Familiar with Microsoft Works 9? What did I do wrong?

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Darren Nemeth

Familiar with Microsoft Works 9? What did I do wrong?

PostWed Dec 16, 2009 10:25 pm

A month ago I bought Microsoft Works 9, installed it, typed a document and everything was fine. Several days later I tried typing another document and all the characters are scrunched together as seen below!! :(

Also when I open my existing Works document files they appear the same way! They weren't like this in the older version of Works I had on the other computer. I searched through all the settings and tools and can't find what I did wrong. :(

I just reinstalled it tonight and get the same.

Can someone suggest how I can fix this? I have a feeling something needs to either be toggled on or off. :(

Anyone have the same problem?

It looks like this when I type something in a fresh document.

I figured someone here will know the answer because this forums has more than a few book authors.

Darren Nemeth
Crowdfunding page for my book How to Film Moving Pictures in the 1910s!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120756153/cover-and-illustrations-for-a-new-book-on-early-ci

boblipton

PostWed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Darren, with the minimum amoutn of sarcasm, your problem is you're using Microsoft Works. Try switching to Open Office -- it's free.

You may have a hidden character or may have printer setting issues.

Bob
“Oh, yeah, I’ve been there. Pretty cool place. The people who live there? They love it. They’re nuts.”

That we do. And that we are.
-- James Lilek

Rick Lanham

PostWed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 pm

If I had the above problem, and had already re-installed the program, I would:

1. Check to see that the correct fonts are selected for use (maybe in a template file? or a wrong template file is selected?).

2. If that is OK, then I would re-install the fonts from the master disk or a backup.

Rick

Danny Burk

PostThu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 am

It looks like "kerning" is applied - if nothing else, see if you can reset that. I don't know Works at all, but if it's similar to Word, it should be under fonts, character spacing, etc.

Return to Useful Info