The Official Talkies online deals thread

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Re: The Official Talkies online deals thread

PostThu Mar 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Blu-ray, Box Set, Film Noir. Pre-order on Amazon:
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema (Big House, U.S.A., A Bullet For Joey, He Ran All the Way, Storm Fear, Witness to Murder) (5 Discs) [Blu-ray]
$42.99, 28% off. Release date is May 24, 2016.

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Noir-U-S-Wit ... +of+cinema" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Rick Lanham

PostTue Mar 22, 2016 3:50 am

The Vikings (1958) [Blu-ray] Kino
Editorial Reviews
A Spectacular and Brawling Adventure! Hollywood legends Kirk Douglas (The Devil's Disciple), Tony Curtis (Taras Bulba), Ernest Borgnine (Marty) and Janet Leigh (Psycho) dazzle in this epic chronicle of brutal rivalry and bloodthirsty ambition. Roaring through the 9th century with powerful performances and brilliant visuals, The Vikings is a riveting spectacle. Bitter hatred divides two brothers. Prince Einar (Douglas) is the son and heir of a savage Viking chieftain. Prince Eric (Curtis) is his unknowing half-brother, the bastard offspring of Einar's father and an English queen. When the Vikings kidnap a princess Morgana (Leigh), her beauty inflames the desires of both men, forcing a bloody duel that decides their fate... and the future of the English throne. Beautifully shot by the great Jack Cardiff (Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes) and wonderfully directed by legendary filmmaker Richard Fleischer (Mr. Majestyk, The Spikes Gang). The stellar cast also includes James Donald (The Great Escape) and Alexander Knox (Wilson) Narrated by Orson Welles (Touch of Evil).

Special Features: A Tale of Norway: Featurette with director Richard Fleischer | Trailers

From Amazon for $14.56, 51% off.
In stock on March 28th.
http://www.amazon.com/Vikings-Blu-ray-K ... gs+blu+ray" target="_blank

Rick
Last edited by Rick Lanham on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Lanham

PostWed Mar 23, 2016 12:14 pm

The Big Heat (1953) was released by Twilight Time on Blu-ray in 2012. It was a limited edition and prices have risen for the remaining copies, at least on Amazon. But now, Twilight has released an "Encore Edition." The price is only $29.95 (direct from them), which is much less than those copies on Amazon.

The cover image is different. I'm assuming there are no other changes, but don't really know.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/big-h ... n-blu-ray/" target="_blank

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Heat-Blu-ray- ... light+time" target="_blank
http://www.amazon.com/Marvin-Gloria-Gra ... 192&sr=8-1" target="_blank

Rick

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Mar 27, 2016 6:50 am

Rick Lanham wrote:The Big Heat (1953) was released by Twilight Time on Blu-ray in 2012. It was a limited edition and prices have risen for the remaining copies, at least on Amazon. But now, Twilight has released an "Encore Edition." The price is only $29.95 (direct from them), which is much less than those copies on Amazon.

The cover image is different. I'm assuming there are no other changes, but don't really know.

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/big-h ... n-blu-ray/" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Heat-Blu-ray- ... light+time" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.amazon.com/Marvin-Gloria-Gra ... 192&sr=8-1" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

Sheesh, someone's asking $73 for the new one on Amazon Marketplace, probably hoping some sucker doesn't know that it's a reissue. What a hive of scum & villainy that place can be.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Rick Lanham

PostMon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

For Amazon Prime Members Only. (sometimes these exclusives become available to everyone later.)
DVD storage boxes. I don't have any experience with these, but they have nice reviews
and the price is right: EDIT: There are some very bad reviews too, didn't read those before.

Snap-N-Store DVD Storage Boxes, 15.5 x 5.5 x 7.625 Inches, Black, 2 Boxes per Pack (SNS01618)
$5.81, 66% off

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Store-Stor ... NS01618%29" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 9:26 am

Email from Kino-Lorber:
/////
Use the Coupon*
KLNEWSITE
to Receive 45% off the Retail Price
Plus Free Standard Shipping to USA for Order subtotals $50 or More!
(*coupon valid for online orders only, valid through April 8, 2016, all discounts will be calculated in the cart)

Dear Customer,

This week we're happy to announce
a new website
www.kinolorber.com

We've been listening to your comments and happy to bring you some great new features.

