Vegetarian Directors

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

Vegetarian Directors

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Discussing George Cukor's reluctance to kill flies and other living creatures, a friend commented that he was in fact a vegetarian. Would this be accurate? And were / are there any others?

Spiny Norman

Re: Vegetarian Directors

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:50 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Discussing George Cukor's reluctance to kill flies and other living creatures, a friend commented that he was in fact a vegetarian. Would this be accurate? And were / are there any others?
Sorry but what does that have to do with anything? You might as well ask, how many directors were left-handed.
This is nøt å signåture.™

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Discussing George Cukor's reluctance to kill flies and other living creatures, a friend commented that he was in fact a vegetarian. Would this be accurate? And were / are there any others?
Sorry but what does that have to do with anything? You might as well ask, how many directors were left-handed.

As a sinister-type person, now I'm curious about lefty directors. Not the type that HUAC was concerned with, I mean.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Spiny Norman

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

As a sinister-type person, now I'm curious about lefty directors. Not the type that HUAC was concerned with, I mean.
Do you know the rumours about the director of Dexter...? ;)
This is nøt å signåture.™

Jim Roots

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Wasn't Attack of the Killer Tomatoes directed by an angry vegetarian?

Jim

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 3:29 pm

I interviewed the author of an interesting book about the history of vegetarianism once...

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/a ... ica-c-1905

and it's an interesting question of how widespread it was between a turn of the century vegetarian movement and the hippie era. That author said:

It's a difficult time for vegetarians because they no longer have a national organization. But clearly the idea does not go away. From a population standpoint, there's some evidence that the movement continued to grow. A Gallup poll in 1943 shows that somewhere between two and three million people self-identify as vegetarians at that time, and they're doing this without a movement.

Many, of course, probably went effectively vegetarian in the Depression because you could grow your own on almost any patch of land, where even a little chicken farm was an investment.

That said, I don't know of any famous Hollywood vegetarians and a Google search for "Cukor vegetarian" turns up basically nothing, especially since this thread is one of the first things that turns up. So I see no evidence that Cukor was, at least not in the classic era, certainly.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

JFK

Famous Vegetarians + Vegans- Directors and even Dictators

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 am

Mike Gebert wrote:I interviewed the author of an interesting book about the history of vegetarianism once...

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/a ... ica-c-1905" target="_blank

and it's an interesting question of how widespread it was between a turn of the century vegetarian movement and the hippie era. That author said:

It's a difficult time for vegetarians because they no longer have a national organization. But clearly the idea does not go away. From a population standpoint, there's some evidence that the movement continued to grow. A Gallup poll in 1943 shows that somewhere between two and three million people self-identify as vegetarians at that time, and they're doing this without a movement.

Many, of course, probably went effectively vegetarian in the Depression because you could grow your own on almost any patch of land, where even a little chicken farm was an investment.

That said, I don't know of any famous Hollywood vegetarians and a Google search for "Cukor vegetarian" turns up basically nothing, especially since this thread is one of the first things that turns up. So I see no evidence that Cukor was, at least not in the classic era, certainly.

Will have a look at this later - thanks. I find it an interesting subject, and unlike 'Spiny Norman', I feel that a director's personal life and attitudes may well have an effect on what subjects he / she agrees to film and the general outcome. Vegetarianism is not simply about 'not liking meat' and other animal products or even about personal health, so yes, it can be relevant, though not necessarily...

westegg

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 am

Hey, I'm not a vegetarian and I rescue spiders!

:D

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 2:38 pm

westegg wrote:Hey, I'm not a vegetarian and I rescue spiders!

Same here. Not to mention the odd mouse which my lovely cat Patchy will bring into the house!

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 8:19 am

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
westegg wrote:Hey, I'm not a vegetarian and I rescue spiders!

Same here. Not to mention the odd mouse which my lovely cat Patchy will bring into the house!

Not me, I hate meeces to pieces. Discovered some have been snacking on some books that were at ground level. Is complete annihilation (in my home, I mean) too much to ask for?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Return to Talking About Talkies