iPad problems

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

iPad problems

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 am

So a couple of people who see the site on iPads have reported that it suddenly started showing only a shrunk down image of any page you click on. I have confirmed this on my own iPad as well.

I'm working through how to fix this, which is probably some incompatibility in the original code for the new design. But other bits of maintenance will happen too. So the site could go down at some point temporarily.

As always the backup for NitrateVille info is the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NitrateV ... 2944033727
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Paul Penna

Re: iPad problems

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm

With my version 3 iPad, bringing up an individual thread will result in the view momentarily shrinking (much as used to happen when an oversized image or lengthy unbreakable link was posted in one of the messages), but then within a second the view resizes correctly. No problem with individual message or forum topic list views. This started happening within the past week. This is with Safari and iOS 6.1.3.

countryslicker

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm using a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 and the same problem started occurring within the past week. If I click on an individual post it shrinks and stays that way. I'm on Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Thought at first it was a tablet problem.

Christopher Jacobs

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 pm

By extremely unusual coincidence, I noticed the shrink problem last week as well, as at the end of a two-week workshop on Teaching With Technology that I attended the middle of June, each of the participants was issued a brand-new iPad! (though just the entry-level 16GB second-generation wifi-only model) My new iPad is running the latest OS version 6.1.3 and as long as I'm within wifi range, it's quite nice for quick internet searches, browsing web forums, or checking email, but with no built-in keyboard I don't do much typing on it. I may need to buy one of those keyboard/case combos. (This post I am typing on my regular PC laptop with my iPad beside me.) It actually seems sort of like a big iPhone without the phone service. Can iPads actually do anything other than use the internet?

Anyway, back to the main topic -- while browsing the NitrateVille index and forums in Safari, everything shows up normally, but whenever you click on a topic the image shrinks to about half the screen width. Of course it's easy to get the image back to full screen-width almost instantly either by double tapping the screen or by the standard two-finger stretch/squeeze and drag motion on the screen surface until the screen is at the desired size and position. Still it's a bit disconcerting at first, and only moderately annoying.

Paul Penna

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Like I mentioned above, I'm only getting a momentary shrinkage with some pages that pops back to the correct size without my having to do anything. As for other iPad uses, it makes a good e-book reader; I used the Kindle app and have gotten lots of public domain books free from Amazon. It's also the best portable photo album. And I do most of my simple web browsing on it; nice because I can do it from my easy chair rather than sitting at the computer. Specifically film-related, it's nice to have at hand when viewing to answer the questions that always seem to occur. Using Yahoo messenger (several other options work, of course) I've had transcontinental movie nights with a friend while we watch either discs or Netflix streaming in sync on our TVs.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 8:30 pm

The problem exists and I'm working on getting it fixed soon.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Changsham

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 5:16 pm

About a month ago my ipad2 started showing only a blacked out page when I opened a thread on Nitrateville. Could not read anything for over a week. I was running IOS 1.4 and upgraded to the lated IOS. Since then I get the same problem with a shrunken page when a thread is opened. Easily fixed and no big deal but perhaps no co-incidence that there are new problems on the old IOS also.

Return to Site Chat