We've gone mobile! Learn about films and place orders from your smart phone or tablet.
An all-new one-page checkout process. Ordering has never been easier.
We now accept PayPal
Login with Facebook
And for Registered Users you will be able to see your order history and tracking information.
/////

Rick

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Apr 03, 2016 9:07 am

Maybe this has been posted here before, but Amazon.com has the deluxe Ford at Fox set (24 films, plus a documentary) for $60.

At less than $3 a title, that's not a bad deal.

Disc 1: WHAT PRICE GLORY
Disc 2: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
Disc 3: HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY
Disc 4: TOBACCO ROAD
Disc 5: GRAPES OF WRATH
Disc 6: DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
Disc 7: WEE WILLIE WINKIE
Disc 8: YOUNG MR. LINCOLN
Disc 9: PRISONER ON SHARK ISLAND
Disc 10: STEAMBOAT AROUND THE BEND
Disc 11: WORLD MOVES ON
Disc 12: PILGRIMAGE/BORN RECKLESS
Disc 13: DOCTOR BULL/JUDGE PRIEST
Disc 14: FOUR MEN AND A PRAYER/SEAS BENEATH
Disc 15: WHEN WILLIE COMES HOME/UP THE RIVER
Disc 16: FOUR SONS
Disc 17: THREE BAD MEN/HANGMAN'S HOUSE
Disc 18: JUST PALS
Disc 19: BECOMING JOHN FORD DOCUMENTARY
Disc 20: THE IRON HORSE SPECIAL EDITION UK VERSION DISC 1 Disc 21: THE IRON HORSE US VERSION: DISC 2

Rick Lanham

PostMon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Going by information on DVD Talk, Chungking Express (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
has been out of print and expensive to buy. Amazon has found some and promises to ship one
in a few days for $28.26 plus any shipping/tax.
Released December 2008.

http://www.amazon.com/Chungking-Express ... ss+blu+ray" target="_blank" target="_blank

The whiplash, double-pronged Chungking Express is one of the defining works of nineties cinema and the film that made Hong Kong filmmaker, Wong Kar-wai, an instant icon. Two heartsick Hong Kong cops (Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tony Leun), both jilted by ex-lovers, cross paths at the Midnight Express take-out restaurant stand, where the ethereal pixie waitress, Faye (Faye Wong), works. Anything goes in Wong's gloriously shot and utterly unexpected charmer, which cemented the sex appeal of its gorgeous stars and forever turned canned pineapple and the Mamas and the Papas' "California Dreamin' " into tokens of romantic longing.

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Twight Time is having a sale, $10 off many titles. Here's the announcement.
http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/

"Twilight Time recently reached our five-year mark in business – but it’s our movie-loving customers who get to take the victory lap. Starting at 4 PM EDT today and for the next two weeks only, more than 100 TT hi-def Blu-ray treasures will go on sale at $10 off the regular list price. It’s our thank-you to our wonderful and invaluable supporters who may want to plug the holes in their film collections or persuade their fence-sitting fellow buffs to snatch up limited-time bargains on great movies, whether mainstream hits or gemlike rarities. Sale pricing on the selected movies expires at 4 PM EDT on Friday April 22. Check out the Blu-ray Titles Section of our site and save now. Quantities are limited and when they’re gone, they’re gone. So spring into action today!..."

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Twight Time is having a sale, $10 off many titles. Here's the announcement.
http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/" target="_blank

Actually logged on the moment it started, hoping to get a Zardoz. Seems like they went from limited quantities to gone in seconds. No giant floating stone head for me.

Rick Lanham

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 1:36 pm

I've already received (yesterday) all that I ordered from Twlight Time.
No, I didn't order Zardoz.

The Chungking Express item from Amazon remains elusive, and may never happen. Just today they sent an email that they would need more time to find them. Others on DVD Talk have said similar things about it.

