Dirty hollywood ?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

All Darc

Dirty hollywood ?

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 5:39 pm

There is a lot of scandals about sexual harassment going on the last few weeks. Even rapes. Started with accusations against Kevin Spacey and now many more stars are being accused

This makes me reflet. How was old Hollywood compared to today, in these terms, worse, better, more or less dirty ?
Keep thinking...

wich2

Re: Dirty hollkywood ?

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Well, there was this couple named David and Bathsheba...

westegg

Re: Dirty hollywood ?

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:18 am

I'm sure there's a lot of "dirty" old Hollywood we'll never know about at this point since they're all dead and the media wasn't quite as intrusive as social media is today. I like how some decades ago Vincent Price called Hollywood "the most evil place in the world," but didn't elaborate.

:shock:

boblipton

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 am

That, westegg, reminds me of an exchange from Two Weeks Notice, Sandra Bullock tells Hugh Grant he is the most selfish man on the planet, and Grant tells her that's silly. Has she met everyone on the planet?

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

Bette Davis called Hollywood “...the world’s biggest brothel”... Boris Karloff called Hollywood “a toilet.”

All Darc

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm

More evil than his (Price) most famous characters ? :lol:
Maybe it was where he takes the inspiration to all the evill & sinic impersonations for the roles.

westegg wrote:I'm sure there's a lot of "dirty" old Hollywood we'll never know about at this point since they're all dead and the media wasn't quite as intrusive as social media is today. I like how some decades ago Vincent Price called Hollywood "the most evil place in the world," but didn't elaborate.

:shock:

They were probably fully right. It was choosed cause was near Mexico frontier, making easy to escape from the law.
But they forgot that it's also the most fake place on Earth, a wolf dressed as a sheep.

R Michael Pyle wrote:Bette Davis called Hollywood “...the world’s biggest brothel”... Boris Karloff called Hollywood “a toilet.”

Uhhnn ??
This is the name of a 1951 movie with Gregory Peck.

Well, I see people on web accusing some actress of accept all haressment until get famous and rich, and just then acuse the freaks. Sounds like sexist accusations against women, but maybe can have some true in some cases.

wich2 wrote:Well, there was this couple named David and Bathsheba...
Keep thinking...

linquist

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 am

This article popped up in my Facebook feed this morning. Its a week or so old but it doens't seem to have been linked here.
Apparent Maureen O'Hara was outspoken on this issue.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... t-now.html" target="_blank

All Darc

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Where there is power and money, there will be rich "son of a b..." with influence to keep own criminal activity.
Dirty world...

The few ones caught tend to blame some compulsion/psychologic problem. I would not be surprise if a new medical term was created, like "rapeaholic"

Now Charlie Sheen is accused of had abused Corey Haim :

It's possible that Charlie was also abuse, became abuser, and became drug user.
Keep thinking...

Return to Talking About Talkies