2017 Discoveries at RupertPupkinSpeaks.com

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

2017 Discoveries at RupertPupkinSpeaks.com

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Brian Saur's blog Rupert Pupkin Speaks is running lists of things people from other blogs, podcasts, repertory theaters, screenwriters (Larry Karaszewski of Ed Wood and The People vs. Larry Flynt), etc. saw for the first time in 2017. They vary a lot depending on who the person is, on any given day it might be all 80s exploitation films, or it might be obscure 1940s noirs, you never know, so it's worth checking out to see what tickled somebody else's fancy. Mine will appear sometime, but plenty to read till then!

Saur is also co-host of the Pure Cinema Podcast, which recently did a good intro-to-silent-cinema show here.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: 2017 Discoveries at RupertPupkinSpeaks.com

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 pm

“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Brooksie

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

I never heard of Freebie and the Bean (1974) and yet now I need to see it. Even if just to see "That 'Drive-In' Scene That's Got Everyone Laughing" ... :lol:

Paul Penna

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:38 am

Brooksie wrote:I never heard of Freebie and the Bean (1974) and yet now I need to see it. Even if just to see "That 'Drive-In' Scene That's Got Everyone Laughing" ... :lol:

The street - and off-street - vehicular mayhem has to be seen to be believed.

Donald Binks

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Brooksie wrote:I never heard of Freebie and the Bean (1974) and yet now I need to see it. Even if just to see "That 'Drive-In' Scene That's Got Everyone Laughing" ... :lol:

Hahaha :D I remember it well, unfortunately, all for the wrong reasons. I think the main problem I had with it is that I couldn't understand one word uttered.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Donald Binks wrote:

Hahaha :D I remember it well, unfortunately, all for the wrong reasons. I think the main problem I had with it is that I couldn't understand one word uttered.

It's a mess, and Alan Arkin practically disowns it, but I remember it was a hit in its day. I still have it on laserdisc, not sure I need to upgrade.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm

As I said, a very mixed bag with blatant signs of post-production cutting (Loretta Swit is billed high in the cast and is in it for 2 seconds) and some stuff that just doesn't belong (a pointless subplot about Arkin's wife possibly cheating on him), but there are some laugh out loud moments, and the cartoonish chase scenes are great. It has turned up on TCM, so you can wait for it.

Saloon Bar, you should definitely see!

Return to Talking About Talkies