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938: The Complete First Volume
is offered at what seems to be a record low, $17.02; in stock next week on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Popeye-Sailor-193 ... rds=popeye" target="_blank

Price History:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Popeye-The-S ... me_popular" target="_blank

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jun 24, 2016 7:31 am

Due to the vote in the United Kingdom to leave the EU, there has been a sharp drop in the value of their currency in relation to the US dollar (a 30 year low, they keep saying). This should mean that American purchasers will save money on purchases from sites in "England." Of course it all depends on how quickly currency adjustments are made, and whether the "local" price stays the same.

It probably works badly for "English" purchasers wanting products from America, of course.

So check the prices and conversion rates to see if they are acceptable.

Here is the link on Amazon UK about their currency conversions:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... =200224510

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am

Arrow Films in the UK is having a sale:

"Sale Ends 12 Midday BST (UK Time) on Monday 11th July 2016. All sale orders will begin shipping from Weds 29th onwards.
Please note that all orders will be shipped GROUPED so if you have a pre-release item in your order the whole order will be held until that is released."

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index. ... &limit=100

Rick

CoffeeDan

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 9:03 am

50% off MSRP on all Criterion Collection titles at Barnes & Noble today through August 1. Upcoming titles to be released during the sale include THE IN-LAWS, THE NEW WORLD and new editions of NIGHT & FOG and CARNIVAL OF SOULS.

Get 'em while they're cheap!

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 10:15 am

CoffeeDan wrote:50% off MSRP on all Criterion Collection titles at Barnes & Noble today through August 1. Upcoming titles to be released during the sale include THE IN-LAWS, THE NEW WORLD and new editions of NIGHT & FOG and CARNIVAL OF SOULS.

But not in time to get McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Dang it.

CoffeeDan

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
CoffeeDan wrote:50% off MSRP on all Criterion Collection titles at Barnes & Noble today through August 1. Upcoming titles to be released during the sale include THE IN-LAWS, THE NEW WORLD and new editions of NIGHT & FOG and CARNIVAL OF SOULS.

Well, the next 50% off flash sale at Criterion.com should be happening in September or October, so save those nickels and dimes . . .

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 am

CoffeeDan wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:

Well, the next 50% off flash sale at Criterion.com should be happening in September or October, so save those nickels and dimes . . .

Which is probably what I will do. Impulse buys are not on the radar at the moment. The only recent Criterion I really want is King Hu's A Touch of Zen. I'll get it....eventually.

Jim Roots

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 12:59 pm

I bought four this morning. Would have bought six, but two of them were only available from "outside" sources.

This kind of peeved me. The two films (The Third Man and Grand Illusions) were included in the full list of 815 Criterion films in the sale, both for I think $19.95, but when I clicked on them, I was informed about the outsider sources, and there was no "add to shopping cart" button for them. Moreover, the Welles film was not listed for 50% off by the outsiders even though there was a tagline on their site claiming it was 50% off. They shouldn't have been included in B&N's sale catalogue.

Anyway, I'll be getting the other four, and at nearly a hundred bucks total, that's probably all I can afford now. Besides, Canada Post is planning a labour (note spelling) lockout starting Friday, so delivery is probably a long way off!

Jim

35MM

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Cat People should be out by then, even though I've seen it a hundred times. Waited years for Criterion to get a hold of Dekalag, so that goes on the list.
CURSES!

CoffeeDan

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Jim Roots wrote: The two films (The Third Man and Grand Illusions) were included in the full list of 815 Criterion films in the sale, both for I think $19.95, but when I clicked on them, I was informed about the outsider sources, and there was no "add to shopping cart" button for them. Moreover, the Welles film was not listed for 50% off by the outsiders even though there was a tagline on their site claiming it was 50% off. They shouldn't have been included in B&N's sale catalogue.

That's because the Criterion editions of THE THIRD MAN and GRAND ILLUSION are out of print. They were part of a block of Criterion-leased titles owned by Studio Canal, which has released its own editions since they pulled them from Criterion's shelves about five years ago. The only way you can buy the Criterion editions on the B&N website is through third party sellers, and they aren't affected by the terms of the current sale. That's why you didn't see the "add to shopping cart" button.

