Who are you? (Formal introductions)

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Bijou

Re: Who are you? (Formal introductions)

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi. I'm Bijou and just joined the forum yesterday. I just plain love old movies. I look forward to participating in discussions here. :D

dramadoc

Who are you? (Formal introductions)

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 am

What a good idea.
My name is Paul Fryer - I am a writer, researcher and academic. I work for a College in the UK called Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance.
My interests lie in the areas of opera, opera singers and silent (pre-sound) film. I have published around this area - probably the best example is my book, The Opera Singer and the Silent Film (McFarland). I have also been involved in several film restoration projects, and have introduced film screenings in the UK, USA, Canada, Russia and The Czech Republic. I will be adding Malta to that list later this year.
I don't teach film - but I have used a great deal of film in my teaching over the years.
I am completing work on a new collection of essays on Opera and The Media (due out next year), and my other activities include running The Stanislavski Centre, and editing the online journal, Stanislavski Studies.
I am delighted to be part of this online community and I hope that I will be able to make a useful contribution.

Daveismyhero

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Hello all,

My name is Dave, and a couple of years ago I started looking into classic movies. I try to pick up one or two hobbies per year, and I set out to watch all of the AFI's Top 100 American Films a few years ago. I ended up watching The General, which led me to watching more and more silents. I have really learned to love old films and I appreciate connecting with others here who share the same passions.

I am a Community Administrator in the real world, and I love being able to come here to talk about things that I really enjoy, instead of discussing work topics. :lol:

If you happened to wander into my basement, you are most likely to see me watching a spooky or funny old movie.

Thank you for having me, and I'll see you online!

Dave
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Darren Nemeth

PostSun Sep 01, 2013 3:30 pm

I am Darren and was one of the first people to register with this forum. :)

I collect films. Used to collect nitrate fragments but the last few that I got had decomp so I stopped. Am hoping to get into the telecine business in early 2014. Starting out with Super 8 / Standard 8 and hope to move up from there. :) Also am working on a book on early cinema and contributed a bunch of silent era films to archives and home video.

Stay tuned!
Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!
http://batboat.blogspot.com/

pbma

PostTue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am

I'm a 1990s baby that only discovered silent films in my teens after wanting to know more about the Little Rascals.

I live in Tasmania, the island state of Australia.

Dee Deforest

PostWed Oct 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Hello my name is Dee Deforest and i am from Nashville Tn. I am so beyond happy that i found this site! I am 53 years old and have been a silent film buff most of my life. I have devoured every book i have ever found on silent film history and silent stars...I am a lover of history period, but film history is my passion. I particularly love the hard luck girls and sometimes the more obscure the better. From the first time I laid eyes on these magnificint mysterious women such as Mary Pickford,Marion Davies,Louise Brooks,Renee Adoree, The Talmadge sisters and so many many more i was hooked...I had to know everything about them and try to see as many of the movies as I could find,which hasn't always been as easy as it is now!..I would go to every used bookstore trying to get my hands on anything about these ladies..I was obsessed!..I remember a few years ago when the Alma Rubens book came out and I could just order it off Amazon opposed to going on a treasure hunt!...I also love Charlie Chaplin! My Grandmother was French and moved to the states after WWII...I used to watch Chaplin films with her when i was young and to this day i smile when i see the Little Tramp. When I finally discovered Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd it set my standards pretty high for comedy! Thanks so much for letting me be a part of this group..I cant wait to learn so much more about these forgotten stars.

Dee Deforest

Wes

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello, my name is Wes. Silent films have been an interest of mine for about 60 of my 75 years. Conveniently, having been born in Hollywood, California, I was able to spend many evenings at The Silent Movie on Fairfax Avenue.
Much of my interest was excited by visits as a small child to my grand uncle and aunt’s mansion in Beverly Hills, quite a different neighborhood from where we lived. He was Henry MacRae, movie writer and then director from 1906 until the early 1940s. Some research has revealed that he was not much qua director, but he lasted a long time in the business, mostly making serials. He ended up producing the three Flash Gordon serials at Universal, which I saw on early television. My interest in early films has continued fairly steadily all these years, and I’m very glad to find Nitrateville.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Nov 03, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice to see you here Wes. I remember watching the Flash Gordon serials on Chicago TV in the '50s. I know for a fact they were still running in 1968 in northern IL also. Many years later, people asked if they could be released on laserdisc. The guy at the laserdisc newsletter, Doug Pratt, asked around and the answer he got was that there was nothing of good enough quality to put on laserdisc. Times changed, or they found better material, and they have been put on DVDs.

