Who are you? (Formal introductions)

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Filmharmonie

Re: Who are you? (Formal introductions)

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 11:34 am

May I introduce myself, I am Michael Seeber, publisher and artistic director of The Filmharmonie Orchestra (Austria). Since more then ten years I am engaged in producing cine-concerts with orchestra, and I started to publish these concerts on DVD. Due to time-consuming administration, research for films and related material, and producing featurettes, the number of published films is yet small, but growing. Some of it can be found on http://www.filmharmonie.at
I'm pleased to find so many interesting threads in this forum and looking forward to find more.

filmfinder

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 pm

My name is Erin Naillon. I've been a fan of silent film since my teen years. In 2008, I presented a silent 1929 feature called Ed's Co-ed at the silent film festival in Pordenone, Italy, and wrote an article about it for that year's catalog. I live in Prague.

alx

PostSun Feb 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi everybody, my name is Alessio Vacchi and I finally registered here after years of just reading the forum. I'm from Turin, I'm 29 and I've been a cinema lover since I was a child. I studied cinema (just theory) and I have a weakness for silents:
I frequent Le giornate del cinema muto in Pordenone and I'm a member of a group of ex-students and workers of the area of cinema, called Brigate (Brigades) Irma Vep, that promotes silent cinema by means of showings, live music accompanied screenings, book presentations (group which in fact is now in crisis, as many things here in Italy, but never say never).
I don't think I will post much but will keep on reading others' posts for sure.

Perseus577

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 am

Hi Everyone! My name is Jack Weiss, and I am passionate about films (aren't we all?). I studied film as an undergraduate with the late Gerald Mast, Jiri Weiss (no relation), and --briefly-- Jan Kadar. I researched and wrote the first draft of a successful film preservation grant as an intern at the Special Collections department of the Research Library at The American Museum of Natural History. I work as an Adult Reference Librarian in Westchester, New York.

There was a recent posting of a 2 color Technicolor photo of Esther Ralston on the FB home page of Stars of the Silent Film and early Talkies, which I am certain many here are members of. I have spent fruitless hours on the Internet trying to track down the origin of this photo; is it a still from Costuming, modeling, or a film. I am not going to try and post the image due to group restrictions. Any help would be appreciated.

dgunning

PostWed Apr 29, 2015 8:00 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Don Gunning and I live in the Chicago suburbs. I'm a long time film fan, but I've recently become especially interested in silent film, particularly silent comedy -- trying to watch and learn as much as I can about it. So I was delighted to find this forum recently; the accumulated knowledge here is incredible and there are a number of members whose names I'm already familiar with. I'll probably just mostly read and learn a lot.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:16 pm

Just found this thread, so here goes: I'm Robert Smith, fifty-eight years young, and have been actively interested in cinema for more than forty of them, but my liking for older films goes back a bit further than that and have been fortunate enough to see such films in cinemas from an early age. And of course television helped, even the much despised efforts of Bob Monkhouse and Michael Bentine.

I've lived in Southsea, England, most of my life, and had a bit of a chequered work life until 1987 when my brother set me up running a second-hand bookshop, which is still afloat - after a fashion. From 1972, I was involved in local film societies and was a member of the BFI until 1990, when I got married, which meant finances, etc. went elsewhere. This petered out a few years later, and I have been with my long-suffering partner for over twelve years now. We also have a very hungry black-and-white cat, who adopted us about five years ago.

After a bit of a lapse, my film interest was able to feed itself on the mass of movies which started to come out on dvd, followed by the Public Domain stuff which became available via the Internet Archive and Jimbo Berkey. We went online a little short of three years ago, which meant that the variety of available films (to download, buy or watch on YT, Video Dailymotion, etc) expanded rapidly and my discovery of Nitrateville in 2013 meant things would blossom even more.

I don't go to theatrical showings a lot now, although there is the odd one which attracts me. Usually it is a question of fitting a show in with work and personal life, so a lot of that goes by the board. In addition, one gets a bit fed up with seeing older films badly presented and very few of the modern films have much appeal. I was a fairly regular filmgoer in the 1970s and 1980s, but these periods have little appeal now. At least through all the available sources, there is no shortage of appealing films to watch - quite the reverse!

My main areas of film interest are the 1920s and 1930s, but I see quite a few films from other periods, particularly when watching movies with my partner. The older movies have an extra appeal in that so many have been either unavailable (to me) or just so rarely shown as to make a re-acquaintance very desirable.

