TCM LES MISERABLES 5 hours jULY 12TH EARLY AM??

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

louie

TCM LES MISERABLES 5 hours jULY 12TH EARLY AM??

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 9:34 am

TCM has almost 5 hours blocked out for this screening.

does anyone know what the deal is? are they gonna show other stuff that is not listed so we can all go nuts because we missed it?

Arndt

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 am

I suppose it's the Raymond Bernard 1934 film? That is 279 minutes long. It's well worth it, though, unlike some other French marathon epics.
MELIOR

louie

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 9:58 am

that must be it. thanks!

greta de groat

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 10:06 am

I got an email from TCM the other day saying it had been cancelled, but it's still on the schedule, so i'm completely confused.

I've been dying to see Charles Vanel in another film since watching his great performance in La Maison du Mystère (1923) made me an instant fan.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 10:39 am

I've been waiting for this for weeks, maybe months. Looks like I'll have to buy it, sight-unseen.

http://www.criterion.com/films/879-les-miserables

Rick

radiotelefonia

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 am

greta de groat wrote:I got an email from TCM the other day saying it had been cancelled, but it's still on the schedule, so i'm completely confused.

I've been dying to see Charles Vanel in another film since watching his great performance in La Maison du Mystère (1923) made me an instant fan.

greta

Ask Fernando Martín Peña, during the San Francisco festival, to include some of his films in Filmoteca since he has 9.5mm prints of several ones.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 10:54 am

I have yet to block out five hours for the Criterion disc-- I was actually thinking about it for Watch That Movie Night last time, to force myself to watch it-- but I have watched the other movie on the set, Wooden Crosses, and it's quite good, if that helps in your decision. I posted about it here.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

boblipton

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 11:46 am

greta de groat wrote:I got an email from TCM the other day saying it had been cancelled, but it's still on the schedule, so i'm completely confused.

greta

Try Clouzot's SALAIRE DE PEUR.

Bob
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Penfold

PostFri Jul 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:I've been waiting for this for weeks, maybe months. Looks like I'll have to buy it, sight-unseen.

http://www.criterion.com/films/879-les-miserables

Rick

It's stunning, the best version of the story I've seen, and the central performance is utterly credible.....which takes some doing. Go for it, you won't regret it.
I could use some digital restoration myself...

Rick Lanham

PostSat Jul 10, 2010 12:14 pm

As Greta said, it's still is listed on all the schedules, including TCM's web site and iPhone application.

But, I've been wanting to buy the Criterion DVD for a while now and there is a pretty good sale going on at DVD Empire...

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a ... id=1330031

Thanks for all the information about how good it is.

So I'll buy it now. That way I won't have to worry about recording it. I read the book again last year, so it's been on my mind.

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostMon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Well I went to DVD Empire to buy Les Miserables on sale and also found 3 other items to buy. But, not ever having bought anything from them before, I had lots and lots of trouble with their web site. I won't bore you with the details, but I couldn't get the order/payment/etc. set up as I wanted AND by the time I was finding that out, three of the DVDs (all of which were listed as "in stock") were now no longer "in stock."

So I canceled the order...

Hence I was more interested in what TCM would do, and was recording all the movies through the night.

For those that don't know, they showed Raymond Bernard's Les Miserables. It looks stunning and some of the scenes are just as I'd imagined them reading the book last year, I mean even the direction Cosette is walking to get the water, for example. (Although, if other movie versions copied this film, then I'm remembering those.)

It looks terrific, and even though I've recorded it, I will be looking for it on B&N's sale. After all there is another entire movie in the Criterion set.

Rick

boblipton

PostMon Jul 12, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm watching it now and it is quite striking. But I've been mad for Harry Baur since last fall's Duvivier program at MOMA.

Another reason for us to be grateful to TCM.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The matter is complicated, and I shall proceed to complicate it still more.

-- Avram Davidson

Rick Lanham

PostSun Aug 01, 2010 3:46 pm

OK, so I've watched my recording of this film from TCM and these are some reactions. Possible spoilers ahead:

If you are used to the Charles Laughton version, er, I mean the Fredric March and Charles Laughton version, then the Raymond Bernard version (or reading the book for that matter) will be a new experience. Javert here is not the main character. The main theme is Jean and how he turned his life around.

Even such a long movie had to leave some things out. All of a sudden I realized that those exquisite scenes at the convent (in the book) would only be referenced in passing. Scenes that went on and on in the book, such as the flirtations of Cosette and Marius on the boulevard(?) are covered, but just barely.

In Bernard's film, Javert claims he recognized Jean (in a new identity) from the way Jean walked with a limp. I don't remember that from the book, but I would have to check to be sure. I thought it was only from his feats of strength and general build, and then the revelation at the trial.

