Robert S. Birchard Banned from Silentcomedymafia

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

Bob Birchard

Robert S. Birchard Banned from Silentcomedymafia

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:24 pm

In response i was going to write:

In case anyones wondering why I have disappeared from Silentcomedymafia, it's because Richard M. Roberts banned me from the newsgroup this morning. Apparently free speech and facts make him and some other folk over there nervous, and I figured it was only a matter of time before he cancelled my ticket.

Well, we'll still be watching the prattling uninformed who have monopolized a lot of space of recent over there when we have the time, and if there are any truly egregious stupidities mentioned, we may post some uncensored corrections over here. Stay tuned.

ROBERT S. BIRCHARD

. . . but instead I'll just say, "Oh, frabjous day!" ;-}

entredeuxguerres

Re: Robert S. Birchard Banned from Silentcomedymafia

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Would have thought that one who so bitterly protested the abridgement of his free (or rather, abusive) speech would have exercised the very greatest degree of tolerance toward the dissenting opinions of others; not so, obviously.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Sorry to hear it, Bob, but always glad when you participate here.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Arndt

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 10:01 am

I find it bizarre that Mr Roberts' comment on this matter ends

"And you know, it's all just about watchin' movies folks, that's what makes these petty bitternesses and rivalries so stupid. The fighting is so bloodthirsty because the stakes are so small."

when he is so obviously the instigator of most of the aggravation. His trademark descents into potty-mouthed slurs have yet to be matched by anybody else I have read posting on this or other film forums.
MELIOR

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 10:54 am

Let's not refight the great Richards war. That's over here.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Arndt

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 11:48 am

You're obviously right, Mike. I just couldn't help myself. :oops:

At least you didn't ban me from Nitrateville.
MELIOR

Gloria Rampage

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Please read the actual thread before posting judgmental remarks:

http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewto ... ?f=5&t=969

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Or not, and spare yourself on Thanksgiving...

entredeuxguerres

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Gloria Rampage wrote:Please read the actual thread before posting judgmental remarks:

http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewto ... ?f=5&t=969" target="_blank

"Judgmental remarks"? I got as far as "mean spirited asshole" (referring to Bob), & concluded I'd read enough to validate my own judgmental remarks. I'm tempted to ask Bob why he was palavering there at all, knowing the climate, but I don't wish him to think me a mean spirited asshole.

WaverBoy

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Mr. Roberts can't handle it when he's wrong, and will absolutely not let anyone but him have the last word on anything. I've probably been banned from his forum after my response there to his post lambasting me about a post I made here regarding the print quality of some Grapevine releases which had nothing to do with him, but I really can't be bothered to check.

LouieD

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Good thing I continue researching a comedian no one gives a shit about.

Donald Binks

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 12:41 am

It's all rather sad really. We are all talking about entertainment basically - not trying to solve the national debt; so it is hard to fathom how people can become so serious about it all. Then again I find it hard to take anything seriously anyway. If anyone takes offence at what I say, just don't read it. :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 8:20 am

Louie, I will talk about El Brendel any time after seeing The Meanest Man in the World.

I am sure there are people at that site who know so much more than any of us about silent comedy, so it's baffling why the main thing they talk about is this site. NitrateVille is what it is, which is to say, happy to be welcoming to new folks, even if (horrors) they ask the same things that were already asked on A.M.S. in 2002. But it is an open, largely unmoderated-unless-it-needs-to-be forum and if you want it to be at a more scholarly level, all you have to do is take it there. The last way to grow one is to impose the death penalty on another highly knowledgeable person because, egad, they disagreed with you— or could even be right.

Again, Bob, always happy to have you here and benefit from your knowledge.

sepiatone

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 9:50 am

Donald Binks wrote:It's all rather sad really. We are all talking about entertainment basically - not trying to solve the national debt; so it is hard to fathom how people can become so serious about it all. Then again I find it hard to take anything seriously anyway. If anyone takes offence at what I say, just don't read it. :D

as Barry Williams(playing Greg Brady) might have said "here!, here!" . what do i know, Im enjoying the episodes of the Brady Bunch when they went to Hawaii. Was that '72 or '73? The joys of YT.

Similarly and perhaps more seriously, I remembered some quote from a friend or costar of the great Roy Kinnear, shortly after his death while filming a scene in Spain in 1988. She expressed her sorrow over man dedicated to his craft giving his life. "It's only a movie".

momsne

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am

I like Richard Roberts' line: "This is your last warning." To bad there is no way to put an audio background to this message, say the "Dragnet" opening instrumental theme: "Dum. . . de - DUM - DUM."

boblipton

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Gracious! Who would have thought that Lewis Carroll would be so off-putting!

Ay weel. Hope it hasn't ruined anyone's Thanksgiving or generic Thursday for non-US citizens.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

rudyfan

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 pm

LouieD wrote:Good thing I continue researching a comedian no one gives a shit about.

This is why I totally just love you Louie! :D

ElectricPhonograph

PostFri Nov 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Not to linger on Mister Roberts, but, I must say: In my few years of being here on the board, I've never been refused answers or treated unkindly by anyone but him.

It's a shame, too, because I'm not at fault, as far as I know. There' s only so much I can take in in 13 years of life, I must ask questions to learn! :D
"This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it." - Dorothy Parker

LouieD

PostSat Nov 30, 2013 2:13 pm

rudyfan wrote:
LouieD wrote:Good thing I continue researching a comedian no one gives a shit about.

This is why I totally just love you Louie! :D

:D

FrankFay

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:05 am

Gloria Rampage wrote:Please read the actual thread before posting judgmental remarks:

http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewto ... ?f=5&t=969" target="_blank

As usual, there was a small disagreement over a relatively minor point, and R.R. loaded his cannon with exploding shells filled with acid. This even poisons the good work he has done - I don't think I can listen to the commentary on Weiss-O-Rama again.
Eric Stott

Nosferatu

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 am

I thought it was Sabiston :shock:

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 01, 2013 11:16 am

OKAY YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!

(just kidding)

Okay, seriously, I really think we ought not to go after one individual who can't defend himself here. I'm sure he'll continue to issue 5000-word updates on our awfulness regardless, but we, at least, can be the silents and early talkies site that actually talks about silents and early talkies. So I'm closing this up.

Return to Site Chat