Is this Alan Ladd?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

Is this Alan Ladd?

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Watching the Jane Withers film GINGER (1935) last night, I wondered if one of the players was perhaps Alan Ladd. The scene occurs 31m into the film when Jane is being introduced to the Parkers' staff. The fellow I mean is the one in a chauffeur's uniform. No mention in IMDb or the Citadel book on Ladd.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Is this Alan Ladd?

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 1:40 pm

IMDB credits one Walter Johnson as Chauffeur, and he certainly looks like the fellow in this other still:

I am pretty convinced that Ladd is one of the guys on horseback in the Technicolor short La Fiesta de Santa Barbara, though. Though I think that means he was hired by the festival and captured by the film crew getting B roll, not cast in the film as the Gumm Sisters were, say.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Dec 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Wasn't 100% when rewatched that scene on the laptop. I did check IMDb, but wasn't sure as assumed the (credited) chauffeur would have taken Jane to the Parkers' house, and thought perhaps the fellow I had in mind was playing a second chauffeur or assistant...

At least I was right about Cecil Parker in THE GUV'NOR, though not listed in David Quinlan's book on film stars. One can hardly mistake that plummy voice, though...

Will have to check LA FIESTA as don't think I've seen that in ages.

All good fun...

missdupont

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 am

not Alan Ladd.

LouieD

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 pm

missdupont wrote:not Alan Ladd.

+2

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Thank you for that. Hopefully I won't be called by the police for an identification parade...

Return to Talking About Talkies