And the Nitrateville community has provided an splendid forum for discussion and exchange of information with those who are interested in the many aspects of film history. There are many interesting discussions, and the tone (with some exceptions) is usually civilised and friendly. Disagreement is bound to occur as we all bring our own baggage to a film and we often watch then under different circumstances. Long may we continue!

alvisrocks

PostThu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi-

Singer-guitarist for many years in the Asbury Park NJ music scene. Saw my first silent and classic films at Professor Sussman's Cultural History classes while studying music and history at Rutgers, where we learned how films were powerful mirrors of the times in which they were made.

I have several online music sites and a blog devoted to pretty much anything I feel like writing about (including a series on silents) on Wordpress. My YouTube site Alvis1515 his loads of clips of Asbury Park based performers from over the years.

Picked up on my love of silent films with the coming of the digital video age a few years back and now I like to spend time learning about silents and early talkies on this site especially so thanks thanks thanks for this site!!!

tthacker

PostThu Aug 13, 2015 9:55 am

Since I hope to meet some of you in person at this year's Cinecon, this seems like a good time to introduce myself. In real life, I work at (The) Ohio State University, currently in an IT department. Academically, I have a degree in Anthropology, but I also took several film courses in hopes of minoring in the subject, but that fell through due to a change in my major. Besides movies, my other interests include book collecting and photography. As for movies, my tastes are very broad, covering just about every genre and period. The first movie I remember seeing in a theatre was a re-release of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, late 60s or so. Over the last couple of years I've been researching the life and work of early Hollywood photographer Nelson Evans, who grew up in the neighborhood in which I currently live. Although it's been challenging, I have enjoyed learning more about the early days of Hollywood. Speaking of which, I usually make a trip out west biannually, taking in the sites and soaking up the atmosphere. Looking forward to my first Cinecon and meeting some fellow Nitratevillians.

Tom Thacker

TwoStripTechnicolor

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 10:09 pm

Evenin folks! The name's Isaac, I've been lurking about this place for ages and I thought I'd join in once and for all. I'm an illustrator, classic film enthusiast (although I rarely have time to actually watch movies these days) and something of a cinematography nerd with a bit of an obsession with ancient color processes, as you can probably guess from my screen name. I run a Tumblr blog that specializes mainly in various vintage tidbits with an emphasis on moviemaking, early color footage and animation (although deviations are extremely common). I also run a separate blog for my art, link for both are in my signature. Not sure I'll be much of a frequent poster but I had to come out of the shadows.

MaryGH

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 8:24 am

May as well introduce myself formally here even though I already made a few posts.

My name is Mary, I am 48, a freelance writer, also works for a small B2B publisher, love most genres of film except romance.

Love the old horror silent films and also Tom Tyler, my personal favorite. <3
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/ ... ent-films/

wich2

PostThu Aug 27, 2015 4:35 pm

I've been a member here for about a year and a half, visited for a few months before that, but just now stumbled upon this thread!

Craig Wichman here. Born in the Midwest town of Defiance, Ohio, but based in Manhattan since coming to New York University 39 years (!) ago. Studied acting with Stella Adler, and have since worked in all media, from Regional Theater to Off-Broadway, Corporate Video to TV to Features. Founder of a labor-of-love called Quicksilver Radio Theater that occasionally produces Modern Audio Drama, and cast member of over a decade of the dear departed Friends of Old Time Radio conventions, were I was blessed to recreate Classic Era Radio plays with actual veterans of that bygone era.

I think my earliest history with Silents may have been the Jay Ward material sandwiched into many of his productions, of course including FRACTURED FLICKERS. The first whole feature I saw was an early '70s PBS broadcast of THE BELLS, because of the Karloff connection. I recall the yearn to hear sounds as almost painful, but my senses learned to attune! Moved on then to Blackhawk Films, both bought from them (and traded, which is where I "met" the charming David Shepard), and borrowed from the library: PHANTOM, IRON MASK, and many L & H shorts. Have never looked back, from Silent 8mm to Sound S-8 to VHS to S-VHS to Laser to DVD to Blu.

Longtime member of the Universal Monster Army site, and also the Classic Horror Film Board (though I may be easing off there, as I am getting too old to waste time with the small handful of trolls who so poison some of the web.) Came here largely on the urging of smart fans and good guys Jack Theakston and Max Cheney, and was happy to bump into some other folks that I know here.

Some of my favorite films in the medium include SUNRISE, THE WIND and the work of Keaton, Gish, Bill Hart, and Chaney.

