The Man from Blankley's (1930)

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

MDJimenez

The Man from Blankley's (1930)

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 8:18 am

The Man from Blankley's remains one of those pictures I would love to see in any format. I read in a Scarecrow Press book whose title I can't recall that its 8 sound disks were found languishing in the Warner vaults when someone wanted to include the film in a tribute to Jack Warner in 1979. Does anyone know their state now? I imagine they are at UCLA.

If I ever win the lottery, I would donate money so a print could be created like the one that was made for London After Midnight. Having the film's soundtrack would be an additional treat but someone wrote earlier that a print made of stills with the soundtrack may be a trying experience. Do we know if there is a key book set from Blankley's at some archive or library? Also, how substantial were those rumors that a collector had a print of the film without the Vitagraph disks?

vitaphone

Re: The Man from Blankley's (1930)

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 am

A few corrections.... no disks are "languishing" at Warner Bros. They as always are very open and cooperative whenever a restoration is possibly, so would not want an implication that the studio is holding something back. A full set of disks for this film are at UCLA and private collectors have other disks.

I am not aware of the status of the picture portion, but do not believe it survives at least complete or in the sound version, if at all.

You might check with The George Eastman Museum to see if they have a key book of stills for this film. If they do, a funded project to match them to the disks would definitely be possible. Great idea!

MDJimenez

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:58 am

The article I read was written by film historian Spencer M. Berger and he used the word languishing. Here's what he wrote:

As we have seen with General Crack and The Man from Blankley's, the problem with missing sound discs began in 1930. Now, let's cut to 1956, when, for 21 millions dollars, Warners turned over to Dominant (an affiliate of United Artists) the television rights to its pre-1949 features and shorts. For a time, Dominant sold life-of-print leases to collectors. I was told they had neither picture or sound for General Crack (which proved to be correct), and there were no discs for The Man from Blankley's (also correct), but the visuals were available (incorrect). Audrey Kupferberg tells me that this confusion arose because--regarding the questionable legal status of the relatively few titles still on discs--both companies agreed to ignore them. This is a belated confirmation that United Artists never got from Warners any part of either Crack or Blankley's.

But in 1979, when a posthumous tribute to Jack Warner was planned, it was still believed that Dominant had the film visuals for Blankley's and that only the sound discs were missing. I therefore suggested to author Max Wilk that the matching discs be included as part of the search of the Warner vaults. Presto!--all eight had been languishing in a little-used catch-all, together with the eleven discs for Crack! Are the picture elements for both in another dark corner of Burbank?

The book was American classic screen features which was edited by John C. Tibbetts and James M. Welsh; its foreword was by Gene D. Phillips.

vitaphone

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 11:29 am

Mr. Berger's use of "languishing" implies deliberate disregard which could not be further from the truth.

UCLA has these and over 1000 other disks found behind a screen in a Warner Bros recording studio circa 1988.

More importantly, would be worth your effort to see what picture elements survive for BLANKLEY'S as that will determine if a restoration is possible. My recollection is that for either CRACK or BLANKLEYS none or only partial picture (possibly for the silent version) exists.

FrankFay

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 7:44 pm

vitaphone wrote:Mr. Berger's use of "languishing" implies deliberate disregard which could not be further from the truth.

UCLA has these and over 1000 other disks found behind a screen in a Warner Bros recording studio circa 1988.

More importantly, would be worth your effort to see what picture elements survive for BLANKLEY'S as that will determine if a restoration is possible. My recollection is that for either CRACK or BLANKLEYS none or only partial picture (possibly for the silent version) exists.

A silent version of General Crack exists, but it won't sync with the discs- explanation given is that it was made from alternate takes.
Eric Stott

vitaphone

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 4:59 am

On General Crack, i believe the film is for the silent version, so it won't synch. How about film for Blankley's?

MDJimenez

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 am

There have been rumors that a silent print of it is in the hands of a private collector, but I think that was first expressed years ago so it may no longer exist. It sounds like the situation with that print of William Haines in Alias Jimmy Valentine.

Harlett O'Dowd

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 am

MDJimenez wrote:There have been rumors that a silent print of it is in the hands of a private collector, but I think that was first expressed years ago so it may no longer exist. It sounds like the situation with that print of William Haines in Alias Jimmy Valentine.

Wait, some/most/all of the silent version of ALIAS JIMMY VALENTINE survives?

MDJimenez

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
MDJimenez wrote:There have been rumors that a silent print of it is in the hands of a private collector, but I think that was first expressed years ago so it may no longer exist. It sounds like the situation with that print of William Haines in Alias Jimmy Valentine.

Wait, some/most/all of the silent version of ALIAS JIMMY VALENTINE survives?

--I think the rumor was that someone in England owned that print.

Danny Burk

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

I'm pretty sure that there is a 9.5mm abridgement, made in France in the late '20s, similar to the abridged copies of THE UNKNOWN and TWELVE MILES OUT that were similarly made. AFAIK, that's all that was known for these titles until the full version of UNKNOWN turned up in 35mm.

Brooksie

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Danny Burk wrote:I'm pretty sure that there is a 9.5mm abridgement, made in France in the late '20s, similar to the abridged copies of THE UNKNOWN and TWELVE MILES OUT that were similarly made. AFAIK, that's all that was known for these titles until the full version of UNKNOWN turned up in 35mm.

Yes, I believe it was mentioned on Nitrateville not so long ago. It's a silent four-reel abridgement of a ten-reel part-talkie, so a good deal is missing - but something surviving is better than nothing, and I was as surprised as anyone to hear it had turned up.

There's a review and some screencaps here: http://moviessilently.com/2017/11/17/alias-jimmy-valentine-1928-a-silent-film-review/.

sepiatone

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm

vitaphone wrote:A few corrections.... no disks are "languishing" at Warner Bros. They as always are very open and cooperative whenever a restoration is possibly, so would not want an implication that the studio is holding something back. A full set of disks for this film are at UCLA and private collectors have other disks.

I am not aware of the status of the picture portion, but do not believe it survives at least complete or in the sound version, if at all.

You might check with The George Eastman Museum to see if they have a key book of stills for this film. If they do, a funded project to match them to the disks would definitely be possible. Great idea!

The only place where I've seen that footage survives of Blankley's is on IMDb. People treat IMDb like Wiki stating it's user generated and anyone can get on there and post. Perhaps the person misinterpreted a distinction between the sound discs and the film footage, but until footage shows up somewheres, I believe it's gone.

Reconstruction of The Man from Blankley's using stills was brought up in a thread several years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7412&p=40701&hilit=the+man+from+blankley%27s#p40701

Return to Talking About Talkies