Getty Images is Changing Access to its Photos

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

Getty Images is Changing Access to its Photos

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 8:10 pm

The article at the link below says that Getty Images is allowing freer access to its images by others. It says that it will do this by adding credit information via an embed code. This will make it clear where the image is from, and allow them to gather info about where it is posted, etc. It also allows them, if things change in the future, to remove such access.

The article explains that a lot of their images have been being used without attribution anyway, so they may as well get the publicity from their use.

I tried searching for several people of interest on the Getty site, and could not find such embed information on those particular photos. So either I was unlucky, or it's not fully implemented, or I don't know what I'm doing.

In any case, it's something to be aware of:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/5/547520 ... ree-to-use

"If you go to the Getty Images website, you'll see millions of images, all watermarked. There are more than a hundred years of photography here, from FDR on the campaign trail to last Sunday's Oscars, all stamped with the same transparent square placard reminding you that you don't own the rights. If you want Getty to take off the watermark, you'll have to pay for it.

"OUR CONTENT WAS EVERYWHERE ALREADY."

Starting now, that's going to change. Getty Images is dropping the watermark for the bulk of its collection, in exchange for an open-embed program that will let users drop in any image they want, as long as the service gets to append a footer at the bottom of the picture with a credit and link to the licensing page. For a small-scale Wordpress blog with no photo budget, this looks an awful lot like free stock imagery.

It's a real risk for the company, since it's easy to screenshot the new versions if you want to snag an unlicensed version. But according to Craig Peters..." The rest is at the link.

Rick

Return to Useful Info