Where To Visit in NYC

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Jim Roots

Where To Visit in NYC

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 pm

My wife and I will be going to NYC for our 25th anniversary in a couple of weeks. The anniversary is actually October 1st, but we chose to take an excellently-priced bus tour, and the nearest available date for it is September 20-23. First and last days are travel days. Saturday has a 4-hour morning guided tour. After that, and all day Sunday, we're on our own.

Can N'Villains recommend some places to visit along the lines of bookstores, DVD stores, classic movie kitsch, etc.? My wife is obsessed with sewing and dollmaking, so if there are any such stores located cheek-by-jowl with classic movie stores, we'll be in heaven.

Thanks.

Jim

fwtep

Re: Where To Visit in NYC

PostTue Sep 03, 2013 3:15 pm

The Strand bookstore. THE best. 828 Broadway New York, NY 10003
http://www.strandbooks.com/

Spiny Norman

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:24 am

Ask for a screening at the MOMA, if you can think of a rare movie they have that you both wish to see (sadly there's no online catalog as far as I know). Excellent facilities and afterwards no extra charge for the museum itself.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Daniel Eagan

PostWed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 am

Bookstores are suffering in NYC. I like the Strand, http://www.strandbooks.com/, but it can be crowded. I also like Argosy, http://www.argosybooks.com/shop/argosy/index.html, which is on 59th Street and closer to MoMA.

The museums have good bookstores, including the Museum of the Moving Image, http://www.movingimage.us/, which is nice to visit but unfortunately a bit out of the way.

MoMA, MMI, The Film Forum, Anthology Film Archives, and Film Society at Lincoln Center are the major retrospective theaters.

If you can think of specific films you'd like to see, especially 16mm, you can try to schedule screenings at MoMA and at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center, at Lincoln Center (917-275-6975). The library has a very good selection of movie-related books and magazines.

Classic movie kitsch is in short supply, generally easier to find online. You might find some at flea markets but it's hit or miss. A theater-related bookstore and a movie poster warehouse are recent casualties.

DVD stores are generally the same as anywhere else, big-box stores like Barnes & Noble, Best Buy. J&R Music World, http://www.jr.com/, has good foreign and silent DVD sections. Kim's Video, http://www.mondokims.com/, is a faded shell.

I like shopping in Chinatown for Asian DVDs, there are a couple along the Bowery near the Williamsburg Bridge and a few others a block east. You can find Indian DVDs along Lexington Avenue between 26th and 30th Streets. Korean DVDs along 32nd Street between Fifth and Broadway. Japanese DVDs in many of the Japanese groceries around Manhattan.

I'm at a loss about dolls, although you can check out the collections at the Metropolitan Museum. I'm sure there are antique dolls for sale along Madison Avenue. Ditto sewing.

These are just my opinions. My advice: bring lots of money.

Jim Roots

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks to those who responded to my request.

Still time for others to chime in. We leave here in two weeks.

Jim

Bob Furem

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Shakespeare and Company is also a fine book store with a good selection of film books. I always find one or two must-haves. Also, it is a ten-minute walk from the Strand, which you must browse. So, you might as well go to both.

Jim Roots

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 am

Bob Furem wrote:Shakespeare and Company is also a fine book store with a good selection of film books. I always find one or two must-haves. Also, it is a ten-minute walk from the Strand, which you must browse. So, you might as well go to both.

Is there a website? The only one I can find is the Paris bookstore. What's the address for the New York one?

Jim

Daniel Eagan

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Bob Furem wrote:Shakespeare and Company is also a fine book store with a good selection of film books. I always find one or two must-haves. Also, it is a ten-minute walk from the Strand, which you must browse. So, you might as well go to both.

Is there a website? The only one I can find is the Paris bookstore. What's the address for the New York one?

Jim

There are three outlets in Manhattan and two in Brooklyn. Haven't been to the Brooklyn ones. Manhattan: one is up near Bloomingdales and Hunter College; one is near the Strand; the one on 23rd Street has the worst selection.

Google or Bing "Shakespeare and Company" NYC and you will get the addresses and websites.

Jim Roots

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am

Daniel Eagan wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

There are three outlets in Manhattan and two in Brooklyn. Haven't been to the Brooklyn ones. Manhattan: one is up near Bloomingdales and Hunter College; one is near the Strand; the one on 23rd Street has the worst selection.

Google or Bing "Shakespeare and Company" NYC and you will get the addresses and websites.

That did the trick. Thanks!

Jim

Bob Furem

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Sorry, Jim. Just got notification today that you needed more info. 716 Broadway is the branch of Shakespeare and Co. where I have good luck with film books. A few blocks south of the Strand, but I guess you've already figured that out.

Bob

Return to Useful Info