Jim Roots

PostThu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:
Jim Roots wrote: The two films (The Third Man and Grand Illusions) were included in the full list of 815 Criterion films in the sale, both for I think $19.95, but when I clicked on them, I was informed about the outsider sources, and there was no "add to shopping cart" button for them. Moreover, the Welles film was not listed for 50% off by the outsiders even though there was a tagline on their site claiming it was 50% off. They shouldn't have been included in B&N's sale catalogue.

That's because the Criterion editions of THE THIRD MAN and GRAND ILLUSION are out of print. They were part of a block of Criterion-leased titles owned by Studio Canal, which has released its own editions since they pulled them from Criterion's shelves about five years ago. The only way you can buy the Criterion editions on the B&N website is through third party sellers, and they aren't affected by the terms of the current sale. That's why you didn't see the "add to shopping cart" button.

Thanks for this explanation.

I did notice, however, a tiny credit about the 50% discount sale on the pop-up windows for the third parties (both of them). That's what puzzled me. The third party did have Grand Illusions at the sale price but in a condition that didn't attract me. The third party who had Third Man was charging the full price, so nuts to him.

Jim

Rick Lanham

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 10:38 am

Deep Discount is having an Olive Films BOGO sale:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/olive-films/b140488

Also read this thread for more info:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargai ... count.html

Rick

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Deep Discount is having an Olive Films BOGO sale:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/olive-films/b140488" target="_blank

Finally, my chance to own a hi-def copy of the Scott Baio comedy Zapped! I've always wanted to see it as the director intended.

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Dang, that Olive BOGO sale at DD only includes three out of the four Betty Boop blu-rays. I'd been holding off getting them in hopes that Olive would do a box set and I could get them all at once (after buying Preminger and film noir titles, only to see them collected later in boxed sets for less overall). Getting three for half-price, and paying full for V2 somewhere else is still pretty good though. Thanks for the heads up!

Rick Lanham

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Yes, I would like to get a Betty Boop box set also. I didn't order any of those, but did order what I thought was everything else that I wanted (and was BOGO). But later I found some on my Amazon want list that I should have ordered. I guess the covers were so familiar from my want list that I thought I had them.

Not sure whether to send another order, I've been buying too much already.

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostMon Jul 11, 2016 8:30 pm

"Prime Day" is July 12th on Amazon.
Here's a link to Amazon's "Prime Day" Movies & TV deals:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gbph_ftr_m ... 8274960307

Rick

s.w.a.c.

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 am

And just you wait, as soon as the Betty Boop BDs arrive, there'll be an announcement of a Complete Betty Boop box set, which fixes the slightly squished aspect ratios of the first batch and includes tons of bonus features (the current BDs have none). That sort of thing happens every time.

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jul 13, 2016 1:05 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:And just you wait, as soon as the Betty Boop BDs arrive, there'll be an announcement of a Complete Betty Boop box set, which fixes the slightly squished aspect ratios of the first batch and includes tons of bonus features (the current BDs have none). That sort of thing happens every time.

Yeah, probably an extra disc or more.
If it happens, I'll be glad someone "took one for the team."

Rick

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Jul 16, 2016 5:14 am

Rick Lanham wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:And just you wait, as soon as the Betty Boop BDs arrive, there'll be an announcement of a Complete Betty Boop box set, which fixes the slightly squished aspect ratios of the first batch and includes tons of bonus features (the current BDs have none). That sort of thing happens every time.

Yeah, probably an extra disc or more.
If it happens, I'll be glad someone "took one for the team."

Ugh, just got an email from DDD, two out of the three Boops they had listed are now unavailable, so now I'm getting one out of the four volumes at a discount price, plus another title I only kinda sorta wanted, to qualify for BOGO. And I ordered the one volume they didn't have from elsewhere at a premium price figuring the amount I was saving on the other three would make it worthwhile.

Which can only mean that a complete Betty Boop set is going to be announced within a matter of days.
PreviousNext

Return to Talking About Talkies