Alternate versions of VOGUES OF 1938 number

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

antoniod

Alternate versions of VOGUES OF 1938 number

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 am

Someone on YouTube posted what appears to be a non-theatrical B/W extract from VOGUES OF 1938 consisting of the "Turn on That Red Hot Heat" Cotton Club number in a much steamier version(close-ups of the dancer's bodies) than the one seen in currently available color copies of the film(but the poster claims that it was heroically rescued from Walter Wanger's cutting room floor, which it wasn't). What I was able to find out was that Southern states threw a fit over the number, and I gather the latter part of it was re-filmed in long shot and that's what we see in the color version. But the last 12 seconds or so of the "steamy" version were seen on a prison TV in Wanger's I WANT TO LIVE, and I vaguely recall that it was also the version I saw in the old B/W TV print years ago. I'm also curious about what company put out the non-theatrical reel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLBz3tW3kBI&t=285s

I've put links to both versions if you want to see. I wonder if there's more backstory here?
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded the second YouTube link.

Ray Faiola

Re: Alternate versions of VOGUES OF 1938 number

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 8:45 am

I have a B&W printdown struck in the 50's. I'll have to compare the footage.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

moviepas

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 am

Those You Tube links come up Studio Canal has blocked these clips in your country for copyright reasons. Odd?

antoniod

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 am

moviepas wrote:Those You Tube links come up Studio Canal has blocked these clips in your country for copyright reasons. Odd?
What country are you searching from? They play here in the US!

Harold Aherne

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Observations: The Technicolor shot of Times Square must have been filmed in early May 1937, given the marquee for Make Way for Tomorrow. The same footage turns up in Sweethearts (but not in Nothing Sacred, whose Times Square footage at the beginning is captured from a different angle. It could have been filmed at the same time with the same crew, however).

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the "hotter" version on AMC in 1996 as part of the colour print they aired, so it may well survive in better condition somewhere.

The Legion of Decency gave Vogues of 1938 a "B" rating ("morally objectionable in part for all"), with no justification given in the master book of 1936-59 Legion ratings. However, by the 1940s and 50s the "B" was routinely meted out to films that Legion reviewers deemed to have suggestive costuming and dancing, so perhaps that was the issue with Vogues.

The copyright for Vogues was renewed on 27 Nov 1964 by Television Industries, Inc., which also renewed the four other 1937 Wanger productions. Some of the Wanger library has been issued on Blu-Ray by ClassicFlix, so maybe they'll took toward Vogues of 1938 at some point.

--HA

moviepas

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 3:59 am

What country are you searching from?
This video contains content from Studiocanal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

[i]Sorry about that.[/i]
RED HOT 1930s COTTON CLUB SHOW-Censored reel survives of Dancers Orgy!

This message applies to both YT links.

Australia and it makes no sense but many things on You Tube make no sense. I get songs that can't be downloaded here but there are countless other copies of the same track from other uploaders that will. Touch wood, I have not co0me across soundtracks removed off footage by Warner Bros for few years. Wouldn't be without YT, though.

Return to Talking About Talkies