So, welcome to you, Wes, I and millions of others enjoyed those serials.

Rick

John-S

PostWed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 am

The name's John, I somehow stumbled over here from someone's link about pre-code films and love the kinds of discussions going on about silents and talkies. I'm a huge fan of all films in general, i'm a film collector of 500+ BDs and am finally started getting the older films i've missed out on. Very eager to read about which silent films you guys suggest.

EllaCinders

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Greetings!
I love vintage film and am a huge fan of Colleen Moore, Clara Bow and Harold Lloyd...plus many others. I make jewelry inspired by classic movie stars, other vintage images and bits and bobs.

Regarding the rest of my life I work as a content assistant on several websites.

NewAsOfRegistration

PostFri May 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi all! Another new guy here, named Jesse.

I just thought I'd join here because I've always held an interest in old movies. I like to think the Three Stooges kicked this off as well as an interest in silent comedies and Hal Roach's output.

I'm mostly of interest in those types of films, but that said, I do enjoy old movies in general and look forward to posting here when I can!

Trunky

PostWed May 28, 2014 5:10 am

Hello. I am a new member from the UK. I am looking forward to exploring the site and contributing to some of the threads. :)

Donald Binks

PostSat May 31, 2014 10:16 pm

pbma wrote:I'm a 1990s baby that only discovered silent films in my teens after wanting to know more about the Little Rascals.

I live in Tasmania, the island state of Australia.

Hiya Pbma. Enjoy yourself here - there are quite a few Aussies hanging around! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Jess McGrath

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 am

Hi - have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to "take the plunge" and post. Have recently found myself fully immersed in silent films and Pre-Codes, and love reading anything I can get my hands on about these films - and that's how I found my way here! Looking forward to continuing to learn from the crowd here.....

sprokett

PostMon Jul 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi Everyone :) I'm also a fan of the classic silver picture. I enjoy finding and collecting films. :mrgreen:
Looking forward to chatting with you all.

bettedavis

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello! :D I joined last year and am only now starting to post oops. My name is Ashley and I can't wait to chat with fellow classic film fans. Everyone seems very nice and knowledgable.

Motherofeyelid

PostMon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 am

Hello! I just joined because my friend filmnotdigital sent me a post from your site. I'm Frako Loden, and my interest in silent cinema is from over a decade studying the art of silent film narration in Japan, an unfinished doctorate from UC Berkeley. Having left that behind, I now teach ethnic studies and film history at Cal State U East Bay (Hayward) and Diablo Valley College. I'm a longtime fan of Buster Keaton--I cried when I saw his initials that he carved into a rock wall in Muskegon, Michigan, in 1908--and Roscoe Arbuckle--I spent an eerie, sleepless night in his infamous suite at the St. Francis Hotel. I'm a faithful attendee of anything put on by the San Francisco Silent Film Festival.

shoshone

PostFri Oct 03, 2014 11:50 am

Hello everyone from Italy!

I'm 30 years old, and not much more than a year ago I realized that though I loved watching movies, I didn't know anything from the older ones.
So I started watching films from the 1920's and fell in love with Chaplin, Keaton, Lang, Murnau, Sjostrom...

Since I really loved most of the film I was watching then my interest in classic cinema got deeper. My journey from film to film and from one website to another brought me here. Hope to stay long!

Dainty_Dorine

PostTue Oct 14, 2014 10:56 am

Hello!

My name is Dorine. I'm relatively new to silent movies but my enthusiasm makes up for my lack of knowledge!! By day I work in an office but by night I do lindy hop, sew my own clothes and try to watch as many silent movies as I can. I managed to get a ticket for the BFI screening of "Why be good" in London. I am so looking forward to it, being a bit of a Colleen Moore admirer.

Brunhilde

PostSun Oct 26, 2014 8:20 am

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a woman of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long year, stole many a man's soul to waste.

Well some of that's true! I'm an old broad who is an absolute dyed in the wool cinephile. I've had a passion for movies for a good 57 years and counting, I cut my teeth on film noir.

I'm a fiend for Fritz Lang and F. W Murnau. And any and all silent movies I can get my mitts on to watch. I can't possibly name favorites, actors or movies, the list would be far too long. I'd bore you and get cramps in my fingers.

