TCM (Turner Classic Movies) mobile apps (iPhone, etc.)

Site FAQs, calendar of festivals and other helpful tools.
  • Author

Rick Lanham

TCM (Turner Classic Movies) mobile apps (iPhone, etc.)

PostSat Jan 16, 2010 12:05 am

http://www.appscout.com/2010/01/turner_ ... _mobil.php

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) announced a new mobile app that lets users view movie schedules, historical information on hundreds of films, fan commentary, TCM's movie blog, and other film-related content optimized for mobile devices.

In particular, the app focuses on rich video content, with hundreds of clips, trailers, and promos in their original aspect ratios suitable for landscape-mode viewing. It also offers an optimized version of the TCM Movie Database, complete with detailed background information from the American Film Institute catalog.

TCM has released versions of the app for the iPhone, BlackBerry, and Google Android-powered devices for now. The app is available now for $2.99 from Apple's App Store, and will hit BlackBerry App World and Android Market in February.

:D

Rick Lanham

Re: TCM (Turner Classic Movies) mobile apps (iPhone, etc.)

PostWed Nov 06, 2013 8:12 pm

For some reason, TCM's app (on the iPhone) has not been working very well for a long time, most of 2013 in fact. If you still had it installed, you might have been notified of an update today. If you removed it, you might want to install it again to try it.

It's now called "Watch TCM," and in just a quick test, it seems to be working much better.

Rick

Salty Dog

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 3:41 pm

It's more than just an update on the app. If you have the right cable channel, you can now stream the channel.

Good summary here: http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/i-want-my-tcm-streaming-app/
Bill Coleman

rudyfan

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Yup, I loaded it on my phone and tablet to test drive it. Loverly!

Now when I can't sleep in the middle of the night, I can watch TCM in bed without waking the entire house! Well, except the cat.

Christopher Jacobs

PostThu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I downloaded it onto my new (June) iPad -- my very first app download! (Although I'm using it to post this, I'm not a heavy user of my iPad by any means, and it was so long since I'd checked out the iTunes Store I had forgotten my password, so I had to set a new one before I could log in and download.)

My cable provider is listed, so it works! And it's fun! Nicely designed and easy to use! I used it to catch up with the 10th episode of The Story of Film, which was moderately interesting. Then there's the not-so-good news. I've got a fairly fast connection, but the picture still dropped out a few times once I'd gotten about 20 minutes into it, and I had to stop or pause for it all to buffer and catch up several more times before it was over.

Picture quality is decent for short documentaries, interviews, and "bonus feature" material, but I don't think I'd really want to try watching many complete feature films that way unless they were really rare and all but impossible to get in a hard copy. On-demand streaming may be convenient, and a very nice substitute for time-shift recording something for a one-time viewing, but it's no way to experience a movie that has any aspirations towards conveying dramatic power. It seems like it would be most useful for spot-checking scenes of a movie when not near a TV, or checking out the first 10-20 minutes of something to decide whether wanting to buy a Blu-ray edition. Good HD transfers on Blu-ray projected four feet tall by five to ten feet wide are just too addicting to endure current webstreaming technology for any length of time.

Return to Useful Info