Is there any possible way to see The Mighty Barnum (1934)?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

ebaillargeon82

Is there any possible way to see The Mighty Barnum (1934)?

PostMon May 14, 2018 10:09 am

I have been unable to find The Mighty Barnum on DVD. I also have tried watching it online, but its not available online either. Is there any possible way to see this film?

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Is there any possible way to see The Mighty Barnum (1934

PostMon May 14, 2018 1:47 pm

I remember seeing it on Channel 4 (British) in the mid-1980s so hopefully...

JFK

The Mighty Barnum (1934) Script

PostMon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm

It played for a while - repeatedly- on one of the Chicago UHF channels,
as part of a package that included The Prisoner of Shark Island,
Banjo on My Knee, The House of Rothschild, King of Burlesque, and A Message to Garcia.
Fox/20th occasionally self-published their scripts- In Old Chicago, Stanley and Livingstone..... The Barnum script was one that had a commercial publisher

radiotelefonia

PostMon May 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Here is a real ad for the film from the Philippines, when it was an American territory. The ad is far more interesting to me than the film itself and you will be able to see why.

Jim Reid

PostMon May 14, 2018 6:09 pm

I had a 16mm print up until about two years ago. I sold it on ebay.

bobfells

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 pm

BARNUM is one of the humorous biographies that Zanuck produced when George Arliss was at the studio and I doubt that Arliss's influence was a coincidence. Another was THE AFFAIRS OF CELLINI. But once Mr. A left the building to make films in his native Britain, the Zanuck biopics lost their sense of humor and became oh-so serious. CLIVE OF INDIA was the first of a trend that culminated with HUDSON'S BAY, a snorefest from 1940. Zanuck tried again with WILSON in 1944 but again no humor was permitted. It's sad to relate how Zanuck went from producing hits like THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD that established the new studio to producing the colossal bomb CLEOPATRA thirty years later that got him fired from his own studio - and by his own son no less.

ebaillargeon82

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 pm

bobfells wrote:BARNUM is one of the humorous biographies that Zanuck produced when George Arliss was at the studio and I doubt that Arliss's influence was a coincidence. Another was THE AFFAIRS OF CELLINI. But once Mr. A left the building to make films in his native Britain, the Zanuck biopics lost their sense of humor and became oh-so serious. CLIVE OF INDIA was the first of a trend that culminated with HUDSON'S BAY, a snorefest from 1940. Zanuck tried again with WILSON in 1944 but again no humor was permitted. It's sad to relate how Zanuck went from producing hits like THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD that established the new studio to producing the colossal bomb CLEOPATRA thirty years later that got him fired from his own studio - and by his own son no less.

I think it’s a little strange that photography on The House of Rothschild was listed in the opening credits as being by Peverell Marley (1899-1964) when the person actually operating the camera was Harry Davis (1896-1966), (who was never listed in the opening credits). I just found out that a lot of movies, especially classic ones, do this. The person listed in the film’s credits as the cinematographer or photographer didn’t operate the camera at all, but someone else did (and usually his name never appeared in the film’s credits).

Paul Penna

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 10:41 pm

ebaillargeon82 wrote:I think it’s a little strange that photography on The House of Rothschild was listed in the opening credits as being by Peverell Marley (1899-1964) when the person actually operating the camera was Harry Davis (1896-1966), (who was never listed in the opening credits). I just found out that a lot of movies, especially classic ones, do this. The person listed in the film’s credits as the cinematographer or photographer didn’t operate the camera at all, but someone else did (and usually his name never appeared in the film’s credits).

The term for Marley's function on the film later became standardized as Cinematographer or Director of Photography. Imdb says Davis was uncredited but served as camera operator.

bobfells

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 11:01 pm

I always understood the distinction between the Director of Photography and the camera operator is that the Director was responsible for planning the lighting, angles, tracking shots, filters, etc. The operator physically loaded the film and was responsible for making the camera function as planned by the Director.

Return to Talking About Talkies