Subtitles application for Mac and Windows

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Subtitles application for Mac and Windows

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 8:42 pm

http://subtitlesapp.com

The Subtitles application for Mac seems to have been updated recently to version 2.1. I ran 2.0 earlier tonight and it offered to update from within the program. That failed, but a direct download from the above site worked.

When you run the program, a window is displayed. Drag a computer movie file onto the window and the app searches online for a subtitles file (srt) for that movie's title. It doesn't always work, but it's a great help when it does.

Rick

mwalls

Re: Subtitles application for Mac and Windows

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 7:22 am

Does this program allow you to add subtitles manually?

Rick Lanham

Re: Subtitles application for Mac and Windows

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 9:57 am

mwalls wrote:Does this program allow you to add subtitles manually?

No, it doesn't do that. If anyone finds/downloads an already-created subtitle file somewhere, they just put it in the same folder as the movie file. Then, the movie player you are using must be able to display the subtitles. If the movie player doesn't default to showing the subtitles, that function would need to be turned on.

If you are asking how to create a subtitle file, it's just a text file with the times of the dialog and the words spoken. Anyone who can hear well enough can create a good one; or a bad one. I guess there are other types, but I've only used "srt" files.

The program I listed is simplifying a search that can be done at sites such as http://www.opensubtitles.org/en or similar sites. Anyone interested in the format can download a file and open it in a text editor or word processor.

Rick

Return to Useful Info