan knew about Joe being nearby and also associated with Professor Darcy? I did note that Joe got very upset when he was disturbed while opening the crate. Did the crate have a body or liquor? And in the confession to the Police, the Professor said he was to keep an eye on Joe for Ivan. In some sense it appears that Ivan and Joe were working together to obtain bodies for the Gallery in New York, but then it also could be construed that Joe was unaware of Ivan and that the Professor was helping with the bodies and spying on Joe to give Ivan his chance for revenge. Thanks for the help!

Matthew

Scoundrel

Re: Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) Question

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 6:49 am

Professor D'Arcy works for Worth because of an implied drug habit.

In a scene filmed as a shadow, Worth tells D'arcy that he will be cut off if he refuses further
co operation.

D'Arcy's drug habit is re inforced during his confession scene as he he pleads for drink
and consistantly wipes his nose.

So perhaps Worth's concern over the crates is due to drugs, not booze.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2008/04/pre-code-horror-mystery-of-wax-museum.html
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

mwalls

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks Scoundrel for the response and link. I am now leaning towards the idea that Worth did not know of Igor being there.

The link was very enjoyable. I had not paid much attention to the color before. I have seen the DVD version, so I assume it is the off-color version. I don't have a laserdisc player. From what I read there is only one "original" copy known and for many years this was considered a lost film. Very glad it was found. It is a well made movie, but seems to go largely unnoticed.

Matthew

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 pm

mwalls wrote: It is a well made movie, but seems to go largely unnoticed.

Matthew

THE MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM was praised by at least one critic (James Agate) at the time, and when the rather pallid prints started emerging in the early 1970s was regarded as a classic of its kind, despite being hard to evaluate properly.

mwalls

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 3:16 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
mwalls wrote: It is a well made movie, but seems to go largely unnoticed.

Matthew

THE MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM was praised by at least one critic (James Agate) at the time, and when the rather pallid prints started emerging in the early 1970s was regarded as a classic of its kind, despite being hard to evaluate properly.

On one level it is a horror movie. One level it is a mystery with subplot. And the true star of the film was Glenda Farrell. From the reading I have done, the original laserdisc has proper color, but the subsequent VHS and DVD releases are not colored correctly (supposedly colors were altered in an attempt to enhance them). I think there is only one surviving original film print (that was Jack Warner's personal print). Maybe the best (only) way to see the best color presentation is a copy of this?

As an aside, this is not the first time I have heard of a laserdisc release being superior, or something released on laserdisc but not DVD.

Matthew

Jack Theakston

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am

There are enough prints of WAX MUSEUM out there at this point to mount a proper restoration, but no one is interested.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Return to Talking About Talkies