Tom Sawyer (1938) archival status?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Mr.Mycroft

Tom Sawyer (1938) archival status?

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Does anyone know the general status of the Selznick 'Tom Sawyer?' It obviously survives but hasn't seemed to sneak out in any high def form as of yet.

Many thanks!

wich2

Re: Tom Sawyer (1938) archival status?

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 8:26 pm

There was a release that was HD for the time - I have the Laser.

Harold Aherne

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 pm

UCLA has many nitrate and some safety elements on this title. Their search results don't produce stable URLs so I'll just post the link to the search engine:
https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/searchBasic

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is one of those titles that never made it to DVD when Anchor Bay or MGM had the license for the Selznick library. A Bill of Divorcement and Topaze, which were produced by RKO but later acquired by Selznick, are in the same boat. Now that Kino Lorber has an agreement with Disney, perhaps these films will be considered for new releases.

-HA

moviepas

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 1:59 am

I too have the original Laserdisc. I have been hoping for a Blu Ray release now that other Selznicks are fronting thru Disney on Kino. The color Garden of Allah is coming soon(Dietrich). I love this film and story(the two young female leads had their contracted roles switched before filming commenced). I have never seem the 1930 Jackie Cooper Paramount version but had the LD and Blu of the Reader's Digest version of the story. Twain came to my country back in the dark ages and is said to have stoked the boilers in the downtown hotel basement he stayed in, in Melbourne, now demolished. A late friend from the Ukraine told me in the 1970s that the 1938 film was his favorite and first color film he saw. He walked from the family farm with friends into Lemberg(now Lvov or Lwow) to see this film.

Little Caesar

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 3:18 am

A few years back, Echo Bridge Entertainment (one of the bottom feeders of the DVD market) licensed some films from Disney, and somehow the Selznick Tom Sawyer was lumped in with all of the Ernest films. As expected, there is a DVD which isn't too bad if my memory is to be trusted. Then again, I found it in a $5.00 Walmart DVD dump bin so perhaps my expectations weren't too high. The film is paired with a film version of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn which features Ron Howard (Opie meets Mark Twain). Here's the link to the disc on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Family-Classics-Double-Feature/dp/B00ADQDTRW/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1511687345&sr=1-4&keywords=tom+sawyer+huckleberry
I too am hoping that Kino will release a blu-ray edition of the film.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Mr.Mycroft

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 am

Harold Aherne wrote:UCLA has many nitrate and some safety elements on this title. Their search results don't produce stable URLs so I'll just post the link to the search engine:
https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/searchBasic

-HA

Many thanks!

Mr.Mycroft

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 11:16 am

moviepas wrote: A late friend from the Ukraine told me in the 1970s that the 1938 film was his favorite and first color film he saw. He walked from the family farm with friends into Lemberg(now Lvov or Lwow) to see this film.

Or 'Lviv' in Ukrainian. My mother was born near there in 1938.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 1:25 pm

moviepas wrote:I too have the original Laserdisc. I have been hoping for a Blu Ray release now that other Selznicks are fronting thru Disney on Kino. The color Garden of Allah is coming soon(Dietrich). I love this film and story(the two young female leads had their contracted roles switched before filming commenced). I have never seem the 1930 Jackie Cooper Paramount version but had the LD and Blu of the Reader's Digest version of the story. Twain came to my country back in the dark ages and is said to have stoked the boilers in the downtown hotel basement he stayed in, in Melbourne, now demolished. A late friend from the Ukraine told me in the 1970s that the 1938 film was his favorite and first color film he saw. He walked from the family farm with friends into Lemberg(now Lvov or Lwow) to see this film.

The 1930 TOM SAWYER (and 1931's HUCKLEBERRY FINN) [and it's Jackie Coogan] is on the Internet Archive in what looks like a better version than the one on YouTube. At least that's an improvement on its unavailability for the John Cromwell season at London's NFT back in 1974.

sepiatone

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:27 pm

Funny, that in the early days of Beta and VHS, several 30s color features like Tom Sawyer were on tape. Others I recall were Dietrich's "Garden of Allah", "Ramona" with Loretta Young and Pauline Frederick and the Wayne Morris remake of "Valley of the Giants". They all looked superb and 'Garden' and 'Ramona' were on the old AMC cable. So I would expect a H-Def, Blu-Ray would look even better.

wich2

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 10:24 am

It's been a while since I fired up my Laser, but I recall the color being dense/heavy, and leaning amber.

I've loved the film since B & W childhood airings - and much later found put that my late friend Arthur Anderson was originally cast in the lead!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Long ago John McElwee at Greenbriar Picture Shows had a two part post on this film, which is pretty interesting. I think my sons and I watched it on TCM not long after.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot. ... awyer.html

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot. ... t-two.html
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

moviepas

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 am

Or 'Lviv' in Ukrainian. My mother was born near there in 1938. Yes, I know that spelling too. My friend was actually Polish but wars etc..... War stopped him studying to become a doctor and he ended in UK and married there and walked on pipelines that got him to Australia and an almost fateful fall from a collapsing bridge in the 1970s and was the last survivor out of hospital from a broken back. To get passed 90 was a good luck. Very cluey man and a good country scene artist.

Ray Faiola

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 am

Scott MacQueen, when he was at Disney, did a full restoration of THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER as well as the original trailer. The restored print is available on Region 2 DVD. As many people recall, the picture was reissued by Selznick at 77 minutes (all the 16mm prints are of the reissue version). In addition to triims, the musical score was also rearranged and many cues were substituted. The score, in both versions, is a real mulligan stew with original cues by Max Steiner and reorchestrated cues from earlier pictures composed by Alfred Newman and others. The most enigmatic cue is the final confrontation between Tom and Injun Joe when Lou Forbes stuck in music from the Sam Fox library. Really weird. Certainly the most egregious example of Selznick the meddler putting his musical stamp on a picture.

Here's the music from the above-mentioned confrontation, taken from the film's M&E track. It begins with Steiner's music of Tom finding Murrell's Treasure, then there is a string pizzicato section which I believe is by Heinz Roemheld and then switches to the archaic library music for Injun Joe. After Joe's fall the music resumes with Max Steiner for Tom's rescue of Becky from the cave:

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com/tom_sawyer_cave.mp3
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Return to Talking About Talkies