Quote Boxes

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

Quote Boxes

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Could someone please explain how to quote from another Nitrateville posting? Had a go once, but made a pig's ear of it and have not tried since. Usually means when I've quoted or referred to another of our Fraternity / Sorority it looks decidedly clumsy. And yes, I know a four-year-old could do it, but the only one in our household has four paws, whiskers and a tail...

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Quote Boxes

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 4:17 pm

All the BBCodes work the same way.

[CODE] starts it, [/CODE] ends it. Replace "CODE" with "quote" and what's in between will go in a quote box. Replace it with "i" and you'll get italics. Etc.

To add someone's name, do the beginning code like this:

[quote="Louise Lovely"]
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 4:23 pm

That's quick - thank you! Will have a go tomorrow as getting a bit late and don't want to be in the dog-house (or cat basket in our case...)

boblipton

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 4:26 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Could someone please explain how to quote from another Nitrateville posting? Had a go once, but made a pig's ear of it and have not tried since. Usually means when I've quoted or referred to another of our Fraternity / Sorority it looks decidedly clumsy. And yes, I know a four-year-old could do it, but the only one in our household has four paws, whiskers and a tail...

Well, the simplest way to do it is to start out by taking the post you wish to quote from and hit the "quote" button on the upper right corner of the post. That gives you a markup page, which you can then add things to or edit the quote down to the parts you wish to quote. You'll notice a bracket quoting section open up, and at the end a bracket, backslash, close bracket. Don't muck with the brackets.

The other way to quote is to highlight whatever it is you wish to quote and select it. Then start a new post and when you wish to insert your quote, click on the quote button at the top, fourth from the left. Place the cursor between the two sets of brackets and hit the paste button. The text you wish to quote appears therein and is marked off as a quote, although without the attribution, like this:

The other way to quote is to highlight whatever it is you wish to quote and select it. Then start a new post and when you wish to insert your quote, click on the quote button at the top, fourth from the left. Place the cursor between the two sets of brackets and hit the paste button. The text you wish to quote appears therein and is marked off as a quote, although without the attribution, like this:

That's several steps, so practice might be a good thing. Preview the post before you submit it. It's all mechanical and obvious to a five-year-old boy, but I don't think any of us are five-year-old boys.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Jul 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks, boblipton. Had one successful go just now. Hope this one goes ok, as slightly trickier...

Return to Site Chat