All the best,
-Craig Wichman

P.S. - Also author of several articles, and one book, STANDING IN THE SPIRIT AT YOUR ELBOW, which combines two of my loves, Radio Drama and Dickens' CHRISTMAS CAROL.

KittyCathy

PostMon Sep 07, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi! My name is Anna, but everyone calls me Kitty or Cathy because of my middle name. I love old, classic films. I'm from Poland so my favourite classic films are polish pre-war movies.

LadyLand

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 11:52 am

Hello! My name's Hanna. KittyCathy is my twin sister. I love the polish pre-war films, too.

Cinékarine

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi folks,

My name is Karine Philippot in Montréal, Québec. I've been a devoted classic movie film buff for many years. I fell in love with musicals in 1985 when I was 12, and the rest, as they say is history, LOL I have been collecting films ever since, not only musicals but all genres from the 30s-50s (except horror). I have many favorite stars including : William Holden, Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Lizabeth Scott, Cary Grant, Jennifer Jones, Joan Fontaine, Fred Astaire, Kathryn Grayson, Dean Martin, Jane Powell, Gordon MacRae, Jean Arthur... the list goes and on. I love B-films, and especially B-musicals, as much the more widely-known films from that era.

I am a professional translator by profession and also a trained singer, singing in a Broadway-type choir. I have been familiar with NitrateVille for many years, but just decided to join.

For many years, I have been keenly interested in and have devoted a lot of time to research on dubbed singing voices on the screen. So much erroneous information has been reprinted over and over both in books and online and I always do my bets to set the record straight. The IMDB lists only a small fraction of performers who were dubbed. A lot of the most prominent ghost-singers do not even have entries. Many other sources contain unverified data or mere assumptions. Through the years, perhaps because I am a singer too, it has become easy as pie for me to recognize some 100 different ghost-singers. I do my best to obtain copies of all films in which a performer might possibly be dubbed. We all have our passions, LOL

Looking forward to chatting with all of you.

CinéKarine

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSat Sep 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Lots of new folks with some interesting interests we haven't talked about before. Welcome! Feel free to make a post about pre-war Polish silents or dubbed singers or whatever and get the ball rolling, see what other people respond with.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Avariela

MissMontana

movie16mm

PostSun Oct 18, 2015 8:38 pm

My name is Ken Terres, I am on the faculty of the Media Studies Department at the University Of North Carolina Greensboro. I teach video production and film appreciation (from a historical perspective). In a past life I was a TV writer/producer/director. I began collecting 16mm films whem I was 10 and have a great love for film.

universalfanatic

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 1:39 pm

Allow me to introduce myself

My name is Bill I live in Mass been collecting films off and on since the 60's at first from the captain company back pages of famous monsters. then discovered Blackhawk films through sears & robuck of all places

Then in the 70's started collecting 16mm I am now trying to get a few titles from the silent era to complete my universal horror collection I just found a very nice person who is selling me a print of the man who laughs I've been looking for that one for awhile..
looking for Blackhawk print of twenty thousand leagues under the sea, Paul FeJos Last performance, & Paul Leni's "Last Warning"

UniversalFanatic

wich2

PostThu Nov 05, 2015 4:56 pm

"UF" -

Are you member of the Classic Horror Film Board, or the Universal Monster Army?

-Craig

R. Cat

PostWed Dec 23, 2015 2:51 am

Hi, my name is Robert Cat Conrad. I'm an avid collector of silent films on DVD & Blu-ray ...and frequently upgrade, or so my wife tells me. I'm into everything from Harold Lloyd comedies to German expressionist cinema and all things in-between, which is kinda redundant when you think about it (see previous sentence). :wink:

Professionally, I'm an artist (paintings & illustration), auctioneer/entertainer, and more recently, involved in film production/acting. I have a longer bio that's entirely degradable, but it makes good mulch.

As an introduction this is pretty sketchy, but I like keeping things brisk until folks get to know me better. Apologies for the pun-ish humor (alas, that's second nature), but all kidding aside, here's a toast to everyone having a wonderful holiday season and glorious 2016...

Cat

StageaXSam

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 4:50 pm

I am a piano/organ teacher who has long had an interest in silent movies. I have an interest in many eras of music, including classics, film, big band, jazz and broadway. I have a vintage parlor grand, A Yamaha digital organ (top of the line) and am currently working on a virtual theater pipe organ. That goes along with my interest in silent films. I do not have much experience in playing for silent films, but a strong interest. I particularly want to have a good DVD of The Phantom of the Opera along with the music score by Gaylord Carter.

