CAPITOLFEST 8

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

romecapitol

CAPITOLFEST 8

PostTue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 pm

We have four titles to announce for Capitolfest 8, to be held at the Capitol Theatre, Rome, NY, August 13-15, 2010:

(These are all 35mm prints):
THE GANG BUSTER (Paramount, 1931) Jack Oakie, Jean Arthur

FORBIDDEN ADVENTURE (aka NEWLY RICH) (Paramount, 1931) Edna May Oliver, Louise Fazenda, Mitzi Green

PARAMOUNT ON PARADE (Paramount, 1930) UCLA restoration/re-creation

UNDER A TEXAS MOON (WB, 1930) Frank Fay, Raquel Torres, Myrna Loy, Noah Beery UCLA Technicolor restoration

The theme (or at least one of them) is A Tribute to Jean Arthur--there will be four or five features with her and one short.
More to be announced. (The Capitol website is http://www.romecapitol.com)

Questions and/or comments are always welcome!

Art Pierce
Capitol Theatre
Rome, NY
(315) 337-6277

FrankFay

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 3:36 am

Under a Texas Moon? You mean you're actually going to show Frank Fay- in public?

Thank You!
Eric Stott

romecapitol

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 8:00 am

UNDER A TEXAS MOON was actually our most requested title, proving that Frank Fay is still box office (in Upstate NY, at least).

Art Pierce

LouieD

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 11:31 am

Woo-Hoo!! FRANK FAY!!! I wait for this festival all summer! Can't wait!

FrankFay

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 am

Fay is one of those hard to evaluate personalities. He was a hugely popular figure in his time (especially on radio) but little of what made him a big name transfers to the screen, except in flashes. Of course the fact that he could be a colossal heel didn't help matters.
Eric Stott

Harlett O'Dowd

Re: CAPITOLFEST 8

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 12:48 pm

romecapitol wrote:
FORBIDDEN ADVENTURE (aka NEWLY RICH) (Paramount, 1931) Edna May Oliver, Louise Fazenda, Mitzi Green

PARAMOUNT ON PARADE (Paramount, 1930) UCLA restoration/re-creation

TWO Mitzi Green films? Hmmm.

BTW has any of the corresponding audio for the restored Technicolor portions of P on P been discovered?

FrankFay

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Having never seen any more of Paramount on Parade that the miserable snips on Youtube, I say WHOOOOOPEEEEEEE!
Eric Stott

romecapitol

Re: CAPITOLFEST 8

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
romecapitol wrote:
TWO Mitzi Green films? Hmmm.

BTW has any of the corresponding audio for the restored Technicolor portions of P on P been discovered?

Well, two Mitzi Green films if you count PARAMOUNT ON PARADE, but she doesn't have an awful lot to do in that one. (Except her imitations, of course.) Once upon a time I couldn't stand her, but I've warmed up to her in the last few years, ever since we showed LOVE AMONG THE MILLIONAIRES here and she really went over big with the audience.

I'm not entirely sure how much audio they've found for the restored Technicolor scenes--I know they've found SOME. I think it's still missing for the "Let Us Drink to the Girl of My Dreams" (or whatever it's called) number. SINCE the restoration the Vitaphone Project has found the audio for the opening number (for which, I believe, no film is known to survive) and we're going to play that. through the generosity of those folks.

Art Pierce

FrankFay

PostWed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Mitzi Green is nice in Finn and Hattie, where she's paired with Bobby Searle. at one point he misbehaves and she snaps "Sure- steal my stuff!"
Eric Stott

Return to Useful Info