Surviving films by Pat Rooney Jr.?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

goldenband

Surviving films by Pat Rooney Jr.?

PostMon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 pm

I learned yesterday that my parents used to be friendly with Pat Rooney Jr., a vaudeville performer who was in roughly 20 films (at least if the IMDB page on him is correct), most of which were shorts made for Educational Pictures. I wasn't familiar at all with Rooney's work, but it seems he and his father were both rather famous, and my mother says that her father (who himself came from a family of vaudevillians) held him in some esteem.

I thought it might be fun to send my folks a DVD of Rooney Jr.'s work. Does anyone know how many of his films survive, and -- assuming that some do -- which ones are available on DVD, DVD-R, or online sources like the Internet Archive?

Tangentially, two more questions: Is Bugs Bunny spoofing Rooney Sr.'s "Rosie O'Grady" routine in "A Hare Grows In Manhattan"? And is there any truth to the story that Mickey Rooney's stage name was inspired by Pat? (This newspaper article from 1942 seems to indicate that the answer is "no"!)

By the way, I can confirm that the IMDB page is incorrect on at least one question -- Rooney died in New Hampshire, not Massachusetts. My mother submitted a correction, but they haven't done anything with it yet.

goldenband

PostSun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 am

I probably should've noted this in my original post, but a collector has posted on IMDB about a few of the Rooney Jr. shorts -- specifically DATES AND NUTS (1937), THAT'S THE SPIRIT (1937), and LOVE AND ONIONS (1938). These apparently survive, at least in that user's private collection.

Does anyone have additional info, or suggestions for further research?

vitaphone

PostSun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 am

... and I have a 1934 Vitaphone short with both Rooney Sr and Jr dancing together. Just great!

moviepas

Pat Rooney Jr

PostMon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I just got an e-mail from a person at an LA college who I arranged to get the George Feltenstein Swing Swing Swing laserdisc set some years ago and a friend had it here in Australia unused(now on DVD with more shorts added.

This lady was looking for Sophomore Swing and is now looking for Freshies which I find is a 1937 Educational short(I think 20th Century-Fox was the distributor of Educational around this period in the life of Educational. Pat Rooney Jr is in this film. Any clues to a copy of this short???
Thanks for any help.

goldenband

Re: Surviving films by Pat Rooney Jr.?

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Thinking about this again recently and decided to revive this thread.

Is there any source for any of Pat Rooney Jr.'s short films? Have they ever been shown on TCM, anthologized on DVD, or circulated on VHS? There's a clip on YouTube of a "Rosie O'Grady" dance routine with father & son, but that's about it.

Marr&Colton

Re: Surviving films by Pat Rooney Jr.?

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 5:53 am

Obscure titles show up on a hit or miss basis--and never when you want them, for some reason. Educational made so many shorts and many don't seem to see the light of day any longer.

Youtube has been a great source of rare material, usually only fair quality, although I've downloaded some nice HD quality classic material lately.

Return to Talking About Talkies