The Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Harold Aherne

The Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings

PostSun Nov 16, 2008 2:41 pm

A number of people here seem to take an interest in early recordings, so I thought I'd mention a relatively new web resource that you'll undoubtedly find useful.

The Encyclopedic Discography of Victor Recordings is a project continuing the work of Ted Fagan and William Moran, who began the work of compiling and publishing the complete recording data of Victor records. Their volumes ultimately did not extend past 1908, but the work done on this database already goes some years beyond. It begins in May 1900 and (as of this writing) goes through September 1924. The goal is to extend the listings to at least the early 50s.

Recordings are searchable by matrix number, catalogue number, selection title, artist and date. For example: on 1 February 1904, Caruso had the studio to himself (he made his first American recordings on that date). On 23 September 1912, the date of the first Keystone releases, we find that the Peerless Quartet and the Victor Minstrel Company (pretty much the same group) were making recordings. Joseph Cawthorn had one session in 1913 and another in 1916 (the latter including "I Can Dance With Everybody But My Wife"). Data on the discs themselves usually include release and deletion dates. Many of the artists also have photographs.

Anyway, the historical and discographical importance of this project is pretty clear, and I just wanted to let all of you know about it.

-Harold

Return to Useful Info