FILMS WITH RECORDED OVERTURES / EXIT MUSIC

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

FILMS WITH RECORDED OVERTURES / EXIT MUSIC

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Catching up with such early talkies and part-talkies such as IN OLD ARIZONA (1928) and THE INFORMER (1929), it was very nice to find they had the original overtures, and in the case of IN OLD ARIZONA, exit music.

Can anyone say what the earliest films are to have this feature, and which are the earliest to survive, with or without film elements?

vitaphone

Re: FILMS WITH RECORDED OVERTURES / EXIT MUSIC

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Great timing! My latest blog for Classic Movie Hub covers this, with recorded samples...

http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/cat ... hone-view/

The earliest talkie feature with a recorded overture was THE JAZZ SINGER ('27 ) and it is on Warner's DVD and BluRay.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

vitaphone wrote:Great timing! My latest blog for Classic Movie Hub covers this, with recorded samples...

http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/cat ... hone-view/" target="_blank

The earliest talkie feature with a recorded overture was THE JAZZ SINGER ('27 ) and it is on Warner's DVD and BluRay.

Will have to check that out again. I was also including films with music and sound effects as well as part-talkies. And will take a look on your blog when I find time...

bobfells

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I chanced upon exit music from an unexpected source, CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON (1934). I had seen this film many times on TV and when "The End" faded out so did the music. But I purchased a 16mm print and let the last few feet run out so I could rewind it, I was shocked to hear this lilting upbeat melody serving as exit music to send the audience on its way home.

Ray Faiola

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:10 am

Yes, the exit music is on my print too, as well as on the DVD.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

CoffeeDan

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am

Back in my college film programming days, I remember that the Budget Films catalog once announced their brand new print of the 1934 Will Rogers picture JUDGE PRIEST as "COMPLETE WITH EXIT MUSIC!" (capitals in the original)

But more recently, Fox has done right by a lot of their early talkies by including exit music on all (or nearly all) of them.

Donald Binks

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 3:14 pm

vitaphone wrote:Great timing! My latest blog for Classic Movie Hub covers this, with recorded samples...

http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/cat ... hone-view/" target="_blank

Love that crazy music for "One Hour With You" - if that didn't get everyone in the mood to watch the film, I'll go he. (I've listened to it ten times, so far!) :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

BixB

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 9:22 am

Donald Binks wrote:

http://www.classicmoviehub.com/blog/cat ... hone-view/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Love that crazy music for "One Hour With You" - if that didn't get everyone in the mood to watch the film, I'll go he. (I've listened to it ten times, so far!) :D

The exit music for ONE HOUR WITH YOU was included on the laserdisc release along with special tinting on night scenes. Sadly when Criterion released it DVD both the exit music and tints vanished.

Exit music turns up pretty often these days on films from the late 20's and early 30's. Some additional ones I've heard are SUNNYSIDE UP, KING OF JAZZ, THE BAT WHISPERS, FRANKENSTEIN to name a few.
Joe Busam

Return to Talking About Talkies