Anita Page Entertains the Crowds Outside Theatre

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Aaron1927

Anita Page Entertains the Crowds Outside Theatre

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Here is a wonder moment in film history. Filmed in early February 1930 outside Grauman's Chinese Theatre, L.A. The crowds are entertained by dance band leader Abe Lyman and Hollywood actress Anita Page who also conducts the band. Anyone know what films were showing inside when this footage was taken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9q-67dG2ng

Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

John McElwee

Re: Anita Page Entertains the Crowds Outside Theatre

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 4:10 am

It might well have been TRADER HORN, because near the end of the segment, we see W.S Van Dyke and two members of the native cast standing with Anita.

Jim Roots

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 am

Anita is so gosh-darned cute!

Abe Lyman, on the other hand, makes Guy Lombardo look like Ozzie Osborne. At least Lombardo moved around a bit.

Jim

Big Silent Fan

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 am

Jim Roots wrote:Anita is so gosh-darned cute!

Yes she was. I've seen enough Silent & Sound Anita Page films to be smitten by her. She always seems the same, on or off the screen.

Thanks for another chance to both see and hear Anita.

Scar Face

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am

I always love to see photos or videos from 1930s movie premieres but I don't come across too many! You guys have probably seen this one though, I wonder why when the stars pose for photos on the sidewalk there's no flash bulbs going off?
Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Big Silent Fan

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Scar Face wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t-_NZOzL6Y" target="_blank

I always love to see photos or videos from 1930s movie premieres but I don't come across too many! You guys have probably seen this one though, I wonder why when the stars pose for photos on the sidewalk there's no flash bulbs going off?

That's what's so amazing about YouTube. Go to look at one video (like this one) of movie premieres and they offer you so many additional choices.

It's also why YouTube can be so addictive.

Donald Binks

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Scar Face wrote:...

I wonder why when the stars pose for photos on the sidewalk there's no flash bulbs going off?

Just at a rough guess, I'd say that with Searchlights, Street Lamps, Floodlights, Usherette's torches, Arc Lights and Motor Car Headlamps - there may have been sufficient lighting to not only allow motion picture photography, but still pictures as well? :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

brendangcarroll

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:08 am

A wonder moment indeed.

Is the date correct?

TRADER HORN was not released until May 1931 so 1930 is too early for that film to be premiered.

Great footage - thanks for sharing!
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

George O'Brien

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 pm

John McElwee wrote:It might well have been TRADER HORN, because near the end of the segment, we see W.S Van Dyke and two members of the native cast standing with Anita.

Yes, that is definitely the actor who portrays Ranchero, or Rencharo, Trader Horn's faithful Man Friday. The film ends with a shot of the actor's face superimposed over the African landscape.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Brooksie

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

I believe this isn't a movie premiere at all. It's more likely to be a reception for the Abe Lyman Orchestra, which began a residency as the Grauman's Chinese house band on 19 January 1930.

The attraction playing at that time was MGM's The Rogue Song (1930), which probably accounts for Anita Page's presence, as an MGM star. The fact that the orchestra plays You Were Meant For Me is also significant - it was her signature song, written for her by Herb Nacio Brown.

As noted, Trader Horn premiered the following year (and in New York rather than Hollywood), but it was in production at the time. MGM probably sent some of the cast down to the event for some added publicity.

Return to Talking About Talkies