Suzy Snowflake

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

Suzy Snowflake

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 pm

How many of you remember this from 1950s TV?

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Jim Roots

Re: Suzy Snowflake

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 am

Look, Ma! It's a Millenial!

Jim

Rick Lanham

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 9:42 am

I vaguely remember it.
I certainly remember the Garfield Goose show since I grew up in Chicagoland; if I grew up, I mean.

Thanks for posting it.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

busby1959

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 9:54 am

They must have shown her in New York as well, because I distinctly remember watching this with my older brother. This would have been in the 1960s as I was born in 1959.

drednm

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 am

busby1959 wrote:They must have shown her in New York as well, because I distinctly remember watching this with my older brother. This would have been in the 1960s as I was born in 1959.

Yes, funny that the various sources all state this was shown in Chicago. I would have seen this on Boston stations and I certainly remember it because I used to sing this song when I was a small kid. This one and "Good Night, Irene."

It must have been included in some show like Ding Dong School.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

ajabrams

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 pm

drednm wrote:
busby1959 wrote:They must have shown her in New York as well, because I distinctly remember watching this with my older brother. This would have been in the 1960s as I was born in 1959.

Yes, funny that the various sources all state this was shown in Chicago. I would have seen this on Boston stations and I certainly remember it because I used to sing this song when I was a small kid. This one and "Good Night, Irene."

Yes Ed, I saw it in the Boston area too. I would bet it was on Big Brother, Bob Emery or on Boomtown.

drednm

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm

ajabrams wrote:
drednm wrote:

Yes Ed, I saw it in the Boston area too. I would bet it was on Big Brother, Bob Emery or on Boomtown.

Ye gods. Someone else remembers Big Brother Bob Emery? "Oh, the grass is always greener....."
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

ajabrams

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Ye gods. Someone else remembers Big Brother Bob Emery? "Oh, the grass is always greener....."[/quote]

Yup - and the "Toast to the President" --with milk of course!!

drednm

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 pm

ajabrams wrote:Ye gods. Someone else remembers Big Brother Bob Emery? "Oh, the grass is always greener....."

Yup - and the "Toast to the President" --with milk of course!![/quote]

That was another world. I watched it at noontime when we went home for lunch. I don't remember Rex Trailer so much. He might have been on air at an odd time. Salty Brine out of Providence WPRO I remember..... and Community Auditions out of Boston with its "Star of day, who will it be....."
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't recall seeing it, but I began sobbing uncontrollably, and slashing my wrists, so I believe I've seen it before.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

drednm

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 2:06 pm

boblipton wrote:I don't recall seeing it, but I began sobbing uncontrollably, and slashing my wrists, so I believe I've seen it before.

Bob

Bob, as long as your head didn't spin around like Suzy's that means you liked it!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

ajabrams

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm

[... and Community Auditions out of Boston with its "Star of day, who will it be....."[/quote]

I wish I had a buck for every time some kid came on and played "Lady of Spain" on the accordian or did an Irish step dance.

drednm

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:26 pm

ajabrams wrote:[... and Community Auditions out of Boston with its "Star of day, who will it be....."

I wish I had a buck for every time some kid came on and played "Lady of Spain" on the accordian or did an Irish step dance.[/quote]

Yup. Dennis and Gloria Massey, who lived across the street were on. He played LoS on accordion and she tap danced to it.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Lamar

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am

Suzy is still shown on WGN in Chicago every Christmas season along with the UPA Frosty and Hardrock Coco and Joe.

drednm

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 8:45 am

Lamar wrote:Suzy is still shown on WGN in Chicago every Christmas season along with the UPA Frosty and Hardrock Coco and Joe.

Lyrics by Rosemary Clooney, who recorded the song on a Xmas album.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Still looking for an actual physical copy of the record for Hardrock, Coco & Joe, but the film is fairly charming.

Also inspired a parody version on TV's Funhouse: Tingles the Christmas Tension

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

drednm

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 1:02 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:Still looking for an actual physical copy of the record for Hardrock, Coco & Joe, but the film is fairly charming.

Also inspired a parody version on TV's Funhouse: Tingles the Christmas Tension

This one, I do not remember.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Lamar

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Gene Autry recorded Hardrock (aka The Three Little Dwarfs) in 1951. As far as I can tell the only legit CD issue is The Complete Columbia Christmas Recordings (Varese 2004). These are the others-
https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=hardrock+coco+and+joe&type=all
I had the first one pictured (1970) when I was a kid but it's a generic studio chorus. Roy Rogers also recorded it for RCA-
https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Rogers-The-Three-Little-Dwarfs-Daddys-Little-Cowboy/release/11266718

Scott Eckhardt

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

I grew up in Chicago watching SUZY SNOWFLAKE and HARDROCK, COCO AND JOE on GARFIELD GOOSE. About 10 years ago, I picked up a dvd with the two films in a Unique Resale Shop for $2.00. Now, the Chicago Television Museum sells a restored version for about $30.00! For two bucks, it's a silly, fun conversation piece, but for thirty, it's a total waste of money.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Lamar wrote:Gene Autry recorded Hardrock (aka The Three Little Dwarfs) in 1951. As far as I can tell the only legit CD issue is The Complete Columbia Christmas Recordings (Varese 2004).

I've got that Autry CD, it's really well done, but that's no surprise coming from Varese Saraband. One of my favourite Christmas collections.

For some reason, I thought the version by the Les Tucker Singers was the one from the actual film, but the copyright on that 7" single is 1970, and the film is from 1951.

Not the same recording as the film, but it seems singing cowboy Stuart Hamblen's version is the original version of the song.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

wich2

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 am

I recall the song very well; The Wife and I reference it whenever flakes start to fall.

But I know it from Captain Kangaroo; and I THINK (?) they did their own video of it, sorta "animatic" style? With cut-out snowflakes or the like?

-Craig

Return to Talking About Talkies