Question about Paul Fejos "Broadway" 1929

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Phototone

Question about Paul Fejos "Broadway" 1929

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 12:46 am

After watching everything on the King of Jazz bluray, and knowing that the crane and a couple of sets were recycled from Broadway, and also knowing that Fejos did some uncredited work on King of Jazz, I went back tonight and watched my bluray of Broadway (as a supplement on the Lonesome bluray) It's hard to call this a restoration as it is soft and variable in quality, but one thing really stood out, and that is the scenes filmed with the big overhead crane-dolly were particularly NOT sharp. I find this curious.
Also, on the King of Jazz bluray I learned that the soundtrack for the musical numbers (with a few exceptions) were pre-recorded to allow more flexibility in camera movement (crane shots, for example) and to get the best sound recordings.(A technique that soon became standard practice). Well, I think some of the same techniques are used on the just previous production Broadway, particularly in the crane shots of the musical numbers. They had to be dancing and singing to a playback of the number. I'm a bit "miffed" that no single tune in Broadway (and there are some good tunes) was presented uninterrupted. I will give accolades to the sound mixing at this very early stage of sound, where the sound of the orchestra was modulated under the actors depending on where they were in the scene, or in an adjacent room.

nolisome

Re: Question about Paul Fejos "Broadway" 1929

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 1:20 pm

It's also interesting to note the Broadway miniature set with tracks for moving cars and a giant astride which was also recycled for King of Jazz.

In an interview Mohr recalled using the crane for every movie he made after Broadway.

Scott Eckhardt

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 am

nolisome wrote:It's also interesting to note the Broadway miniature set with tracks for moving cars and a giant astride which was also recycled for King of Jazz.

In an interview Mohr recalled using the crane for every movie he made after Broadway.

I never noticed the moving cars in the original version of KING OF JAZZ. After several viewings, I've noticed many details revealed by the stunning clarity of the restoration. The oddest is the number 666 on the badge of the "kindly faced policeman whistling Broadway Melody" in the "Has Anybody Seen Our Nellie" number.

Phototone

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 am

Scott Eckhardt wrote:
nolisome wrote:It's also interesting to note the Broadway miniature set with tracks for moving cars and a giant astride which was also recycled for King of Jazz.

I never noticed the moving cars in the original version of KING OF JAZZ. After several viewings, I've noticed many details revealed by the stunning clarity of the restoration. The oddest is the number 666 on the badge of the "kindly faced policeman whistling Broadway Melody" in the "Has Anybody Seen Our Nellie" number.

It's a brief scene with the chorus girls dancing thru the set. There is little auto movement, but there is a teeny bit.

FrankFay

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 7:17 am

Scott Eckhardt wrote:

Probably just easy to draw...but there was a "666" cough and cold medicine - still available in some markets.
Eric Stott

David Alp

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Scott Eckhardt wrote:I never noticed the moving cars in the original version of KING OF JAZZ.

Scott go to 03:23 on this YouTube video clip and you will the moving cars we are referring to. (Sorry about the inferior quality of the clip and the incorrect aspect ratio etc.)

As you will see, it's also the very same set that was used the year before, during the opening titles of "Broadway" (with the giant walking through the streets of NY).

Scott Eckhardt

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm afraid I misphrased that. I was referring to the original vhs version of KOJ where I could not make out the moving cars. On the restored blu ray, the detail is tremendous! The sequence really comes to life!

Return to Talking About Talkies