I'm looking forward to perusing the boards.

Lagonda

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 pm

What a wonderful site!

My name is Siri Keller. I am from Germany and an attorney at law. But my heart belongs to movies of the silver screen, English history, biographies, Jitterbug, records and most of all silents. I've been watching and collecting classic films for over 25 years and I wish I could work in this field and help to preserve those precious treasures from the past for generations to come.
To me silents as well as sliver screen talkies are not only highly entertaining, exuberant with great performers and brilliant film technicians but also a documentary of a culture passé and much more interesting than most modern movies. Besides it is astonishing how accomplished movies as well as technology have been at this early stage.
Some of my favourite actors are Jean Harlow, Garbo, Barbara La Marr, Conrad Veidt, Roy D'Arcy, Olive Thomas, Joseph Schildkraut, Wera Engels and Conway Tearle.

I am looking forward to share my experiences and great admiration for silents and talkies on this website.

Frederica

PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

Brunhilde wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a woman of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long year, stole many a man's soul to waste.

Pleased to meet you. Hope to guess your name.
:D
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Jim Roots

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Frederica wrote:
Brunhilde wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a woman of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long, long year, stole many a man's soul to waste.

Use all your well-earned politesse, Frederica.

Ji-- (oh wait: what's my name? What's my name? What's my name?)

Christopher Jacobs

PostSat Nov 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Frederica wrote:

Use all your well-earned politesse, Frederica.

Ji-- (oh wait: what's my name? What's my name? What's my name?)

I always preferred the cover version by Blood Sweat & Tears on their third album over the Rolling Stones' original. The jazz-rock fusion seems to give it a bigger scope and intensity (at least it certainly did for a teenager back in the 70s). But of course that can be another entire discussion thread!

Jim Roots

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 7:01 am

Christopher Jacobs wrote:I always preferred the cover version by Blood Sweat & Tears on their third album over the Rolling Stones' original. The jazz-rock fusion seems to give it a bigger scope and intensity (at least it certainly did for a teenager back in the 70s). But of course that can be another entire discussion thread!

The "world music" drums and juju dancers an doo-wop "whoo-whoos" weren't big enough for you in 1968?

Jim

Frederica

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 am

Jim Roots wrote:Use all your well-earned politesse, Frederica.

Or you'll lay my soul to waste?

Christopher Jacobs wrote:I always preferred the cover version by Blood Sweat & Tears on their third album over the Rolling Stones' original. The jazz-rock fusion seems to give it a bigger scope and intensity (at least it certainly did for a teenager back in the 70s). But of course that can be another entire discussion thread!

Ummm...I don't remember that version, but then it was the 60s.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Jim Roots

PostMon Nov 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Jim Roots wrote:

The "world music" drums and juju dancers an doo-wop "whoo-whoos" weren't big enough for you in 1968?

Jim

I mean, who knew Mick and Keith were closet Hugh Herbert fans?

Jim

donnie

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi, everyone!

I'm in the Athens, GA vicinity, and have been thinking about joining here for awhile.

I've been a silent film enthusiast for many years. In general, my area of strongest interest would be contemporary dramas from the approximately 1913-1923 period. I love many of D.W. Griffith's films (especially the Biograph shorts), the Gaumont serials and early feature films from the teens, especially the early Cecil B. Demille work. In addition, I like almost all the Edison films from the teens and about anything Lois Weber directed.

I also like all the Sennett comedies, Harold Lloyd, Keaton, and the comedies in general from the late 20's.

I have an interest in very early talkies, but haven't seen many to this point.

Some of my other interests include classical music, Mac computing, and natural foods.

I'm glad to be here and look forward to discussing films with everyone. :)

Petebain

PostTue Nov 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi
My name is Pete. I've been lurking here for awhile with great pleasure. I live in PA (transplanted from NC many years ago). I've been a fan of old films since my high school years when I would watch them on "educational" television. I was introduced to the joys of silent comedies during my years at UNC Chapel Hill (thank you, "Free Flicks"). I've experienced a resurgence of interest since the DVD and Internet age has made access so much easier. I still consider myself a student of these wonderful films, but I hope my knowledge has grown considerably the last few years.

I have a day job, but my other passion is performing as a jazz bassist.

Bob Birchard

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Welcome, Donnie and Petebain, the more the merrier!
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat