Golden Age Stars Unscripted

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

bobfells

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 am

I'm not sure where this topic should go so Admins please feel free to move it someplace more appropriate:

So many of us are quite familiar with the voices, inflections and intonations of film stars from the late 1920s talkies on that we can identify them without seeing them. Sometime ago I was listening to a rehearsal of Lux Radio Theater from 1939 where George Arliss was performing in "Cardinal Richelieu." Everybody it seems flubbed a line at one point or other except Mr. A until the very end where he rather badly flubbed the name of the show. It occurred to me that this was likely the only recorded instance of this great actor unscripted. In every instance I could think of, I heard Mr. A's voice only in a scripted forum, never off the top of his head just exchanging conversation.

This got me thinking if there were other Golden Age stars who appeared on talk shows, which began flourishing in the late '40s but really took off with TV in the 50s and thereafter. This unscripted format is so common today that we don't even think about it but go back a few decades and it's a different story. I started checking around and I made two lists: the first lists stars who conversed unscripted, and the second list which could easily be much longer are stars who we can hear only scripted.

Unscripted:
Gloria Swanson
Douglas Fairbanks Jr
Al Jolson
Bing Crosby
Errol Flynn
Buster Keaton
Harold Lloyd
Charles Chaplin
Stan Laurel
Humphrey Bogart
Gary Cooper
Joan Crawford
Bette Davis
John Barrymore
Jack Benny
Claire Windsor
Marlene Dietrich
David Niven
Alice Faye
Fay Wray
Basil Rathbone
and I'm sure a few have slipped my mind.

Scripted Only:
Ronald Colman
Greta Garbo
W.C.Fields
Lionel Barrymore
Tyrone Power
William Powell
Jean Harlow
Clark Gable
Edward G.Robinson

I am hoping some N'villans can identify more who were recorded speaking off the cuff, even if only briefly.

JFK

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 pm

The above 1936 episode of Powers Gouraud's Philadelphia WCAU Program, "Your Ol' Night Owl" is one of three listed on the radiogoldindex; the others are from 1941 (Jessel and Tucker) and 1942 (Berle)

Bloopers on ottr

including:Bing Crosby Carol Burnett Charles Coburn Dean Martin Jerry Lewis Don Messico and June Foray Edgar Bergen George Burns George Jessel Jack Benny Friars Roast Jack Benny Jack Palance Lauren Bacall Lionel Barrymore Story Mickey Rooney Radio Classic Blunders (1940s-50s) William Conrad

Chuck Schaden Interviews
Over 170 Chats with Vintage Radio, and Film, Personages

Hollywood Byline
49-12-10 George Jessel
50-01-14 Lucille Ball
50-02-08 David Niven
50-03-22 Celeste Holm
50-04-27 Betty Hutton

Bud's Bandwagon

radiogoldindex list of over 200 surviving episodes of this music and interview show - - but online where are they?

John Dunning Interviews
Roberta Goodwin-Bob Bailey, Dick Joy, Candy Candido, Frank Nelson, Dennis Day, Elliott Lewis, Jim Jordan, E Jack Neuman, Janet Waldo, Eve Arden

Mike Wallace Filmed interviews Including:
GLORIA SWANSON...TONY PERKINS...MARY MARGARET MCBRIDE...STEVE ALLEN...DIANA BARRYMORE...DAGMAR...FRED OTASH...GEORGE JESSEL...LILI ST CYR...KIRK DOUGLAS...DIANA DORS...ELSA MAXWELL...JEAN SEBERG...RUDY VALLEE...OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN...TONY PERKINS...PETER USTINOV...LILLIAN ROTH...PAT WEAVER...BEN HECHT (Transcript Only)

Hollywood Calling

radiogoldindex list of some surviving episodes- - but online where?

Biography in Sound Some episodes:
•54-10-24 Sigmund Romburg •55-01-23 Gertrude Lawrence •55-03-20 Ethel Barrymore •55-03-27 George Bernard Shaw •55-08-30 George Gershwin •55-09-27 Franklin P Adams •55-11-29 Jerome Kern •56-01-24 John Golden •56-03-20 George M Cohan •56-05-08 Robert Benchley •56-05-29 Fred Allen •56-09-25 WC Fields •56-10-16 Mary Martin •56-11-13 Alexander Woollcott •57-02-05 Thornton Wilder •57-09-10 Danny Kaye

Lamparski Whatever Became Of Interviews
57 Interviews including Huntz Hall, Chester Lauck- Lum of Lum and Abner, Leo Gorcey, Ezra Stone, Goodman Ace of Easy Aces, Moe Howard-The Three Stooges, Marion Marlowe, Lon McAllister, Ruth Warwick, Carlotta Monti, Carlton E. Morse, Billy Gray, Bill Idelson of Vic and Sade, Jim 'Fibber' Jordan, Margaret Hamilton, Charles Correll of Amos & Andy, Billy Halop, Minerva Pious/Mrs Nussbaum, Darla Hood, Willard Waterman- The Great Gildersleeve, Mary Jane Higby
Last edited by JFK on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

daveboz

Re: Golden Age Stars Unscripted

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 2:19 pm

On YouTube is a brief 1948 Pathe newsreel clip of Ronald Colman -- with wife Benita Hume -- talking about British film. Seems unscripted to these ears. But very brief!
yer pal Dave

wich2

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 8:08 pm

I was going to cite Lionel and "The Bear," but JFK beat me to it.

And here's brother Jack - not unscripted, but very much private as opposed to commercial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnAiWhX__w

bobfells

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 am

JFK wrote: "

"Bloopers on ottr
including:Bing Crosby Carol Burnett Charles Coburn Dean Martin Jerry Lewis Don Messico and June Foray Edgar Bergen George Burns George Jessel Jack Benny Friars Roast Jack Benny Jack Palance Lauren Bacall Lionel Barrymore Story Mickey Rooney Radio Classic Blunders (1940s-50s) William Conrad

Hollywood Byline
49-12-10 George Jessel
50-01-14 Lucille Ball
50-02-08 David Niven
50-03-22 Celeste Holm
50-04-27 Betty Hutton

Bud's Bandwagon
radiogoldindex list of over 200 surviving episodes of this music and interview show - - but online where are they?

Mike Wallace Filmed interviews Including:
GLORIA SWANSON...TONY PERKINS...MARY MARGARET MCBRIDE...STEVE ALLEN...DIANA BARRYMORE...DAGMAR...FRED OTASH...GEORGE JESSEL...LILI ST CYR...KIRK DOUGLAS...DIANA DORS...ELSA MAXWELL...JEAN SEBERG...RUDY VALLEE...OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN...TONY PERKINS...PETER USTINOV...LILLIAN ROTH...PAT WEAVER...BEN HECHT (Transcript Only)"

Many of these "interviews" were scripted. Bloopers are by nature spontaneous but they are not interviews, just momentary mistakes from the written script. I've heard a number of the "BIOGRAPHY IN SOUND" and they sound scripted to me.

An example of truly an unscripted interview the one that Jolson did with Barry Gray, and later the 1949 one Jolie did with Steve Allen. Both were truly unrehearsed and spontaneous.

wich2

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 am

The Lionel piece is neither "Scripted," nor "Blooper;" it's what's today labeled an "Open-Mic" (and much part of media politics in recent history...)

Return to Talking About Talkies