Sam J Gilstrap

Dean Thompson

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 am

I'm Dean Thompson, and I teach English at Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. While my specialties are early American literature and Southern literature, I also teach two film courses: Silent Film and Film Noir. How lucky is that? My students fall in love with Chaplin and Keaton; they really take to Murnau and Von Sternberg; they love A Corner in Wheat, Melies, The Land Beyond the Sunset, Caligari, and The Crowd; but (no matter how hard I try) they so far have little use for Eisenstein or Ozu. In Film Noir, three favorites always win hands down: Double Indemnity, Out of the Past, and The Night of the Hunter. As you've probably surmised by now, my courses are rather canonical, but when you're teaching a generation who seriously think that Dirty Dancing is an old film….

I write commentaries from time to time for Silents are Golden, and SAG webmaster Tim Lussier and I have been attending Cinevent together since 1998. That convention has been a great resource for films, books, and lively talk over good food. Nitrateville has been invaluable as well, for I've learned a great deal from the informed and often funny discussions here. It's good to be on board.

silentfilm

PostFri Jan 22, 2016 12:29 pm

Dean,
If you are ever looking for a guest speaker, author and historian Frank Thompson recently moved to North Carolina. He's an expert on French Foreign Legion movies, Alamo movies and silent films.

Marr&Colton

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 6:17 pm

I am a life long old movie/theatre/theatre organ fan. After 1950s young childhood at historic neighborhood theatre matinees, began collecting 16mm films in 1960 as a kid and had my first movie party in the back yard with my little Excel 16mm silent projector on the picnic table with 8 neighborhood kids in attendance. Grew up in the 60s with the great old movies and shorts on TV. Later began collecting 16mm sound projectors and films, moved into 35mm after buying the old downtown Toledo Boys Club theatre booth at auction for $90--two carbon arc projectors later set up in a large apartment. Began classic film series at the historic Toledo Zoo Theatre in 1982. When 1985 came around, I worked with the local theatre organ society based at an old neighborhood theatre installing a Marr & Colton (my screen name) theatre pipe organ. In 1990 achieved a life long dream of owning my own theatre when I bought the 200 seat REX THEATRE in Morenci, Michigan, installing a pipe organ and bringing back the good old days of movies to that small town. After several years of joy with the theatre, sold it and eventually produced classic film series at several local historic theatre venues. After retirement, have concentrated on my home Palace Theatre, designed as a tribute to the good old movies--(now digital) where I also have a mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ installed and host weekly classic movies and shorts. Most recent silent film presentation was SHERLOCK, JR. accompanied live by theatre organist Jay Spencer to a full house.
Last edited by Marr&Colton on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Donald Binks

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Marr&Colton wrote:I am a life long Toledo old movie/theatre/theatre organ fan. After 1950s young childhood at historic neighborhood theatre matinees, began collecting 16mm films in 1960 as a kid and had my first movie party in the back yard with my little Excel 16mm silent projector on the picnic table with 8 neighborhood kids in attendance. Grew up in the 60s with the great old movies and shorts on TV. Later began collecting 16mm sound projectors and films, moved into 35mm after buying the old downtown Toledo Boys Club theatre booth at auction for $90--two carbon arc projectors later set up in a large apartment. Began classic film series at the historic Toledo Zoo Theatre in 1982. When 1985 came around, I worked with the local theatre organ society based at an old neighborhood theatre installing a Marr & Colton (my screen name) theatre pipe organ. In 1990 achieved a life long dream of owning my own theatre when I bought the 200 seat REX THEATRE in Morenci, Michigan, installing a pipe organ and bringing back the good old days of movies to that small town. After several years of joy with the theatre, sold it and eventually produced classic film series at several local historic theatre venues. After retirement, have concentrated on my home Palace Theatre, designed as a tribute to the good old movies--(now digital) where I also have a mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ installed and host weekly classic movies and shorts. Most recent silent film presentation was SHERLOCK, JR. accompanied live by theatre organist Jay Spencer to a full house.

Evan J. Chase

Welcome old thing. I too am a cinema/theatre organ aficionado although I have not gone to the lengths of putting one of these beasts in my home as you seem to do with gusto in the States. :D

I am a member of ATOS as I guess you are too and have been to a few conventions - Seattle, L.A., Newport in the fairly recent past and hope to be able to get to next year's in Florida (if I can save enough pennies).

It looks as though we can discuss organs as well as fillums! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

Marr&Colton

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 5:34 am

I understand you folks down there in Australia have some very nice old theatres with Mighty Wurlitzers.

