Definition of Screwball Comedy

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

silentfilm

Re: Definition of Screwball Comedy

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Connoisseur wrote:The Oxford English dictionary: Screwball: "Used, chiefly attrib. or as adj. (esp. as Screwball comedy) of a kind of fast moving, irreverent comedy film produced in the U.S. in the 1930s, of which eccentric characters were chief feature, or of persons, etc. connected with such films" Forst reference is 1938 in Collier's.

Only U.S. films? I've heard Drole de Drame (AKA Bizarre, Bizarre) (1937) described as a French screwball comedy.

Jim Roots

Re: Definition of Screwball Comedy

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 1:24 pm

silentfilm wrote:
Connoisseur wrote:The Oxford English dictionary: Screwball: "Used, chiefly attrib. or as adj. (esp. as Screwball comedy) of a kind of fast moving, irreverent comedy film produced in the U.S. in the 1930s, of which eccentric characters were chief feature, or of persons, etc. connected with such films" Forst reference is 1938 in Collier's.

Only U.S. films? I've heard Drole de Drame (AKA Bizarre, Bizarre) (1937) described as a French screwball comedy.

More than a few of us are going to retort that all French comedies are screwball by nature.

Which reminds me, the "classic" Jerry Lewis films are certainly screwballs. Whether they are comedies depends on your liking for Jerry Lewis (and French films).

Jim
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies