TEN NIGHTS IN A BARROOM (1931)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

TEN NIGHTS IN A BARROOM (1931)

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 6:39 am

Watching this film last night, I wondered if there was a longer version extant as there is one extremely brief scene showing female drinkers / prostitutes in another part of the saloon which is never followed up on. It was so brief I've not managed to locate it yet, but can't have lasted more than two or three seconds. According to IMDb the film was originally 71m, whereas this one (on video, anyway) runs just short of an hour.

R Michael Pyle

Re: TEN NIGHTS IN A BARROOM (1931)

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 7:17 am

My old VHS tape (which I gave away to the public library last year along with 4000 other VHS tapes I had stored and had no room for!) ran 72 minutes according to its own descriptive material on the cover. The fact that yours runs only an hour is, in my opinion, a really lucky and good thing for you. I watched this a tad over ten years ago, and I'm still trying to shake it off. It was incredibly repetitious about certain things, and thought about as depressing a film as I ever watched. And that slowly delivered speech of Farnum was about as dull as it gets, besides. He was great in silents, but his delivery of speech in sound films drives me bananas! Same year's "The Painted Desert", for example. Of course, the fight with Santschi had to be good. One of Santschi's obits - the same year as the film! - had Farnum discussing the fight both had in the 1914 "Spoilers":

"Obituary from The St. Louis Star:

TOM SANTSCHI, WHO FOUGHT FARNUM IN "THE SPOILERS,'
DIES

Both were Carried from the Movie Set 17 Years ago With Bones Broken.
A most ferocious screen battle Hollywood ever saw was fought by two men who temporarily forgot their
friendship to achieve realism.

William Farnum, hero of "The Spoilers" when it was filmed seventeen years ago, described the fight which has
become a tradition in Hollywood.

"Tom and I were in our prime," Farnum said. "There was a tension when we gathered on the set. Colin
Campbell, the director, called 'camera' and the fight was on. We started cautiously, but our blows were hard.
Soon blood was drawn. I have no idea how long we fought.

"The Rex Beach story called for me to subdue Santschi with a hammerlock, which was supposed to have
broken his shoulder. The shoulder practically was useless when the battle ended."

Farnum and Santschi conversed briefly before they started to fight.

"I remember we agreed to make the fight a real one," he said. "Neither of us broke his word. We became
excited, punch-drunk and half crazy."

Both Farnum and Santschi suffered broken noses and hands. Cuts and bruises covered their bodies. They were
carried from the set.

About six months ago, Santschi and Farnum fought again in "Ten Nights in a Barroom." Asked to compare it
with the early screen battle, Farnum said: "About all I can say is that it wasn't that kind of a fight."
Santschi, who died of heart disease, was born in Crystal City, Mo., on October 14, 1880. He started his stage
career when 17 years old."

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: TEN NIGHTS IN A BARROOM (1931)

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 3:11 am

Would have still liked to have seen the full film, faults and all. Not too keen on re-cutting, to day the least, as I can always decide whether to continue watching, although my cat Patchy climbed off my lap pretty early in the proceedings...

Return to Talking About Talkies