I was the local ATOS Chapter President for my town for several years, but haven't been to conventions---hope to at least
attend some programs this summer in nearby Cleveland, where the 2016 convention is.

texascubbie

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 pm

I apologize for not stopping in here first!

I've been a long term silent film fan, especially of John Barrymore--at about 15 or 16 years old, I had an 11x17 framed photo of him on my wall and scoured the pre-web land for VHS copies of JB's films. I had The Tempest, Jekyll, Beloved Rogue (which sent me on a Francois Villon kick that meant JB was inadvertently reponsible for me getting into the English PhD program at the Uni of Iowa since my application essay was on Villon and Thibault d'Aussigny!), and I believe two others, including Don Juan. I read all I could on him, including his autobiography and all the other bios. I have also been a classic movie nerd for as long as I can recall--the first movie I ever recorded (on VHS) was the 1950 Cyrano de Bergerac!

So of course I was doomed to end up here! I taught college-level English for 15 years before my present job as assistant director of a TRiO educational grant program at my undergrad university in San Antonio, TX. I have rediscovered the joy by surfing the web--so much interesting info out here! I'm pleased with Nitrateville's intense serious interest and hope to find it a resource for my unanswered questions!

Right now I'm obsessing over Lionel Barrymore's early film and his later roles after he began to act while in his wheelchair. I have a personal investment in this kind of study as I have Relapsing-Remitting MS and am pretty secure in the idea I may need a wheelchair later in life (perhaps much later, but my legs were the first things affected by the MS). I recently watched The New York Hat, America (STUNNING! LB steals it!), Guilty Hands (AMAZING too! Can't believe how active and wily he is--sometimes he has JB moments), a couple of Kildares, and am in the middle of Myserious Island on youtube.

I'm on FB, Twitter, Instagram, and blog now and then on MS. I'm happy to email or chat back and forth if anyone thinks I have info that would be useful!

Love, joy, peace, and happiness to all--
Sam MB (texascubbie)
Happiness often comes in through a door you didn't know you left open. --John Barrymore

Decrepit FilmFan

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Greetings! Fully retired former career military musician, with a post military career of sorts working on-the-floor in retail sales. Long time movie fan with a special interest in the silent era.

Truth be told, much as I enjoyed attending the cinema and collecting home videos (mostly on Laserdisc) in my younger days, I've not visited a movie theatre more than two or three times in decades. If memory serves, the last film I saw in a theater was LotR: The Two Towers, which I found a great disappointment. Thing is, my great passion was listening to and, to lesser extent, studying classical music. That's where I sunk the bulk of my leisure time and money. Only recently have I resumed acquiring additions to my DVD film library in earnest, purchasing five silents on disc within the past month. I never made the jump to blu ray but now contemplate doing so, though the approach of 4k adds a layer of uncertainty as to when and to what I take the plunge.

My exposure to silent film came during the late 60s or early 70s when our local PBS station aired them one evening per week. It was Douglas Fairbanks' Mark of Zorro that hooked me. I was able to attend a showing of Francis Ford Coppola's version of Abel Gance's Napoleon when it toured southern California during the early/mid 80s. Sadly, that event was ruined for me when I developed a horrific migraine not 15min into the film. My overriding memory that evening is pain, that and cracking the car door open to puke during the drive home. (Thankfully, my migraines are nowadays largely under control thanks to a combination of semi effective preventative medication, almost totally effective breakthrough ender, and strict avoidance of food triggers in so far as that is possible.) I do own the Coppola Napoleon on laserdisc, btw, and hoped to acquire the upcoming Davis scored Napoleon until learning that it can not be released on home video in the US. Of recent silent acquisitions, I'm most impressed by Wings, both as a presentation and a movie. Would that all home video releases receive such lavish treatment.

Manora

PostSun Apr 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Ahoy-hoy! So I already posted in a thread about Wallace Reid, but he's hard to resist, so there we go.

I live in the UK, I've been interested in silent film and early 20th century popular culture for as long as I can remember, helped by my dad having managed a cinema back in the 70s where he'd usually show silent shorts before the big event. I'm a fan of all kinds really, not necessarily the 'must-see' films - I like what I like - maybe because growing up, silents were just another kind of film in our family. I confess to a soft spot for Wallace Reid and early documentary snippets as well as popular songs of the time - I'm sure my other half loves me belting out 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart' or 'At the Motion Picture Ball' while making dinner, oh yes :D

I am typing this on an iPad and my finger is getting tired, but it's lovely to meet you all and I look forward to learning and discussing plenty!
PreviousNext

Return to Site Chat