Using Flickr with NitrateVille

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Using Flickr with NitrateVille

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

REEDITED APRIL 2014 TO REFLECT NEW FUNCTIONALITY AT FLICKR

Although the board has a built-in function for images, it fills up quickly and is eventually going to cost me more money. So I strongly encourage the use of a free image-hosting service and linking images here from the outside. Recent changes at Flickr make it especially useful for this, with a free terabyte of space for anybody who signs up. Here's how to use Flickr with NitrateVille:

1. Sign up at Flickr.com

2. Upload your image at any size and resolution; Flickr has a very easy drag and drop interface for this.

3. To find an image, click on "Your Photostream," then click on the image you want to link.

4. Go to the page for the photo you want. In the right hand column, click on the rectangle with an arrow pointing out of it, and click the button for HTML. If you want a different size, use the little downpointing arrow next to where this one says "Medium 500 x 394" to pick a different size.

5. Copy and paste into the text box here, the code which will look like this:

See the part I highlighted in blue, that includes "farm"? That's the URL you want to keep, delete the rest.

6. Then when that's all there is, highlight it and click on the Img box above the text box:

Or just type the image code around the URL as above. That will, when saved, show your image at the size you selected (up to the size limits of the board, which will resize it automatically):

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

entredeuxguerres

Re: Using Flickr with NitrateVille

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 pm

The box-with-arrow doesn't show up at the bottom of my (single) Flickr photo, but rather at the top of the Flickr page, along with other tools. Engaging that box does allow the choice of capturing the image URL, but only that, so far as I can see, no choice of image size, or those other variables. No doubt the "obvious" is staring me in the face, but damned if I can see it.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 1:42 pm

That's because you haven't clicked through to your single photo; you're still on the Photostream. Click on your photo to get the page that looks like the one I show.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

entredeuxguerres

PostSun Jun 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Found it...thanks for the kindergarden lesson.

Brooksie

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Another option for image hosting is http://tinypic.com - you don't need to sign up, and it automatically generates the correct code you'll need to paste in to Nitrateville for the image to show up.

In fact, I don't see any reason why everyone shouldn't be using a service like this or Flickr. Plenty exist, and it's a much better option than Mike having to shell out extra money. I'd be perfectly content if the feature was phased out altogether.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon May 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Yahoo announced today that they are selling their business holdings including Flickr to Verizon Communications. Flickr may stay under the heading Yahoo Holdings, Inc. effective 6/17. Hopefully, Flickr won't change too much so we can still use it for this forum.

Return to Useful Info