Words introduced by movies

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Serch

Words introduced by movies

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 am

Hi everyone!
I am about to start my senior year at college and I have been thinking about a good thesis proposal, and I came up with the idea that (since I am studying english language) I should chose as a topic "the words that were introduced or popularized"by movies.
I have other topics for the thesis proposal as well, but this is so much fun and I was wondering if you could help me find those words,I only know "movies", "paparazzi", and I think thats it...There must have been some words that were used for some decades and then were forgotten, I´d like to know about them as well.
so, any ideas?
Thank you in advance!

silentfilm

Re: Words introduced by movies

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Cinema, Kino, flickers, flapper and vamp.

Serch

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Thank you so much!

Rick Lanham

PostWed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm

Chaplinesque.

Donald Binks

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 6:16 am

"Flea pit" - a cinema not distinguished by its comfort.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Penfold

PostWed Mar 07, 2012 7:52 am

I could use some digital restoration myself...

Frederica

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm

CelinaC wrote:As far as I know, the word 'Zombie' was introduced in "Night of the Living Dead" movie :)

"Zombie" is Haitian creole, my dictionary tells me its etymology is from the Kimbundo word "nzambi." It's been around for a much longer time than the Dead films, half of New Orleans' French Quarter is given over to zombie paraphernalia and How To books (which have never done me a bit of good). Val Lewton had the earlier "I Walked With a Zombie" so Romero wasn't the first filmmaker to use the word, either. Hmmm, now there's an important film history question, up there with bird kissing, murphy beds, and pillow fights--when did the first zombie appear in a film?
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

boblipton

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Frederica wrote:
CelinaC wrote:As far as I know, the word 'Zombie' was introduced in "Night of the Living Dead" movie :)

"Zombie" is Haitian creole, my dictionary tells me its etymology is from the Kimbundo word "nzambi." It's been around for a much longer time than the Dead films, half of New Orleans' French Quarter is given over to zombie paraphernalia and How To books (which have never done me a bit of good). Val Lewton had the earlier "I Walked With a Zombie" so Romero wasn't the first filmmaker to use the word, either. Hmmm, now there's an important film history question, up there with bird kissing, murphy beds, and pillow fights--when did the first zombie appear in a film?

I don't have an OED, which is just the book for this question. However, my pocket AHD gives the same etymology that you offer and says the Kimbundo word means "departed spirit". As for the earliest use, 1932's WHITE ZOMBIE knocks it back more than a decade. The IMDB has a keyword listing for "zombie" back to a couple of Disney movies from 1929 -- but I don't recall the word "zombie" being used in either -- neither of which I have seen in several years.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Frederica

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

boblipton wrote:I don't have an OED, which is just the book for this question. However, my pocket AHD gives the same etymology that you offer and says the Kimbundo word means "departed spirit". As for the earliest use, 1932's WHITE ZOMBIE knocks it back more than a decade. The IMDB has a keyword listing for "zombie" back to a couple of Disney movies from 1929 -- but I don't recall the word "zombie" being used in either -- neither of which I have seen in several years.

Bob

Then the word must have been familiar by then, they wouldn't have given the film a title that would have the paying public muttering "White What? Let's not go see that."

Should we start a Zombie thread, rather than hijacking this one? It will make it easier for people to list early film zombie sightings. Those future film historians, you know.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

countryslicker

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm

During my childhood growing up in Australia, "going to the flicks" was a common expression. The Saturday afternoon screenings in the local cinema were always referred to as "matinees", from which I guess comes "matinee idol". It would be interesting to know of any other regional differences in other English=speaking countries, perhaps even words in a foreign language.

The Zombies should definitely have their own thread :shock:

Richard Finegan

PostThu Aug 30, 2012 1:59 am

countryslicker wrote:
The Zombies should definitely have their own thread.

To quote the great Mantan Moreland in 1941:
"If there's one thing that I wouldn't want to be twice, zombies is both of 'em!"

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Richard Finegan wrote:
countryslicker wrote:

"If there's one thing that I wouldn't want to be twice, zombies is both of 'em!"

The 'Zombie' was also a cocktail. I read of one movie where the Ritz Brothers enter a bar and ask for three Zombies. The bartender says something along the lines of "I can see that. What are you drinking!"

boblipton

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 3:42 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
Richard Finegan wrote:
countryslicker wrote:

The 'Zombie' was also a cocktail. I read of one movie where the Ritz Brothers enter a bar and ask for three Zombies. The bartender says something along the lines of "I can see that. What are you drinking!"

To quote Thomas Waller on the subject:

Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to Site Chat