I saw Cosette wanting that doll in the window, but I did not see Jean noticing that. But all of sudden he brings it to her.

This was easily the best version of the story on film that I've seen. I think I've seen most of them. I've read at least two translations of Hugo's story.
Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025509/

Rick

humanracer

Re: TCM LES MISERABLES 5 hours jULY 12TH EARLY AM??

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 12:16 pm

I have the 1934 version on DVD. Is the Blu Ray better? I ask as I am getting a Blu Ray player and thinking of upgrading.

Also, the 1925 silent adapation will be screened at the Barbican in London in spring 2017. I will finally get to see it.

humanracer

Re:

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:OK, so I've watched my recording of this film from TCM and these are some reactions. Possible spoilers ahead:

If you are used to the Charles Laughton version, er, I mean the Fredric March and Charles Laughton version, then the Raymond Bernard version (or reading the book for that matter) will be a new experience. Javert here is not the main character. The main theme is Jean and how he turned his life around.

Even such a long movie had to leave some things out. All of a sudden I realized that those exquisite scenes at the convent (in the book) would only be referenced in passing. Scenes that went on and on in the book, such as the flirtations of Cosette and Marius on the boulevard(?) are covered, but just barely.

In Bernard's film, Javert claims he recognized Jean (in a new identity) from the way Jean walked with a limp. I don't remember that from the book, but I would have to check to be sure. I thought it was only from his feats of strength and general build, and then the revelation at the trial.

I saw Cosette wanting that doll in the window, but I did not see Jean noticing that. But all of sudden he brings it to her.

This was easily the best version of the story on film that I've seen. I think I've seen most of them. I've read at least two translations of Hugo's story.
Highly recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025509/

Rick

Great review. The first part was shown at the London Academy in Dec 1934 to rave reviews but the remaining parts were not shown. The 1925 and 1934 versions are good but I am not a fan of the 50s and 80s French adaptations.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 3:10 pm

LES MISERABLES (1934) was shown on the BBC about twenty years ago, and I was lucky enough to see it round at a friend's. I had no idea it was so long, but I recall it held the attention throughout.

todmichel

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 am

It's probably long, but it was never intended to be seen in one seance, but as three movies. An abridged version, in two parts, was also released by the movie was later entirely restored in its original length, in three parts.
I also think it's by far the best version, and I saw a lot of them, including the Italian one with Gino Cervi as Jean Valjean, directed by Riccardo Freda.

monks19

PostSun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 am

Yeah. I've seen nearly all of the french versions:

-1934, both at the Cinematheque Quebecoise during a film Marathon to commemorate the Victor Hugo's bi-centenial in 2002. I later saw the blu ray one which was a new recent restauration with some newly found shots (a few of those shots weren't included in the final edit because of their conditions but were still showed as bonus elements on the disc). The Criterion/Eclipse dvd was from a master made for television before the restauration for the blu ray. I would advise you get either the french blu ray disc or the Master of Cinema one (same transfer on both, but the MOC lack some of the bonus elements compared to the french disc, which also english friendly).

-1958, staring Jean Gabin. Not the best version, especially that the version that has been available for TV and home video presentations is shortened and miss some elements that help s with the fluidity of some parts of the story (I was able to watch a much longer versions during the bi-centenial showing). But it's not as good as the 1934 version and even horrendous at times.

-1983, staring Lino Ventura. This one was both a film and a TV series. It was filmed simultanuously for both mediums with some changes between them (the TV version was a longer cut of the story). Not as good as the 1934 version, but better than the 1958 one (for the TV cut. The film one was much shorter and not that great).

I won't mention the 1995 one with Jean-Paul Belmondo since it's connection to Hugo's story is only accessory.

There is a 2 parts TV version from the 1970s that was quite close to the novel (althought it didn't cover the whole story, just the Paris insurection episode. Every thing else was mostly in flash backs). You can watch it here (in french only): http://www.ina.fr/video/CPF86626670/les-miserables-e01-la-masure-gorbeau-video.html and http://www.ina.fr/video/CPF86626671/les-miserables-e02-l-epopee-de-la-rue-saint-denis-video.html.

There's also the Italian TV version staring Gastone Moscin as Jean Valjean. I haven't seen it, but it's style looks like the on from the 1934 version. You can watch it ther: http://www.raiplay.it/programmi/imiserabili/

I hope the 1925 version will finaly be released on home video soon. It's been nearly between 3 to 5 years since it's been restaured and nothing happened yet. But right now, the only good one worth mentioning is the 1934 one. You can get it with closed eyes. But like I said earlyer, get the french Blu Ray. You won't regret it at all.

Return to Talking About Talkies